Put in my 2 week notice today

J

jcroche

mojobuc - may your future be as bright as the evening star that will grant your every wish and may the lessons you learned (both good and bad) while working for UPS lead you to a prosperous future.

wily_old_ vet, sendagain6160 - yes, there is life after UPS and it is great! Congrats on making it through a tough career. I pulled the plug three years ago after 35 years. Like I've said before - "I don't miss the job, but I do miss some of the people".

As a side note - about a year before my last day, I bought a "count-down" clock. It gives the days, hours, minutes and seconds until an event happens. Every night when I came in, I'd put it on my desk - drove my Managers crazy!
biggrin.gif

roach

W

wkmac

jcroche,
A driver sup. who retired a year or so ago put one of those retirement clocks on his computer screen as a type of screen saver. What was really funny is another sup with what seemed like 50 years to go did the same thing and it was a hoot. I told him one day that if I was him and came in and saw that clock every day I'd just go on and commit suicide!
rofl.gif

Our sort manager who retired a little over a year ago with 35 years came by last week and it was so good to see him. He calls me every few months just to keep up and he's a damn good UPSer and from the old school too. He sez the same as you, life after UPS is wonderful. He could be demanding and would hold you accountable but he was loyal and fair but what was interesting was since he stopped by, those among both the hourly and pt management ranks who remembered him, with turnover it was amazing how many had no clue who he was, all were in agreement that we'd give anything to have him back. He was a teacher more than anything else and more than anything else that is what is needed.

You so-called "old hands" are truly missed. I'm just glad you aren't around to see how the great legacy that was built by your hard work is being demantled at an alarming rate by pencil pushers who ain't got a damn clue and in most cases couldn't run a small sort operation if their life depended on it!

Signed:
Extremely frustrated and becoming ever more FedUp!

S

sendagain6160

wiley old vet...just look at all,of the changes we have been through.From paper and a sig at every stop and the old do it yourself time cards.We started out in a building so old and run down that we had to run the rats out of the pkg cars in order to load them.It was rough,but a great bunch of guys and gals.I know that 11 and 12 hour days was just normal.Of course UPS was brand new to Arkansas and the drivers was the backbone of the co.I personally think that has changed.Today I feel like we have too many chiefs and not enough indians...Just had to get that off my shoulders..

W

wily_old_vet

Ah the good old days. Most people working at UPS don't know who Jim Casey was and don't realize that at one time we didn't deliver to every state. That's one of the things that galls me about Fedex and DHL taking some of our ground volume. They never would have made it if they had had to convince each individual state to allow the delivery rights within that state. That's my rant.

M

mojobuc

cheers.gif

Well today was IT!
I was scheduled for vacation next week so today it was official.

Since they don't have farewell partys for 3 year employee, I had my own and bought the preload Dunkin's doughnuts for break. Got my long time unloaders, splitters and the clerk bagels
as my way to say good bye.

It was bitter sweet everyone said they hated seeing me go, wished me well, good luck and one threatened me to stay since I was one of the few 'good ones', but..

I feel good and feel it was the right thing to do at the right time.

ALMOST streaked down the belt at the end of the sort singing 'I'm Free' but caught a hold of myself before I got laughed out of the building.
}

C

crappie

mojobuc you did the right thing.you were on a dead end job.good luck there is life after UPS .

M

mojobuc

1 month later, and just now getting used to sleeping in till 6 AM.
happy.gif

just felt like updateing since I had a current UPS'er stop by and see me today.

Don't know if you guys remember me saying something about an hourly that told me to "get out of her face"
she saw my truck at my small business today and came in to say hello and update of building activities, which was really cool.

She told me they are not getting down in the preload until after 9am and the guy that took over for me is an _______. And they are going on another new BM, today was my ex's last day at that center.
IS it normal to go thru 4 in less then 4 years?

Anyway life is good, but actually do miss the job somewhat, more so the people, but miss it all the same.

X

xracer

over, we have a guy in our center who states the same thing. Right now he is out on 6 months mental leave following 4 days lockdown in the mental health unit of the local hospital.

X

xracer

His book deal and lawsuit against UPS both seem to have failed, blamed big brown for divorce and all of lifes problems. To correct myself I believe he said that the teamsters are done in 08 and UPS will fall 3 years later. I am sure that Nostradamus was ridaculed in his time..?? Think about it..Crazy now but considered a profit with insite to future generations..

X

xracer

sory aboat mye speling arrers butt I eppreciate yor help with mye lack of grematical nolege, I hoop thet thes wol halp whit mye spalling<font face="arial,helvetica"></font><font face="courier new,courier"></font><font face="symbol"></font><font face="times new roman,times,roman"></font><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica"></font>

T

trickpony1

That's amazing!
It seems to coincide with a statement in my stepdaughter's textbook of a business class at college, to the effect"....UPS employees have a higher incidence of anxiety and depression than [general workforce].
So maybe the guy that's on lockdown really isn't faking it.