Pull the wall down onto Extendo. Do it, pull it!

smapple

So going through training, yada yada. Supervisor on the floor says do as he tells us or he lets us go Friday, says to pull down the wall onto the extendo and let it come crashing down to save time. Trainer in the room where we watch videos says never ever do this or else get fired and be blacklisted from hire by UPS. I want and can do the work, but don't want to get fired by the current supervisor for not doing what he says, but also don't want to get fired for breaking safety rules and equipment rules that I signed off on.What do?

Nostromo

So going through training, yada yada. Supervisor on the floor says do as he tells us or he lets us go Friday, says to pull down the wall onto the extendo and let it come crashing down to save time. Trainer in the room where we watch videos says never ever do this or else get fired and be blacklisted from hire by UPS. I want and can do the work, but don't want to get fired by the current supervisor for not doing what he says, but also don't want to get fired for breaking safety rules and equipment rules that I signed off on.What do?

Retract the extendo a little bit to clear the falling packages and start unloading.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Work as directed.

giphy.gif

brostalss

The good old days of the extendos only going 40ft inside the 53ft trailor.

The wall had to come down. Pull a few from the center, reach your arm up and pull. Boxes all around you. And if you did it right. Not one touched you.

Don Spite

Work as directed except in cases where directions conflict with methods. i.e. a Supervisor directing you to lift with your back conflicts with safety methods and should not be followed, and they can do nothing about it. You cannot be fired for following methods, it doesn't matter what a Supe says.

Don Spite

The good old days of the extendos only going 40ft inside the 53ft trailor.

The wall had to come down. Pull a few from the center, reach your arm up and pull. Boxes all around you. And if you did it right. Not one touched you.
The "good old days" are still around where I work!

smapple

Thanks for all the replies, found out today that the guy "went on vacation for rest of the week" which from personal experience usually means "fired". Might be wrong, maybe he really decided to use his vac time and I'll see him Monday. Did a mental count of the load today, only helped out with the last 10%~15% where the extendo/roller doesn't reach far back in those trailers but I would have had to go up and down ~800+ times on the unload/load stand carrying an armful of these paper-light 4in x 4in x 3ft boxes because there were literally thousands of these things, and doing steps for 4.5 hours straight feels like it would be impossible. By pulling the wall the belt kept getting jammed because of too many packages and the sorter was cursing at us ":censored2: this b**smilet" nonstop. I can't even imagine how bad it would've been if I were there since the beginning, I would've probably started going hand-to-air-to-surface and just tossing them on the belt. When I brought the issue up with ft manager he stuck to going by the training, but what the hell sersly there would've been no way to get the trailer done by the time he said it had to be empty which was 9:40 and there were 4 of us in there. Kinda feels like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Don Spite

Thanks for all the replies, found out today that the guy "went on vacation for rest of the week" which from personal experience usually means "fired". Might be wrong, maybe he really decided to use his vac time and I'll see him Monday. Did a mental count of the load today, only helped out with the last 10%~15% where the extendo/roller doesn't reach far back in those trailers but I would have had to go up and down ~800+ times on the unload/load stand carrying an armful of these paper-light 4in x 4in x 3ft boxes because there were literally thousands of these things, and doing steps for 4.5 hours straight feels like it would be impossible. By pulling the wall the belt kept getting jammed because of too many packages and the sorter was cursing at us ":censored2: this b**smilet" nonstop. I can't even imagine how bad it would've been if I were there since the beginning, I would've probably started going hand-to-air-to-surface and just tossing them on the belt. When I brought the issue up with ft manager he stuck to going by the training, but what the hell sersly there would've been no way to get the trailer done by the time he said it had to be empty which was 9:40 and there were 4 of us in there. Kinda feels like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Don't let them pressure you by saying trailer X needs to be empty by time Y. Don't be a slug, but don't kill yourself either. Keep a steady, safe pace. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

In my experience supervisors care little about their "underlings" following methods except when it's their bollocks on the line (i.e. when a worker inspection occurs), because if things don't get done by a certain time then they're the ones who get yelled at.

They chose to be Supes, it's not your problem.

Box Ox

Being told to pull down walls is absolutely ridiculous. Sups have never pushed back whenever I've loudly refused (so everyone knows what's going on and it doesn't become a he said/she said thing) to do something that's clearly unsafe. I'd tell yours to make my d*mn day. Hate to put it that way but that shouldn't ever have to happen.

Indecisi0n

When I use to help I would see how many packages I could pull out the wall without it falling. It was fun.

They never asked me to help after that.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Keep in mind you are in a probation period ... don't do anything unsafe but otherwise work as directed.
Be respectful and discreet since your continued employment rests in the hands of the person asking you to do this.