Q About Saturday For Thanksgiving Weekend

A

anonymous6

I work a T-Sat week and my Saturday run for Thanksgiving weekend may be canceled.

I know we get paid for thurs-fri but do I have to lose a days pay if they cancel my Sat?

They have a sign up list for that Saturday for extra work. Do I automatically get to work or do they go by seniority? If they use seniority , I'll probably not work.

thanks in advance for anybody's help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I work a T-Sat week and my Saturday run for Thanksgiving weekend may be canceled. I know we get paid for thurs-fri but do I have to lose a days pay if they cancel my Sat? They have a sign up list for that Saturday for extra work. Do I automatically get to work or do they go by seniority? If they use seniority , I'll probably not work. Thanks in advance for anybody's help.

Are you sure that the sign up sheet is for Saturday, not Friday?

I'd be willing to bet that it is for Friday and that is done by seniority. I usually sign up as it is the easiest extra money that can be made. Our center pays us for the 8 (holiday) and then straight time for hours worked (Code 5--no lunch). Past threads have shown that this differs across the country--some are paid straight, others get time and 1/2. When I sign up I always make sure that I am not displacing any junior drivers that want to work. Most of the younger drivers don't want to work but if they don't get enough volunteers they force from the bottom up.

It will not be an issue this year as I am on vacation. My son and I are going to volunteer to help the Salvation Army serve meals to those less fortunate Thanksgiving Day and then will have our own meal and spend some time together.

A

anonymous6

we have sign up days for fri-sat and sunday.

i don't want to lose a day's pay by not being able to work sat.

T-S,you should work your normal Saturday. It might not be your normal run but it is your workday. Even though extra drivers may sign up to work you should get to choose available work before them also because it is your scheduled day,not extra.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I don't know what to say about this other than it might vary from local to local on your situation. I would think you would have first choice because if you covered some of the extra work to get your 8 hours it will be strait time and for everyone else it would be time and a half. At my building in this situation you would get your 8 before you would be bumped. From here on out my building will have extra work on Saturdays and Sundays from now thru peak. Black Friday also.

Ghost in the Darkness

The Saturday after Thanksgiving tends to be light. Its likely they cut down on the number of drivers they use so if you aren't near the top you might not work. You can sign up for the Friday if you want to work and they will probably use you.

over9five

Staff member
4uz2i.jpg