Question about lunches

JonFrum

This is where I disagree. NE supplement says "we shall be allowed up to one hour for meal time"

That does not say we MUST or are required to take one hour, it says we are ALLOWED UP TO one hour.
The New England Supplement, Article 66, says:
". . . Employees shall be allowed time out for meals which shall be one (1) hour . . ."

Theichii

Our supplement says we have to take 1 unpaid meal period before our 8 hours. Normally i do take a lunch when there is an actual place to sit down and take a lunch but in the middle of the woods there is none. I normally consider 8 hours to be 1800 because that's what it would be if i took a lunch but in all actuality it is 1700 for working 8 hours with a code 5. Sometimes i'll put my lunch in and after that route like if i got off at 1630 i'll put 1630 till 1730 to show that my lunch hour was there, i just wasn't. My center manager is generally okay with drivers doing this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sometimes i'll put my lunch in and after that route like if i got off at 1630 i'll put 1630 till 1730 to show that my lunch hour was there, i just wasn't. My center manager is generally okay with drivers doing this.

I am confused. Are you saying that you punch out at 1630 but show your lunch as 1630-1730? And your center manager is OK with this?

UPSGUY72

Really?
I was not aware of a law that requires one to take a lunch.
Is that a state law? or local law?

MGL c. 149 s.100 requires a 30 minute lunch period, but does not require breaks. The Boston Globe on 12/7/03 explained: "Although many employers do provide time for one or two breaks during the work day in addition to time for lunch, they are not required to do so. The law in Massachusetts states that an employer must provide a thirty-minute meal break during each work shift that lasts more than six hours. This one half-hour meal break is unpaid. In addition, Massachusetts' law does not require employers to provide any rest breaks."

Most states have rules like this

Here is a link to Cal lunch rules http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_MealPeriods.htm

The law vary by state but most states have lunch and break laws. Do a search on your state ?

Billy

In VA the only people protected by law are minors. ( according to the VA Dept of Labor ) I called them and asked once if we could be forced to take a lunch and was told yes. They told me of a employee that was fired during his lunch break for eating with an ex-employee. Apparently the boss fired this guy but his friend still went to lunch with him. They had done that their entire career together. The boss said he was not to spend lunch with his friend. The employee thought he could do what he chose during his non paid break. He went to lunch with his friend and was fired. The employee tried to sue, and file for unemployment but lost. Read the laws closely if you chose to argue it in your state. I thought we were protected here, but it turned out that only was those under 18.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The New England Supplement, Article 66, says:
". . . Employees shall be allowed time out for meals which shall be one (1) hour . . ."

I stand corrected, thank you.

Unfortunately that is not how the company sees it. The company sees that whoever they want to take an hour takes it. The union sees it the same way. That is how things operate in this neck of the woods. Good 'ol Local 25.

There are several people in our building who do not take a whole hour. I have talked with stewards about this but nothing gets done. Personally, what is good for them (those taking 30 or 45 min) should be good for everyone including myself.

One person who does not take an hour lunch is a company favorite who has never filed a grievance in 20 years. Hardly a coincidence :p