Pull the wall down onto Extendo. Do it, pull it!

RealPerson

So going through training, yada yada. Supervisor on the floor says do as he tells us or he lets us go Friday, says to pull down the wall onto the extendo and let it come crashing down to save time. Trainer in the room where we watch videos says never ever do this or else get fired and be blacklisted from hire by UPS. I want and can do the work, but don't want to get fired by the current supervisor for not doing what he says, but also don't want to get fired for breaking safety rules and equipment rules that I signed off on.What do?
SUP can Not fire you. At least not in Central Region.

LKLND3380

Are you using the steps and bringing the extendo up? If not, how do you get those packages down? All the supes care about is getting you off the clock... One all the trailers are done, you are done unless they need you for airs. They don't care about blowing out the belts/mis sorts, empty the trailers...

Pulling down a wall IS NOT PROPER METHODS and you can get fired, written up, warning letter. IF you are injured while doing this - over extending, hit with falling packages - it's all on YOU.

Work as directed and make sure you document, have witnesses that the supe asked you to do this. Talk to your Union Steward about this unsafe behavior and have a meeting with: PT Supe, Union Steward, Preload Supe, Safety Supe and Center Manager to clarify what is expected.

Sounds like you are a new seasonal... Do you want to stay on past Dec 31 and work Part Time at UPS for the next five to ten years (if you want to become a driver)? It's a game and Supes make up the game as they go along...

Realistically, I know a guy who can unload a feeder in 15 to 20 minutes... One guy unloading with two people sorting him. All the package wont be labels up but who cares... The Supes will say knock out these trailers in 3 1/2 hours and we will give each of you Gatorade. 4+ hours worth of work done in 3 1/2 hours. Six unloaders and Six sorters each working 1/2 hour less equals 6 hours saved. A new hire throwing out of a feeder makes what now? $9.50 an hour?? Sorters are skilled and generally non seasonal so they make more per hour but lets pretend EVERYONE is making entry level $9.50 - $9.50 x 6 hours equals $57 saved by UPS. But hey everyone in the unload each got a $1.00 Gatorade as incentive... The each gave up 1/2 hour pay $4.75 for a $1.00 Gatorade... What a bunch of brain surgeons...

Belts are blown out... Package Cars are stacked out... Missed work at the end of the belts...
Drivers are here... Let the Drivers finish loading those package cars...
This is the game called UPS

jrh

Thanks for all the replies, found out today that the guy "went on vacation for rest of the week" which from personal experience usually means "fired". Might be wrong, maybe he really decided to use his vac time and I'll see him Monday. Did a mental count of the load today, only helped out with the last 10%~15% where the extendo/roller doesn't reach far back in those trailers but I would have had to go up and down ~800+ times on the unload/load stand carrying an armful of these paper-light 4in x 4in x 3ft boxes because there were literally thousands of these things, and doing steps for 4.5 hours straight feels like it would be impossible. By pulling the wall the belt kept getting jammed because of too many packages and the sorter was cursing at us ":censored2: this b**smilet" nonstop. I can't even imagine how bad it would've been if I were there since the beginning, I would've probably started going hand-to-air-to-surface and just tossing them on the belt. When I brought the issue up with ft manager he stuck to going by the training, but what the hell sersly there would've been no way to get the trailer done by the time he said it had to be empty which was 9:40 and there were 4 of us in there. Kinda feels like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

welcome to UPS man. Just be sure to count your working days; after 30 you can work at your own pace and tell management you're working safely as possible any time they snap at you. Don't take their yelling to heart, they are just trying to make their numbers but it should never come at the cost of safety. Any higher management will agree with this position because workman's comp claims are far more costly than missed numbers. Also make sure you're in the union.