PTer OT Crackdown?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by FrigidAdCorrector, Aug 26, 2014.

1. So they've been cracking down on OT in my building the last couple of weeks. Which is a problem because we're short. Yesterday they called a couple of the guys on my shift to see if they could help out on preload. They showed up and worked but on their way out were told they could only work one hour on our sort as they weren't allowed to go OT. It completely screwed our sort. All the guys on preload were timed out so they couldn't come in and help. We ended up having drivers unload their trucks but we were still short in other areas of the building.

Is anywhere else experiencing this madness? I just can't figure out how having a couple low seniority PTers avoid OT makes sense when drivers are being paid way more to do the same job.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  2. aiian

aiian Active Member

It's nothing new.

Here they make preload punch out 15 min. before the drivers start wether the trucks are wrapped or not.

Spending nickels to make pennies is what made UPS what it is today.
  3. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

I've been averaging 28-30 hrs a week on preload since June...Most days I don't clock out till almost 930. Two more weeks...and summer peak is over!
  4. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Us drivers need to eat too. Throw some OT our way ;).
  5. fres431

fres431 Active Member

Other pick up jobs can't effect your primary sort. Plus when you report to a shift as a part timer your guaranteed I think your owed 2.5 hrs for afternoon shift
  6. bleedinbrown58

I'll bite my tongue on the first response that popped in my Let's go with...The price of grass is going up...I'm assuming you're grass-fed veal? :)
  7. saintrick

saintrick Member

We have the OT crunch going on here also.

Management has told us no more double shifting is allowed.

If we just have to have people they use lower seniority employees to better manage the OT.

Also openly using supervisors to do the work. They would rather pay the grievance than have the OT on the books.
  8. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Everyone should refuse other shifts if they can't work their normal shift as well.
  9. AndUPSER

AndUPSER Active Member

Day sort boss was told by the DM nobody is allowed to double shift starting a couple of weeks ago.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Even though DM spend a decent amount of time observing operations it's my experiance that they don't really have any clue how many man hours it takes to get the work done.
  11. you aint even know it

you aint even know it Well-Known Troll Troll

Its all about numbers. I'm assuming that you're on the local sort. This bull has been going on in my center ever since. Drivers unload their trucks everyday and my shop steward who is sucking up to the center manager because he wants to go driving does nothing. The clown will be gone in April, nobody likes the fool.
  12. you aint even know it

I hate when incompetent shop stewards think that they're doing us a favor, like seriously, step down already, you're just making everyone hate you.
  13. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Stfu troll
  14. bleedinbrown58

As long as you are getting your 3.5 a day...and sups aren't touching packages...what would you like your steward to do...tell a driver who's already on the clock to stop working so you can have more hours?
  15. you aint even know it

By the drivers working, that prevents us from working more than our 3.5 hours. Supervisors work alongside our shop steward while holding conversations every single day. Like I said, nobody likes the guy, and he will be gone soon.
  16. you aint even know it

Why are you taking it so personal? Were/are you a bad shop steward (who got throwned out for incompetence)?
  17. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

This is UPS, nothing makes sense. They'd rather pay a driver $50+/hr than let pters work overtime. Stupid, I know
  18. Returntosender

Returntosender Well-Known Member

The double shift codes are showing up on reports. Atlanta wants to know why preload employees are flagged on center payroll reports. As a previous poster said years ago" As long as you're overtime, and injury don't show up my operations report, it's not my problem it's your manager problem"
  19. Returntosender

Returntosender Well-Known Member

Then file for supervisor working.
  20. Reaction Junkie

Reaction Junkie New Member

PT Crack is going down at freight ot but pay the toped oui driver to do the work on their ot rate..Hello? Anybody in there? Freaking Rocket surgeons.