Question about bidding

TheBeerDriver

So I'm still working on getting my seniority in as a part time loader but as I keep my eye on the bid sheets I've noticed that every position requires 6 months company experience, even weekend air. I was under the impression that after I obtained seniority I could start bidding... Is this how it is in other centers/hubs?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I don't even work for UPS, and I would take a 50 cent cut. I would hate to be close to retirement and find out half of my pension is gone. That would be horrible.

So I'm still working on getting my seniority in as a part time loader but as I keep my eye on the bid sheets I've noticed that every position requires 6 months company experience, even weekend air. I was under the impression that after I obtained seniority I could start bidding... Is this how it is in other centers/hubs?

As of Monday you weren't hired and now you're looking at bid sheets?

PT Car Washer

I started working Monday night. Load/unload.
Once you are hired you can bid other jobs. Of course it helps if you can make seniority first. Last year my building were taking PT guys with just a couple months seniority and letting them bid FT driving jobs and qualified them. Unbelievable when it used to take years of PT before you even had a chance at a FT bid.

McGee

Once you are hired you can bid other jobs. Of course it helps if you can make seniority first. Last year my building were taking PT guys with just a couple months seniority and letting them bid FT driving jobs and qualified them. Unbelievable when it used to take years of PT before you even had a chance at a FT bid.
wow, that bad eh?

TheBeerDriver

I talked to a few guys who've been waiting 8years to go FT drivers. Haha I'm just looking to pick up some Saturday work at this point lol.

PT Car Washer

wow, that bad eh?
Biggest problem is the low wages and lack of hours. Plus the job really does suck for a new hire. You have to be a total loser to put up with PT at UPS. I being the biggest loser after 38 years. It does start getting better after a year. A lot better after 20 or 30 years but who can wait that long.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I talked to a few guys who've been waiting 8years to go FT drivers. Haha I'm just looking to pick up some Saturday work at this point lol.
You can start bidding right away.. Even before seniority.. It takes them weeks before they takes the bid sheets down.. And even many weeks after that before they start processing them.. So by the time they start rummaging thru the list, you'd of made senoity by then.. But if course there's 100 people with more seniority then you that bid too.. You just have to hope either a) they don't want the job.. B) they can't qualify for bad driving record. Or c) they can't pass the school/driving exam.. At my hub it's amazing to hear about people being called to go to school less then a year in, and they turn it down cause they can't drive stick shift.. So that's what I'm hoping for sooner then later. But yes, def pick up Saturday driving as soon as it's offered. It'll help get you familiar with routes, the trucks, and the driver managers. If you do good, them remember you when it's time.. Most will tell you stay away from Saturday driving because there's more people on the roads and more risk for accidents. Don't listen to that. Do what's best for you. Good luck brother.