Putting in My Letter of Intent

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That would be standard procedure here, given the situation.

Not here. 15 year driver who grew up locally crossed over. Well respected by both hourlies and management. The hardest part was when he had to discipline one of his "buddies". In his case it worked out well but there are others for whom it would not work out quite as well.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Hard to argue with that logic. The day I retire will be sooner than I originally had planned, mostly due to the fact it's not fun anymore, as a driver. The days are way too long which strains the home life and beats you up physically. I'm just trying to put a bit more away, which is a benefit of long hours. If I was a 15 year driver with 20 years to go I would definitely feel trapped. I would try to change shifts, maybe a 22.3 job. Something less stressful, physical, and wouldn't lower my pension.
i spent 3 hours listening to my best friend complaining about the job. everything that people here complain about. he and his wife will make close to 200k this year and it was obvious that he was not very happy.

i'm retired and getting 3k a month and can do anything i want and am 10 times happier than when i was working and making 3 times as much.

go figure.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Damn this was a long thread to catch up...LOL

1) Get your withdrawal card from the union. If it doesn't work out, you can continue a Teamster career in another company.
(surprised no one mentioned this)
2) Find out what you have earned yourself when you turn 57 from your union hall.
3) If you were looking into a change of scenery, Feeders would be ideal as you can spend time with your kids during the day.
4) Moving into management only pads your resume and increases piles of paperwork. More responsibility with no increased pay.
5) It would scare the :censored2: out of me to train new drivers. Our increased responsibility, diad knowledge, and telematics are insane.
6) Hours won't change much. You come in around 7 and once or twice a week you close up. Leaving the building at 5 or 6 is par. We start around 9 and most in my group leave around 8. No difference.
7) Hopefully you are very friendly with your management team at your center. They will be the ones that will most likely be promoted ahead of you and you need friends at high levels.
8) I feel you should wait until your divorce has cemented itself. Making life changing decisions DURING life changing decisions are DANGEROUS.

You are a good person (from your internet persona) and we need good people running things who have driven before.
Whatever your decision is , good luck and don't be a stranger to the BC

We got our answer to that early. Doesn't want the physical work anymore. Thats the only upside so I guess understandable.
Not making this a management against union thing. But......No way in Hell would II cross over. They treat management worse than they treat us. Plus I'm sure it would be a pay cut. I may be tired and worn out when I get home but at least I'm done for the day. In management you are never really off.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not making this a management against union thing. But......No way in Hell would II cross over. They treat management worse than they treat us. Plus I'm sure it would be a pay cut. I may be tired and worn out when I get home but at least I'm done for the day. In management you are never really off.
Amen

I'd find a different career first.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I can't retire for another 20 years at the earliest anyways...

If it hasn't been mentioned;

You are probably vested in your current Union Pension Plan.

But, without the minimum years of service or contributions....

You can't touch that until "normal retirement age" (which will change)

On the flip side, can you meet the "requirements" in a new company plan ?

(if it still exists for "new hires")

Food for thought.

But then again looking to move on and use other skills that I have...

With that, movement can be good.

Pad your resume with a progressive decision, and look elsewhere.

The chances of ascending up the chain....

Are "slim to none".

This isn't 1997. :biggrin:

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Absolutely.

I've seen it numerous times. Usually for several reasons.

There is a need for someone, and you're available. (whether you like it or not)

There is a need for someone, and your company loyality is being tested.

As a lower level management person, you have become a liability.

(ie: to many "Union involved issues") ;)

To assume it doesn't happen.... is a fallacy.

Trust me.

Until, you contemplate retirement.

Just food for thought;

You might be vested in your Union pension plan....

But, you won't be eligible for benefits until "normal retirement age" because of

not satisfying the "minimum years" of requirement.

How about, that Company Pension Plan ?? What are their requirements ??

Will it be around ?

I would hope, those questions have been answered.

-Bug-

I've seen it also.

I have also seen sups not take the assignment. They did not want to move.

They were then blacklisted. A center manager was demoted to a sort sup and is still there, 15 years later.

A couple of on-road sups are still on-road sups and will be on-road sups until they retire. No chance of moving up the ladder.

If UPS wants you to move, you move or your career is over.

clean hairy

I don't know if this has been mentioned previously.
Health Insurance coverage.
Will you have big deductibles and co-pays you do not have now?
Is it the where you can still see your own Doc, or will you have to see only Docs in THEIR network? I would compare the plan you MIGHT be going into side by side with what you have now.
Don't know, but IF you have to provide health coverage for any of your Children, what will be the cost to add them on, and what coverage will they have?
This is some good info to check on first, as it could add up to a sizeable amount from your check you may have to part with each month just for premiums.

Anthonysg0113

I don't know if this has been mentioned previously.
Health Insurance coverage.
Will you have big deductibles and co-pays you do not have now?
Is it the where you can still see your own Doc, or will you have to see only Docs in THEIR network? I would compare the plan you MIGHT be going into side by side with what you have now.
Don't know, but IF you have to provide health coverage for any of your Children, what will be the cost to add them on, and what coverage will they have?
This is some good info to check on first, as it could add up to a sizeable amount from your check you may have to part with each month just for premiums.
You know he will have to pay for his insurance. That's why we don't go into management. Unless you get into trouble. Let him find out the hard way...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What is the point of locking a thread people are still responding to, and have an interest in? If the op wants it locked, he can request it. Til then if you feel nuff said, roll on by