Question about Calling In (yes one of those threads)

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by artvandalay23, Mar 29, 2012.

1. artvandalay23

artvandalay23 New Member

Called in today due to a group project collaboration project (only time we could all meet) for graduation in May. My hub manager was asking all kinds of questions and basically told me that I should have gotten it done sooner (tried), that I need to be at work (agreed) and I was being disrespectful (say wha?). I've read about not going into detail when you call in but I'm a straight up guy. I don't have a history of repeat absences, just three that I can think of (called in every time). I've been on the sort aisle since Sept '11.

Basically, am I good? There are guys on the aisle that miss at least one to two days a week and nothing ever happens to them. Since I consider myself a hard worker, my conscience may be getting the best of me here.

Any advice is appreciated.
  2. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Yeah, you are fine. Don't sweat it. they just want bodies in at work and those other guys are just colder about their calling off. "Hi, this is Blah Blah. I won't be in today" *CLICK* That's all you need. Your business is none of theirs.
  3. over9five

over9five Hillary for prison 2016 Staff Member

You're good. But man, stop going into details when you book off!
  4. anonymous4

anonymous4 Active Member

I read so many of these posts about people booking off and getting talked out of it. This is a tough, physically draining job. Some days you need to just stay home and rest. If it isn't a habit, booking off shouldn't be a probleml. A habit is some of these pt hub workers who book off every other week and show up 15 minutes late every day "just because" they can. Common sense prevails. If you need a day off to get things done, rest a muscle, do a school project - you call up, and say I won't be in today, this is where I work in the building - Good Day". You know the perpetually absent are screwing them over again when your center manager picks the phone up.
  5. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

No kidding.

The only details I share are, "I have diarrhea."

If they need more, I tell them, "and I can't stop sneezing."
  6. klolx

klolx New Member

What if they ask questions? What should we do? Like lets say I call in sick "Hi this is blah blah, I won't be in today" and what if they ask "Why?" Also, who do we call our supervisor? I remember they gave us a paper with numbers listed so in case you call in sick but I lost
  7. badpal.

badpal. avoiding brown kool-aid

Depends on how big your building is. I started in a hub with a "radio room" and you called there and that was that. The building I'm in now is an extended center so you generally have to talk to a FT Sup. Conversation still goes like this "This is badpal and I'm not going to be able to make it in today." I don't make it a habit and I try to schedule things or days off in advance, however, when :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: happens then :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: happens.
  8. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Hi this is so & so I'm taking myself out of service today & I'll call you when I'm putting my self back in. Bye
  9. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

This is (put name here) I'm not feeling well and won't be in today.(Them) What's wrong?(You)Are you a doctor?(Them)No.(You)I'll be there tomorrow if I'm feeling better,good bye!
  10. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Classic, absolutely classic. Can I borrow this line?:likeit:
  11. brown_trousers

brown_trousers Active Member

If your supervisor and/or center has a voicemail, you can use a service called "slydial" that connects you straight to their voicemail without dialing their phone. Its always easier leaving a message as you don't have to answer any questions.
  12. jalnar

jalnar Member

I cant come in today because I dont feel good and wont be able to do my job SAFELY.
  13. brownman15

brownman15 New Member

we have a winner
  14. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

My last answer to "Why?" was "Because UPS and Teamsters agreed to me having 5 sick days per year to use at my discretion and today is going to be one of those days." His response was, "OK, see you tomorrow."
  15. artvandalay23

artvandalay23 New Member

Y'all are awesome. Got my project done! I like the diarrhea approach, seems effective. Can't come in because I won't be able to do my job SAFELY is impenetrable haha.
  16. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Nope, bayard wins with " The only details I share are, "I have diarrhea."
  17. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

Hi, this is (name), I won't be coming in today, I am tired and fatigued. Goodbye
  18. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

You are required to give them notice one hour prior to your start time, that's it.
    Don't tell them why, they don't need to know.
    Make up a story and you're on the hook for dishonesty.
    Like 407 said, call and take yourself out of service.
    Then call again when you intend to return.
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

​Break the habit of going into details, and FAST!
  20. anonymous6

anonymous6 Guest

can't really add anything/ our BA said our responsibility is to call in at least an hour or more ahead of schedule and that's all. ( and have sick days unless you are really sick ) no details need be explained.

BTW ...I thought you were an architect?