question about d/r in apartment complex.

leastbest

LeastBest
The only packages I leave at apartments are Basic. Management can't be trusted. If it goes missing then you used bad judgment. Always safe rather than sorry.

AKCoverMan

I've always wondered about something. Why does'nt USPS pick up ALL the packages destined for them at each UPS location, then what you would have left is only the basic packages we are required to deliver to consignee.

If I'm not mistaken,FDX does not touch any USPS packges USPS bring all containers to FDX ramp and picks up all containers at destinations. They use FDX system to move packages and it ends there. Besides I could do without delivering to Post Office, those are some of the most unhappy people on earth.

I think you are talking about apples and oranges here. Basic Service packages are ones that are shipped with UPS but on some of them we basically "farm out" the last mile of delivery to the USPS.

Then there is USPS's own Parcel Post, Priority Mail, and Express Mail services, which are all shipped with the Post Office and delivered by the Post Office. Only the Post Office does not have thier own airline to move packages; they contract it all out to airlines like Delta and American and United... and UPS Airlines and FedEx. That mail we generally get from the PO already containerized and tender it back to them at the destination.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Upstate, I agree that some basic pkgs are delivered to the consignee, but they are not "Basic" pkgs or the driver is making a mistake. UPS Basic service is delivered to the PO period......

NOBBER

100% wrong

We deliver tons of Basic packages daily, and not to USPS

Read the packages once in awhile, most of the shipper release bags from high-end retail are Basic and require you to leave at their houses on first attempt

Both "BASIC"s are the same

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I've always wondered about something. Why does'nt USPS pick up ALL the packages destined for them at each UPS location, then what you would have left is only the basic packages we are required to deliver to consignee.

If I'm not mistaken,FDX does not touch any USPS packges USPS bring all containers to FDX ramp and picks up all containers at destinations. They use FDX system to move packages and it ends there. Besides I could do without delivering to Post Office, those are some of the most unhappy people on earth.

You must be joking about the USPS picking up their pkgs at our Centers. One time I had a Postmaster tell me he had a Next Day Saver that got into their system and if we wanted it we'd have to pay for them transporting it. I told him I didn't think so but later that day the consignee stopped me on the street. The customer really needed the package so I ended up calling in to the Center and paid the jerk Postmaster the $13.00 to get the package. The customer got his pkg, I did get paid for the petty cash voucher. I later talked to a couple of mailmen in that town and they told me I was being nice when I only asked if he was a jerk. Last I heard he was promoted to a postion were he didn't have to deal with customers.

Anyways, delivering Basic to most PO's is an easy stop & they keep all the ARS pkgs that people drop in their drop boxes. It saves them a phone call to our wonderful 800 #. I have found their are more happy people at the PO than you would think.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If the apartments are fancy, I DR that bitch. If they're in 'da hood, I leave a note.

Ditto.

I have been delivering to an app complex that totally sucks. It is gated and secure. The management of the complex will not allow me to leave the packages in the office with out first making an attempt at the apartment. After an attempt has been made at the apartment and an info notice has been left then and only then can we release the packages at the office. We had LP and others come to the complex and said it was safe to release the packages since it is a very secure complex. After LPs conclusion, we were then advised by the complex's management that under no circumstance are we to leave any package for any reason out side any appartment door. This is so freakin frustraing this complex has 10 different buildings spanning three different streets, each building has 4 floors and no elevators. Friday I had 55 stops for this complex and it took me 3.5 hours to get this complex done. The office closes at 5 oclock so any packages that can't be delivered after 5 has to be brought back to the building and reattempted the next day because they will not allow us to leave them at the office the next day unless we leave an info notice the same day.

Why should we have to go through all this crap when when 90% of the packages go back to the office anyways. But I work as instructed and climb the 4 flights of stairs to each building one step at a time and get some good mp3 quaility time.
I hate this complex

I have a complex similar to this, except, I leave the notice and get the pkgs signed for at the office. I usually break trace so's I get em all off before the office closes. Just remember, cobra, you get paid, no matter how you deliver them.

