Question about changing shifts...

expanse

I've been reading a few threads using the search function but none of the answers seemed to apply to me so I'll just ask in a new thread.

I applied for UPS a few times (I think 3 times, Grand Rapids Hub) for the twilight shift for the past 2 years. They finally called me last April and hired me as an unloader. However it was for the night shift. I'm still working there right now and after my 6 months I gave a letter requesting to switch shifts to one of the supervisors. He never got back to me so I had to go to him and asked what the status was and he said that I needed a school schedule for the transfer. I currently don't go to school right now but really want to work the twilight or preload shift because quite frankly I just don't like working night. So the fact that I applied for twilight every time only to be given night can't be used as a valid reason to switch?

washington57

he is full of it. talk to your shop steward.

you have to write a letter stating that you want to be on the twilight shift. send a copy to the union, HR, and your manager. the next time there is an opening on twilight they will transfer folks in seniority order before hiring off the street.

JonFrum

The Contract does not require a school schedule.

However there probably needs to be an opening on the shift before you can transfer to it. I don't think you can bump someone.

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 4.
Part-time employees shall be given the opportunity to fill full-time jobs before hiring from the outside on a six-for-one basis (six (6) part-time to every one (1) outside hire).

The following will be incorporated into the job selection procedures in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum:

The Employer will fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months.

steward71

The letter only is given if you want to transfer to another location for educational purpose. Not to transfer to another shift, Under Master Article 22 section 6. He is full of crap. Go to HR in our building under the Atlantic Supplemental HR handles all transfers to other shifts. It has to an opening on the shift you want work.

dantheman5

Yes that guy is a maroon. I transfered from local sort to preload 3 years ago. All I did was sign the bid sheets. After that it was only about a week before I got switched because nobody else on that sort wanted to go.

DazedandConfused

A school schedule is only required on a transfer request to a different center, NOT a different shift within the same center. Where did he go to school??? maroon CENTRAL??? lol