Question about getting paid off for unused sick days...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have hundreds of extra sick hours and am thinking about getting paid out for a few hours does anyone know if I can get that in the form of an extra check or will they just add it to my regular weeks check. Just want to make sure it's not overtaxed and don't feel like changing my tax settings for a one time thing.

By The Book

I have hundreds of extra sick hours and am thinking about getting paid out for a few hours does anyone know if I can get that in the form of an extra check or will they just add it to my regular weeks check. Just want to make sure it's not overtaxed and don't feel like changing my tax settings for a one time thing.
Ours come on a separate check. Ask your full time supervisor when they cash out in your center. They should have been coming around asking you in previous years if you wanted to cash out days.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ours come on a separate check. Ask your full time supervisor when they cash out in your center. They should have been coming around asking you in previous years if you wanted to cash out days.
In the west they pay you out automatically over a certain amount of hours and I'm pretty sure I have reached that number...I was also looking in the contract while inquiring about all of this and read that if you quit or get let go they only give you half of your sick hours...that seems bogus since this is time we all have earned and having a good amount of hours in your bank would mean you don't take much time off for illness. ..sounds like something that needs to be changed in the next contract.

By The Book

In the west they pay you out automatically over a certain amount of hours and I'm pretty sure I have reached that number...I was also looking in the contract while inquiring about all of this and read that if you quit or get let go they only give you half of your sick hours...that seems bogus since this is time we all have earned and having a good amount of hours in your bank would mean you don't take much time off for illness. ..sounds like something that needs to be changed in the next contract.
I think it's around 45 days that you can keep on the books, not sure though. That's 405 hours. I think the language you found about losing sick days is different than my language. If you somehow were close to your limit to keep on the books, you would need to cash out to stay under that amount so you get credit for your current sick days. This is in the supplement for you as well, right?

9.5er

We can't bank days like that here. IF we don't use them they pay us for them after Thanksgiving. In a separate check.

By The Book

We can't bank days like that here. IF we don't use them they pay us for them after Thanksgiving. In a separate check.
Do they pay you for all of them and leave zero to your credit? If they did that how would you get paid for your next sick day?

Rain Shield

In the end you pay no more tax. Sure, you may have more taken out in the current pay period, but when you file you pay the tax required for yearly income. It is a wash.

JL 0513

Clearly this is different in every local. We get paid out each April for all unused time. Can't bank them beyond one year. Our calendar year runs April to March in regards to vacation/sick/personal days. For us, it's 8 personal/option days a year and 5 sicks days. We have the option, which a majority of guys use, to take 5 of those personal days and turn them into an extra week vacation.

UPS4Life

Wow interesting topic.

In my local we can roll out sick days over until the next contract but our personal days we use or get paid for at the end of April.

browntroll

talk to your full time sup, my hub they just add up until a certain limit. i know of one guy that gets them cashed out
every few years since he rarely calls in. our vacation gets cashed out automatically on anniversary date and our option days
are cashed out automatically in december/new years.

feeder05

In the West we used to get paid for any hours over 420.. Since the last contract that number is now 480. I would like to know what we received in return for the bump in sick leave hours pay out. That was a nice Christmas bonus each year.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In the West we used to get paid for any hours over 420.. Since the last contract that number is now 480. I would like to know what we received in return for the bump in sick leave hours pay out. That was a nice Christmas bonus each year.
You should still be able to cash out some of that...