Question about a situation ?

DoctorMario

Ok so this guy on our belt refuses to pick off because he has more seniority than everyone on the belt. Does he have a case or can the supervisor make him pick off ?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ok so this guy on our belt refuses to pick off because he has more seniority than everyone on the belt. Does he have a case or can the supervisor make him pick off ?
Pick off is a seniority position...much like high volume sorter for preload. If we don't want to do it...nope can't make me!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
There are no bid positions on the preload; that being said, he does have the most seniority and should get to choose where he works.
You haven't learned yet that the rest of the country isn't like the BOG?? Actually....depending on your local...there are not only bid jobs on preload, but you can actually bid on the routes you want to load! Guess what, Upstate? You are wrong...again!

Tell Rowdy hi for me.

DoctorMario

Well I heard people say u need to " work as directed" so I figured he had to pick off. Plus he gets a dollar raise to pick off but refuses to do it. Doesn't make sense to me.

CHALLY9TX

Well I heard people say u need to " work as directed" so I figured he had to pick off. Plus he gets a dollar raise to pick off but refuses to do it. Doesn't make sense to me.

When I was a part timer I got a pickoff position because a senior employee didn't want it. I never understood it either. Pickoff was way easier than loading trailers.

IzzyTheNose

When I'm asked for advice regarding similar problems, it's always the same: "work now, grieve later".

Your pickoff can state he doesn't want to pickoff. And his supervisor can insist he work as directed. If this co-worker doesn't want to pickoff (that's his right, as he has seniority), he should absolutely inform his supervisor that his seniority is being violated, and if the supervisor insists that he pickoff, he would like to speak to a shop steward and take the necessary steps towards filing a grievance.

But the pickoff should always work as directed (unless there's safety concern) until the shop steward arrives and deals with the problem, to protect himself from a charge of "refusing to work as directed".

It leaves the supervisor no outs for complaint, and he has to answer for the violation without defense.

It's rare for guys to decline the option of picking off even when there's an extra dollar to be had, and the work is much easier, but it does happen.

Some guys don't like the fast paced nature of the position. Others get bored because they've been doing it for so long, and some are just that lazy. I know people that complain about being in small sort <slaps forehead>.

Show me an easy job at UPS, and I'll show you someone that hates doing it.

M

Mike hunt

Tell him not to refuse. If he doesn't agree file a grievance under article 3.

Cincypackagehandler

At our building when you pass the pickoff test you get that extra dollar built into your pay so even if I'm not picking off I still get the pick pay. I let the young guys pick off all the time. It looks easy when you first get hired but then when you're up there picking through jams everyday with belt wide flow it gets old.

browntroll

only time i would refuse pick off is on a messed up belt, by that i mean its always heavy, rollers or slide must really suck and pt sup sucks.