Question about becoming a driver after reading article from Yahoo.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The more I see this and the more I hear about this the more it just pisses me off. :grrr:

Hey, UPS.................................... you have drivers that are on layoff. Let's take care of them first. :biting:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
MK-BC185_UPS1_G_20100405174254.jpg

This is a joke, right ??

that guy looks like a pupet on a string

I guess that makes him management material?

Re-Raise

When I started I think they told me once not to fall down.

Up until they told me that I was unable to walk anywhere safely because I didn't know any better.

I do wish we had one of those things in my ctr, we would have a blast. Safety harnesses are for pansies.

mpeedy

I don't know about everyone else but if i wore a harness like this my uniform would probably tear, and no doubt at least 2 buttons would fly off.

overallowed

I wonder if it's just coicendence, this news came out today, with the UPS stock review (to buy some)....
25000 more drivers retire within 5 years. means 25000 more on the payroll (pensions and medical).

Besides, don't know how the lower dollar value will effect UPS. It effected GM big time - negativly !

You have to remember, while adding all those people to the pension ranks, there are people dropping off the back side (death-it's inevitable). Also, look for not all those to be replaced with new-hires. It is just thinning the herd.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
It shows how disconnected corperate is from the day to day operations. So sad.

agreed.....what is that?????? ....back to question --------the job is a grind,,there are few easy days at ups,,,,im still amazed how stressfull this job can be,,,anyways, work hard every day,, do a honest days work,, and you will be fine ............its a good ,benefit-filled job

Kae3106

The more I see this and the more I hear about this the more it just pisses me off. :grrr:

Hey, UPS.................................... you have drivers that are on layoff. Let's take care of them first. :biting:

There was an article on upsers.com stating that the yahoo article was misleading. The article made it seem like UPS was going to be hiring 25,000 new people for driver jobs. The upsers.com article said that UPS does expect a large wave of retirees and intends to fill the vast majority of available driver spots by promoting existing part timers. I assume that would include any laid off employees as well.

whiskey

There was an article on upsers.com stating that the yahoo article was misleading. The article made it seem like UPS was going to be hiring 25,000 new people for driver jobs. The upsers.com article said that UPS does expect a large wave of retirees and intends to fill the vast majority of available driver spots by promoting existing part timers. I assume that would include any laid off employees as well.

That kind of gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

NHDRVR

I am aware of about 10 drivers in a few of our centers that can retire now. They still hang around because they want to make sure they are financially stable before they walk out the door. Now, I always believed that it was as simple as doing your 30, being of age, and then filing paperwork with the union to get your retirement started but in talking to these guys that have one foot out the door, and as I get a bit closer myself, I understand that there are too many other things involved. I remember one guy who, now retired, stayed around a few extra years to pay for his sons college education. Another guy put in a few extra to pad his 401k.
Shortly there is going to be a 5 year window when a handful of drivers from each center will, if they choose, be ready to retire but I don't think there will be a massive drop off to justify 25,000 new hires to fill the gap. Additionally, I can easily see people hanging around, taking their 6/7 weeks a year, using the cover drivers for more time off, but working just enough (on their cushy runs) to keep up their benefits and throw that little bit extra into the savings account. The current seniority leader in our state, NH, was hired in 1973. I was born in 70' and started with UPS at 20 years of age. It will not be as easy as putting in your 30 any more because of the increasing pension age to collect, the economy, and the myriad of personal reasons that many of have.
I am depressed now...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...this is why I am always urging my younger co-workers, those with less than 10 years service, to fully fund their 401k's or other retirement investments, so that when their time comes they will be free to make the decision to retire and not have that decision be dictated by their finances. I know that it is not that simple and that life does get in the way of one's dreams but it is possible to both live today and plan for tomorrow. Our pension fund (NYS Teamster) is considering raising the minimum retirement age to 57, regardless of number of years of service, which means that you (NHDRVR) would have to put in 37 years to receive what you would have received with only 30 yrs. I will be 58 when I get my 30yrs so I am OK but I do regret not paying more attention to my own 401k.

NHDRVR

...this is why I am always urging my younger co-workers, those with less than 10 years service, to fully fund their 401k's or other retirement investments, so that when their time comes they will be free to make the decision to retire and not have that decision be dictated by their finances. I know that it is not that simple and that life does get in the way of one's dreams but it is possible to both live today and plan for tomorrow. Our pension fund (NYS Teamster) is considering raising the minimum retirement age to 57, regardless of number of years of service, which means that you (NHDRVR) would have to put in 37 years to receive what you would have received with only 30 yrs. I will be 58 when I get my 30yrs so I am OK but I do regret not paying more attention to my own 401k.

I hear ya... Assuming they don't raise the minimum age to start collecting on our pension (if it's still there by that time) I have to work 17 more years. Could I do that? Sure...I have 20 in, I turn 40 this year, and I have never (knocking on my head) had a back-knee-ankle injury. I have the normal aches and pains of a driver but I wonder if the company/union would benefit from getting rid of a large core of senior drivers by implementing the "30 and done" policy. This is unrealistic with the economy and how the Teamsters run the pension ie; union dues and other non-UPS retirees drawing off UPS $ (an argument for another time folks) but I think that younger blood and fresher legs isn't a bad thing....