Purchasing a Ground Route

Boxmover

I am debating purchasing a small ground route that has 4 pick ups and 1 line haul per day. The route already has a driver. The truck is old with a million miles. What are some things I should look out for, other than the old truck?

i am new to this forum, first time poster.

​thanks

thedownhillEXPRESS

I am debating purchasing a small ground route that has 4 pick ups and 1 line haul per day. The route already has a driver. The truck is old with a million miles. What are some things I should look out for, other than the old truck?

i am new to this forum, first time poster.

​thanks

I would start by looking into the guy trying to sell you a route and a truck with a million miles on it.

Then browse through the "Ground is a scam" threads and some others that fancy your interest to get an idea of what you are up against.

BBSam is a very "pro" ground contractor.

Nick (with some number after his name) is a very anti ground contractor.

Play them off each other.

I would personally rather invest in a port a Jon business instead of Ground.

Boxmover

I would start by looking into the guy trying to sell you a route and a truck with a million miles on it.

Then browse through the "Ground is a scam" threads and some others that fancy your interest to get an idea of what you are up against.

BBSam is a very "pro" ground contractor.

Nick (with some number after his name) is a very anti ground contractor.

Play them off each other.

I would personally rather invest in a port a Jon business instead of Ground.

can you explain upon this?

STFXG

Learn about the company you want to partner with. Then learn about the company you want to buy. Do your research and then come with specific questions. If you haven't heard of Fred S then you haven't even started. Good luck.

Boxmover

Learn about the company you want to partner with. Then learn about the company you want to buy. Do your research and then come with specific questions. If you haven't heard of Fred S then you haven't even started. Good luck.

Thanks for the response. I guess one of my concerns is the ISP model change. The guy selling the route is classified as PSA. Also, I've read in certain places that FedEx requires an owner to own multiple routes. I was told by the owner of this route that is not the case. He only owns this route?????

sjh

Thanks for the response. I guess one of my concerns is the ISP model change. The guy selling the route is classified as PSA. Also, I've read in certain places that FedEx requires an owner to own multiple routes. I was told by the owner of this route that is not the case. He only owns this route?????

Wait, is this a Linehaul route, or is it a Ground route? I don't think Linehaul has requirements for owning more than one route. But I'm fairly clueless in that area. Ground "technically" requires it, but there are ways around it (forming an LLC with other single-route owners). We know plenty in our terminal who do that.

Also, there is a requirement that you must have a year of driving the same size truck (or tractor) as you will be driving within the past three years. Have you? And I might be concerned with the truck. Is it old, or just have a lot of mileage? Whose engine is inside?

There are a lot of questions to be asked, so if you just heard this could be a good venture but haven't looked at numbers personally, you'll get screwed so fast.

Boxmover

Wait, is this a Linehaul route, or is it a Ground route? I don't think Linehaul has requirements for owning more than one route. But I'm fairly clueless in that area. Ground "technically" requires it, but there are ways around it (forming an LLC with other single-route owners). We know plenty in our terminal who do that.

Also, there is a requirement that you must have a year of driving the same size truck (or tractor) as you will be driving within the past three years. Have you? And I might be concerned with the truck. Is it old, or just have a lot of mileage? Whose engine is inside?

There are a lot of questions to be asked, so if you just heard this could be a good venture but haven't looked at numbers personally, you'll get screwed so fast.

The route has 4 pickups and 1 linehaul per day. Averages 350-400 miles a day.