Qualifying to Be Permanent Driver

mrbrownstone

I work in the hub and drove over peak which I know doesn't count toward the 30 day qualifying period. Then they called me up May 6th to drive which I'm now doing.

On my first or second day the union rep told me that this is still seasonal driving. However, that same day the center manager asked me if there was any reason I couldn't work the next 31 days to which I responded that there wasn't any reason that I would not be available to work.

Since then I have had a brief ride along with an on car sup to see how I was doing and where I could improve. He stated he is happy with my progress and doesn't see any major issues other than just being better at organizing packages as I am looking for packages. He has also been going over the training manual with me and made a comment something along the lines of "you will have no problem qualifying or getting in" or something along those lines.

My question is does this mean they might be looking at this as my 30 days? No one specifically told me that from management. I know management isn't always the best at communicating so I have no idea what's going on.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

The Driver

I drive.
Could very well be. UPS is on a hiring spree for permanent driving right now as I understand it. Just keep your head down and do the best you can. Come in extra early on your 31st day and clock in before anyone sees you. :cool:

mrbrownstone

Have you signed a pt to ft bid??

Not that I am aware of. Is that something sup gives you if they think you're qualified or do you have to ask?

Sorry I haven't been with UPS that long and this is my 1st union job so I'm still learning how everything works

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

Not that I am aware of. Is that something sup gives you if they think you're qualified or do you have to ask?

Sorry I haven't been with UPS that long and this is my 1st union job so I'm still learning how everything works

It is a sheet the company posts on each work areas' communication board of available job openings. You sign it, have the most seniority of those whom signed, and the job is yours.

9.5er

Even if you are not working on a full time bid you are still working on your 30 day probation period. Once you get your 30 days in you will begin to work on your progression to top pay. Every week you drive atleast once it counts as a full week toward progression. Unless something has changed since I became a driver.
I was a temp driver for 3 years. After they hired me on full time I only had to work the first day to become qualified. I was already over halfway to top pay also.

mrbrownstone

Even if you are not working on a full time bid you are still working on your 30 day probation period. Once you get your 30 days in you will begin to work on your progression to top pay. Every week you drive atleast once it counts as a full week toward progression. Unless something has changed since I became a driver.
I was a temp driver for 3 years. After they hired me on full time I only had to work the first day to become qualified. I was already over halfway to top pay also.

Does this mean that I will be in the union as a driver after 30 days regardless of whether or not I am working on a full time bid? Like does it count toward my driver seniority also?

Sent using BrownCafe App

By The Book

I work in the hub and drove over peak which I know doesn't count toward the 30 day qualifying period. Then they called me up May 6th to drive which I'm now doing.

On my first or second day the union rep told me that this is still seasonal driving. However, that same day the center manager asked me if there was any reason I couldn't work the next 31 days to which I responded that there wasn't any reason that I would not be available to work.

Since then I have had a brief ride along with an on car sup to see how I was doing and where I could improve. He stated he is happy with my progress and doesn't see any major issues other than just being better at organizing packages as I am looking for packages. He has also been going over the training manual with me and made a comment something along the lines of "you will have no problem qualifying or getting in" or something along those lines.

My question is does this mean they might be looking at this as my 30 days? No one specifically told me that from management. I know management isn't always the best at communicating so I have no idea what's going on.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Ask your steward, with you present to ask your center manager what's up. Some people drive utility, and some get hired as drivers from the part time bid list to become drivers. If you are not the next highest guy on your part time seniority list, that's qualified and passed class, DMV printout,and it's downtown you it's probably utility. Lmk what your situation is.

mrbrownstone

Ask your steward, with you present to ask your center manager what's up. Some people drive utility, and some get hired as drivers from the part time bid list to become drivers. If you are not the next highest guy on your part time seniority list, that's qualified and passed class, DMV printout,and it's downtown you it's probably utility. Lmk what your situation is.

Not sure what you mean by utility but I passed class and dmv checks back in October before I drove for peak full time. After peak they kept me driving for a little while but as a PM Air driver. Then I was sent back to the hub from mid Jan until May. May 6 was my first day driving and right now they have me driving a training route full time with ot of course. I was told I would be on this training route for 3-4 months. After that I don't know what the plan is.

Sent using BrownCafe App

What is a Utility driver?