Question about driver helper job that I couldn't find searching

Thisguy

Hey everybody I had a question about driver helper. What happens if I can't go for one day? I have family being pulled off life support tomorrow and may need to miss the day. Will I be able to work the next day? I asked my driver this in case it would happen and he had no idea. He's only been driving for 2 months.

Thanks in advanced to everyone that replies

GeaugaDog

Best thing that I would do is explain the situation to the driver you've been working with along with the coordinator. Usually if your driver likes you they will want to keep having you as their helper so I'm sure they would be fine for you to take a day off for something like that.

Thisguy

Best thing that I would do is explain the situation to the driver you've been working with along with the coordinator. Usually if your driver likes you they will want to keep having you as their helper so I'm sure they would be fine for you to take a day off for something like that.

Well the thing is the driver helper coordinator has been the one calling me. I have only done this for 2 days but I have been lucky to be with the same driver. I have no garuntee to be with the same driver from my knowledge. I'm just worried if the coordinator calls and I tell them I have to miss the day I may not be called again. I am at the hospital now Incase I have to go out for work but I'd like to be with all the family

GeaugaDog

Your best plan would be to explain the situation when it comes up to the helper coordinator. They should understand it and you should be fine especially if the drivers that you have worked with already have liked working with you.

GeaugaDog

From what my driver has told me, they like to keep you with the same driver if you guys are a good match. They will probably try and find a fill-in for you in case you can't make it that day or the driver might be stuck without a helper.

As long as your first two days went well I wouldn't worry too much about it. The most important thing in the end is being there for your family.

jaker

trolling
Your situation is a little different so let the driver know , if he cares about family and likes you then you will be fine

The helper I had last week i work with for one day and bug the heck out of me and at the end of the day told me he had another side job to finish and wouldn't be able to make it the next day . He's not my helper anymore

J

jibbs

Hey everybody I had a question about driver helper. What happens if I can't go for one day? I have family being pulled off life support tomorrow and may need to miss the day. Will I be able to work the next day? I asked my driver this in case it would happen and he had no idea. He's only been driving for 2 months.

Thanks in advanced to everyone that replies

Get in touch with the coordinator as soon as possible (since your driver doesn't seem to be much help.) Try to let them know, before tomorrow, that they won't be able to rely on you tomorrow because of your circumstances.

I see them being more able to work with you if you get a jump on letting them know instead of waiting until tomorrow morning and informing them as they're telling you to report to work.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
First of all sorry you have to deal with this. Second of all who cares, what they think or do. Family first, and if UPS doesnt believe you screw the job. If you are not there, you will never forgive yourself, for the rest of your life. Its a one month job. Your family is more important.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You are literally hired for 12 more days. The only thing you can do is tell them you can't come in and give them the reason.
If you are valuable enough or they are light on helpers, they will work you the next day.
If they don't, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You were a seasonal hire.
Hope it works out for you and the family.