pulling in mirrors

hypocrisy

Banned
Sounds to me like after your typical stop/park car routine, you would step down to the drivers side step then looooooook to your left, completely scanning for oncoming traffic. Then looooooooook to your right scanning again for hazards and oncoming traffic. Then loooooooooook to your left again scanning for oncoming hazards and traffic. Then reach out and pull the mirror in.

Repeat for passenger side.

Open door and select package.

repeat scan on passenger side before stepping down (as area picture may have changed) holding the handrail.

Deliver package

Enter package car and replace diad in holder etc.

Repeat scan on passenger side Left Right Left, pull in mirror.

Move to drivers side step and repeat scan prior to pulling in Drivers side mirror.

Total time at stop (typical resi stop): +/-10 minutes.

What's the problem?

In related news, UPS recently announced that due to newly implemented safety procedures they expect to double their driver workforce effective immediately. President Obama thanked UPS CEO Scott Davis for single-handedly solving the US unemployment problem.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The philosphy behind all of these idiotic and pointless rules is actually quite simple.

If the company spews out a large enough volume of conflicting and mutually exclusive policies and procedures, it creates a no-win scenario for the employee. Any action we take to obey one rule will automatically cause us to break a different one, and any accidents or injuries that occur will always be the result of the driver failing to follow one of those rules. No matter what happens, the company will always be right and the employee will always be wrong.

Its not about preventing accidents or injuries; its about assigning the blame for them.
soberups,

I agree with you and I believe it goes even further.

Many weak willed people will not report injuries because they don't want the hassle of being "blamed".

This I believe is the ultimate goal:

To keep downward pressure on injury numbers by creating a system whereby many individuals will think long and hard before reporting injuries.

The hassles, harassment, intimidation and coercion are all framed by the rhetoric Report All Injuries Regardless Severity.

Sincerely,
I

barnyard

KTM rider
How many mirrors in you center have been broke because someone hit your mirror while you where parked ?? None is my center.

Mirrors get broke because the city and towns don't trim the trees on the side of the roads and the car wash people can't drive.

We where told we even had to pull them it when parked in a parking lot.

That is what I asked my center manager and supe when they told us to fold them in.

Shockingly they did not answer.

I did fold it in for one entire day. The end range motion was a killer. At the end of the day, I asked if they wanted to file an injury report, they told me to quit folding the mirrors.

It still comes up every now and then. When it does, I ask how many have been wrecked and if they really want us doing an end range motion all day.

We waste too much time on this vs. the number of mirrors that have been broke by a sideswipe crash.

barnyard

KTM rider
I asked today and off the record it was kinda an end range motion.

If is not 'kind of an end range motion,' it is the very definition of an end range motion.

Do it for a day. At the end of the day, go to the office and ask if you can report a shoulder injury. If you do it at every stop, your shoulder should be sore. If they want you to go to a Dr, go, it's their money.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That is what I asked my center manager and supe when they told us to fold them in.

Shockingly they did not answer.

I did fold it in for one entire day. The end range motion was a killer. At the end of the day, I asked if they wanted to file an injury report, they told me to quit folding the mirrors.

It still comes up every now and then. When it does, I ask how many have been wrecked and if they really want us doing an end range motion all day.

We waste too much time on this vs. the number of mirrors that have been broke by a sideswipe crash.
Ive had two broke in 20 yrs, what is that 6 bucks. What is one driver cost getting sideswiped, and losing and arm?

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ive had two broke in 20 yrs, what is that 6 bucks. What is one driver cost getting sideswiped, and losing and arm?

He lost his arm because he forgot to recite the Ten Point Commentary and keep his feet shoulder width apart while pulling in the mirror. And he didnt turn in any sales leads either. He should have joined the Safety Committee and handed out some banannas.

OptimusPrime

The philosphy behind all of these idiotic and pointless rules is actually quite simple.

If the company spews out a large enough volume of conflicting and mutually exclusive policies and procedures, it creates a no-win scenario for the employee. Any action we take to obey one rule will automatically cause us to break a different one, and any accidents or injuries that occur will always be the result of the driver failing to follow one of those rules. No matter what happens, the company will always be right and the employee will always be wrong.

Its not about preventing accidents or injuries; its about assigning the blame for them.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this makes sense to me. Basically paint the employee into a corner, so management can always spin it and come out on top. Though I will never understand why they treat drivers this way. I could understand hourly being treated that way. Easily replaceable.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Its back and with a vengeance. I did it all day today, and my shoulder, and whole back is a killin me. we got a message in caps, to do it. So I guess they really really mean it, coz some guy wenht down a driveway too fast and wapped a mirror, so now do I fight back, go off on injury, all comments, who do I call, ghostbusters?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Go in this morning and file a repetitive motion injury. Demand it!!! Why? Because I am sitting in a hospital after having MAJOR spine surgery. I have spinal cord damage, and my neck is full of things found at your local Lowes. Then, file a complaint with OSHA, a mistake I made that will never get overlooked again. Their policies are causing
injuries. Not to mention, thee are other reasons I will PM you if you want.
And Nancy, this is not addressed to you. Your arrogant rantings are not wanted.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
When your in a tight city like N.Y Boston L.A etc it makes sense with out being told,but in a resi neighborhood in E. Bumchum,,,it's plain stupid !! This is another safety tip from a beancounter who never drove the truck !!

I refuse to do it.... Not only is it an end range motion but I will not be the first one to lose a hand or worse yet be struck in the head trying to pull it back out.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If we can afford telematics and keyless entry we can afford a motorized mirror that automatically pulls in when the ignition is shut off. It's amazing how we will spend millions on technology to increase production and zero on safety.

iowa boy

If we can afford telematics and keyless entry we can afford a motorized mirror that automatically pulls in when the ignition is shut off. It's amazing how we will spend millions on technology to increase production and zero on safety.

Remember BM,

Production is more important than safety. That's not amazing at all, that's UPS. :slap:

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Go in this morning and file a repetitive motion injury. Demand it!!! Why? Because I am sitting in a hospital after having MAJOR spine surgery. I have spinal cord damage, and my neck is full of things found at your local Lowes. Then, file a complaint with OSHA, a mistake I made that will never get overlooked again. Their policies are causing
injuries. Not to mention, thee are other reasons I will PM you if you want.
And Nancy, this is not addressed to you. Your arrogant rantings are not wanted.

Repetitive motion, Agreed.

Watch, then they'll create the " 8 keys to opening and folding mirror", with 8 different ways of doing it so as not to cause repetitive motion.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have one of the Freightliners with the low, forward mounted mirrors. You almost have to get out to fold them. No way!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is an appropriate time, place and manner to fold the mirrors in, just as there is an appropriate time place and manner for honking the horn or backing into a driveway. Mindless, unquestioning and absolute obedience to every single method regardless of the situation is fine if you are in management...but those of us who are out there in the real world trying to make service on the packages need to use common sense instead.