The management of the complex will not allow me to leave the packages in the office with out first making an attempt at the apartment. After an attempt has been made at the apartment and an info notice has been left then and only then can we release the packages at the office
This is our standard procedure on all apartment complexes. We have some that will not allow us to indirect to the next door neighbor, they have to either go to the office or are send agains if the office is closed.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This is our standard procedure on all apartment complexes. We have some that will not allow us to indirect to the next door neighbor, they have to either go to the office or are send agains if the office is closed.

Very good point, trpl. You can't very well leave pkgs at the office without leaving a notice. How will the customer know they have a pkg waiting? People, including myself, order stuff online all the time and forget it's on its way. Another point for that matter. Where are you leaving your door notices? I was taught, by another driver in my center, to put the notice right near the lock, so when they unlock the door they will see the notice.

I've seen notices placed at the upper, opposite side of the door, almost at the top of the door frame. Who's going to see the notice there? Just Saturday, here in Brooklyn, I saw a notice at the top of a door. I just think it's common sense to put the notice where someone will see it, after all, we're not all giants.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Steve, I usually leave them somewhere at eye level with the non-sticky edge stuck into the edge of the door frame. So the wind can't grab it. Unfortunately there are those doors that you just can't get the info notice to stick to. If that is the case and there is a window close to the door I stick it to the window. Most people are creatures of habit. When I am at home I am always looking out my windows, car passing by, people passing by, etc. I figure the info notice has a better chance of being seen through clear glass.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
To add to my above post, drivers are held accountable and may have to reimburse UPS for claims in which the value of the pkg exceeds $100. However, this policy is not in effect for D/R s to apartments--you may be asked to reimburse no matter the value if it is a "bad D/R."

We are required to sign a driver release certification form annually and among the items on this form are deliveries to apt complexes.

This simply is not true unless it's something in your supplemental agreement that's not in the Central Region. I don't believe the Nat Master allows for this. You may be subject to progressive discipline but the company cannot seek reimbursement for pkgs insured for less than $100. They can ask I guess, but I say no.

Secondly I wouldn't sign that annual driver release certification. I don't sign anything but my hazmat certification and the annual DOT certification, the one were they ask about any moving violations. We don't have to sign everything they put in front of us. I'm not going to provide exibits for the company to use against me.

Also I would like to add in regards to the "Basic" debate, the ones we deliver say "shipper release" at the bottom and are DRable at any address including apartments, commercial stops, etc. The DIAD prompts us to this affect.

We did have one apt complex here that wanted all packages left at the office and they would take them to the apt and leave them inside for the resident. As soon as the sup found this out they eliminated the multiple stops for that one. LOL

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve, I usually leave them somewhere at eye level with the non-sticky edge stuck into the edge of the door frame. So the wind can't grab it. Unfortunately there are those doors that you just can't get the info notice to stick to. If that is the case and there is a window close to the door I stick it to the window. Most people are creatures of habit. When I am at home I am always looking out my windows, car passing by, people passing by, etc. I figure the info notice has a better chance of being seen through clear glass.

For the info notices that don't stick I usually slide them in the crack of the door, making sure to leave some sticking out for the cust. to see. I alos try to stick it to the door frame instead. One of these usually works, but whatever the case, I always leave it where they will see it as they open the door.

For the info notices that don't stick I usually slide them in the crack of the door, making sure to leave some sticking out for the cust. to see. I alos try to stick it to the door frame instead. One of these usually works, but whatever the case, I always leave it where they will see it as they open the door.
me too, IF I leave one.

rod

Retired 22 years
If I couldn't get a del. notice to stick sometimes I would take about 3 feet of 2 inch tape and stick the notice to it then wrap it around the door knob or mailbox. Depending on how bad I really wanted to get rid of the package and if I had the extra time:happy2: Home owners really notice a big ball of tape stuck to their door:peaceful:

S

splozi

clNFl.jpg
clNFl.jpg