Putting in my driver bid

Maple7

So about 3 months ago I was told over the phone that I was hired for the day sort position which was to open within a few weeks. While with the economy the way it is that few weeks has turned into a few months as I continue to wait. My question is what’s the earliest I can put my name in for a driver position? I’m assuming that I can’t get my name down until my first day that I’m actually on the job? Is this correct? What kind of steps do I need to take?

So about 3 months ago I was told over the phone that I was hired for the day sort position which was to open within a few weeks. While with the economy the way it is that few weeks has turned into a few months as I continue to wait. My question is what’s the earliest I can put my name in for a driver position? I’m assuming that I can’t get my name down until my first day that I’m actually on the job? Is this correct? What kind of steps do I need to take?
In most areas (as attested to on here) the first step is to wait somewhere between 2 and 5 years.

brownrodster

I highly doubt very many centers will be needing new drivers right now. Most centers have drivers on lay off. Those layed off drivers come back when they need more drivers.

At this point, a new hire at our center would certainly have to wait 4-5 years to become a driver. The wait might be even longer as I bet some of thse 22.3 employees they've screwed over here will probably decide to bid into driver.

Maple7

Maybe I worded my question poorly. I know it’s a long long wait......sigh. I'm just curious how I go about just getting my name on the list? And when is the earliest I can do this?

blue efficacy

There is no "list."

When there is a driver job open, a "bid sheet" is posted. Everybody who wants the job puts their name and seniority number on it.

Whoever has the most seniority gets the job.

some1else

Banned
he can sign the reg temp list once he attains seniority (30days) this way you can work as a driver for probably oct-christmass and get some experience. also you will make alot more than inside!

FAVREFAN

There is no "list."

When there is a driver job open, a "bid sheet" is posted. Everybody who wants the job puts their name and seniority number on it.

Whoever has the most seniority gets the job.
Where I am, there is a list and you need to ad your name to it each year. It's about 7-8 year wait around here.

UPSGUY72

In my local they put a list up the first two weeks in Jan. If you want to be a driver you sign the list. The list is good for a year. The list goes by senority. But don't let anyone tell you not to sign the list becasue you'll never get a drivers job. People with more senority might just be signing the list for the hell of it or have bad driving records. So if you want a position when your in the union sign the list no matter what anyone tells you.

By the way it only took me 11 months to get a drivers job. I'm currently laid off from driving and back working the pre-load and collecting. But they can't hire anyone else till I'm back working. Which will be June 1st