Question about Certified Next Day Air Drivers.

Drink Craft Beer

I'm referring to the guys who signed the bid sheet (and won the position) that drive to the airport each morning and bring the NDA back to the pre-load. His job is to handle what he brought back to the hub, correct? He unloads the air-car and dumps NDA bags (which holds all the smalls) and that's it, correct?

In our small hub, if the NDA driver gets back before there is a spot open on the dock to back into, they'll have him come in and do pre-load ground work until a dock door is open. Which usually means Supervision will have him dump ground / forever bags and scan the packages like the normal PT pre load scanners do (the 2 pre-load scanners stay, they just make the NDA driver the 3rd scanner)

Is he allowed to handle or do ground work that pre-loaders are expected to do? Too me, that's taking work and time away from the pre-loaders. It's been happening for quite sometime now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are any preloaders sent home or laid off as a result of him working on the inside? Are you not getting your 3.5 hours (or more)? Would you prefer that he stand around (and get paid) until a spot on the dock opens?

If I had to guess I would say the "air driver" is actually a 22.3 employee who has every right to work on the preload.

Drink Craft Beer

Are any preloaders sent home or laid off as a result of him working on the inside?

No scanners are sent home if they don't want to go. But the unloaders are asked to go help the loaders on the belt while the NDA driver either dumps bags (which the unloaders do) or acts as a scanner.

Are you not getting your 3.5 hours (or more)?

Barely getting 19.5

Would you prefer that he stand around (and get paid) until a spot on the dock opens?

Yes, if that means I get more hours.

If I had to guess I would say the "air driver" is actually a 22.3 employee who has every right to work on the preload.

But the point is....does he have to do ground work when asked to w/o reperecussions considering he's a certified NDA driver. He shouldn't even be asked to do ground work, correct?

barnyard

KTM rider
Besides all that, air drivers can help with the preload, there is NOTHING in the contract about air drivers handling ground pieces on the building. They cannot deliver ground, but then, neither can preloaders.

Kind of sounds like you need a waaaaahmbulance.

Drink Craft Beer

there is NOTHING in the contract about air drivers handling ground pieces on the building.

OK, that's all I was asking.

Kind of sounds like you need a waaaaahmbulance

Not at all, but is it really necessary for you to be a :censored2:bag about it?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm referring to the guys who signed the bid sheet (and won the position) that drive to the airport each morning and bring the NDA back to the pre-load. His job is to handle what he brought back to the hub, correct? He unloads the air-car and dumps NDA bags (which holds all the smalls) and that's it, correct?

In our small hub, if the NDA driver gets back before there is a spot open on the dock to back into, they'll have him come in and do pre-load ground work until a dock door is open. Which usually means Supervision will have him dump ground / forever bags and scan the packages like the normal PT pre load scanners do (the 2 pre-load scanners stay, they just make the NDA driver the 3rd scanner)

Is he allowed to handle or do ground work that pre-loaders are expected to do? Too me, that's taking work and time away from the pre-loaders. It's been happening for quite sometime now.

Sure sounds better than sups working to me.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I think I get what you're saying. You're not suppose to handle ground packages if you're delivering air as an air driver. But you're just shuttling packages so the ground part doesn't apply. It's a small building so I'm sure you have standing practice at your building. And you get more than the standard 3.5 so I agree with Upstate. Good luck in the future though! See if you can get some utility work in now that you're certified!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Our air driver is a combo job. He does clerk and air. Both AM and PM drivers do this. The PM runs the shipping counter as well.