Quest from part time to full time driver

Brother...

I have been driving for 8 months now. Went ft coverage about three months ago. I will make 60k if I am lucky. Our center is hiring drivers left and right. Never work monday's...and only 50% of fridays. It's good to see your enthusiasm...I was the same. The job is what you make it. I am blessed with a good set of on car sups, and a great manager. That helps! I have found that it is more mental than physical. I would advise you to ask questions and listen to the veterans...you can learn alot! Find yourself a medium pace and be safe. Best of luck!

TheKingOfQueens

Brother...

I have been driving for 8 months now. Went ft coverage about three months ago. I will make 60k if I am lucky. Our center is hiring drivers left and right. Never work monday's...and only 50% of fridays. It's good to see your enthusiasm...I was the same. The job is what you make it. I am blessed with a good set of on car sups, and a great manager. That helps! I have found that it is more mental than physical. I would advise you to ask questions and listen to the veterans...you can learn alot! Find yourself a medium pace and be safe. Best of luck!

Thanks for the input . Really can use all the info I can get. I was speaking to someone and they had mentioned that to make full time book we've got to work 40 consecutive out of 70. Heard many stories of being sent home after you hit 38 39 days and being sent back to loading. Really nervous about this. I don't think I can survive loading again . Any pointers on how not to be that guy they do that to ??? Thanks my fellow UPS BROTHAS !!!!

Just created new account . Was "theupsguy83" using TheKingOfQueens from now on

By The Book

Thanks for the input . Really can use all the info I can get. I was speaking to someone and they had mentioned that to make full time book we've got to work 40 consecutive out of 70. Heard many stories of being sent home after you hit 38 39 days and being sent back to loading. Really nervous about this. I don't think I can survive loading again . Any pointers on how not to be that guy they do that to ??? Thanks my fellow UPS BROTHAS !!!!

Who told you the 40 consecutive out of 70. Call your local/ba to confirm. Ours is 30 in 90, not consecutive. Additional time can be added but it is for class time.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

Round here if they work you 31 days your in. They are in desprate need of drivers for peek. You don't crash and you work over 30 days your golden. Congrats to a long hard life as a ups slave.

scisector9

Almost through my first year driving. I will probably make around 50 my first year but at 18.75 (im at 17.25)you should be above 50k easy.

As others have stated this job is what you make it. Its hard and long but compared to other gigs I've had this job is golden. I've managed a pizza hut and drove for a laundry company prior to driving for brown and I prefer this job to those for sure. Think I would prefer this job to those even if if it paid less.

Have a good attitude, don't freak out, don't hit anything, and do your best and the rest will fall into place. Don't feel bad if this job isn't for you. Two of the past four we had try full time disqualified themselves for whatever reason. Feel free to message me if needed.
Best of luck!

Cheers

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Brother...

I have been driving for 8 months now. Went ft coverage about three months ago. I will make 60k if I am lucky. Our center is hiring drivers left and right. Never work monday's...and only 50% of fridays.
If you went full time 3 months ago then you're a seniority driver now. Why are you not working full time? You do understand you have a right to get your hours unless officially laid off right?

TheKingOfQueens

Almost through my first year driving. I will probably make around 50 my first year but at 18.75 (im at 17.25)you should be above 50k easy.

As others have stated this job is what you make it. Its hard and long but compared to other gigs I've had this job is golden. I've managed a pizza hut and drove for a laundry company prior to driving for brown and I prefer this job to those for sure. Think I would prefer this job to those even if if it paid less.

Have a good attitude, don't freak out, don't hit anything, and do your best and the rest will fall into place. Don't feel bad if this job isn't for you. Two of the past four we had try full time disqualified themselves for whatever reason. Feel free to message me if needed.
Best of luck!

Cheers

Under the new contract I'd be at $22 or 23 an hour I think ?

Just created new account . Was "theupsguy83" using TheKingOfQueens from now on.

Wizzy

Max out your 401k asap your last raise in progression should. Be hefty and a good time to max out. A nice 401k makes the decision of when to retire easier

rp3

Good luck I'm a fulltime cover, had to bump a guy inside to try and make some sort of living its tough. Im in a small center there no am sort drivers unload trailer. And I have a part time job. So just saying good luck its all rainbows and unicorns and then you never drive.

KaiserTom

Max out your 401k asap your last raise in progression should. Be hefty and a good time to max out. A nice 401k makes the decision of when to retire easier

Basic Investment advice for anyone anywhere.

1. Have a 401k
2. Contribute up to employer match for your 401k, if they match up to 6% you go up to 6%, that's free money.
3. Set up a Roth IRA and max it out ($5,500 for 2015). This is skippable if your 401k options are good and you don't need the extra tax-advantaged space.
4. Max your 401k ($18,800)
5. Blow the rest of your money at a strip club because you are now set for life (this changes if you are starting this at an older age of course, some starting at 40 or older should throw as much as reasonably possible at it).