Question about Military Leave ?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Either way, you just need to show them a copy of your orders. Talk to someone in admin at your unit, they should be able to walk you right through it.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am pretty sure that job protection laws only cover Reservists. The job protection rules are pretty liberal for that. You get time off for drill and if deployed, the company has to guarantee your job until 1 year after the deployment ends (pretty sure it is a year, it may even be longer.)

Your best bet would be to talk to HR or your shop steward or your CO (your CO more than likely knows which laws cover your particular situation.)

Thank you for your service.

MFR2010

You can leave for up to five years, unless your mos requires a longer enlistment. I don't get why people answer if they don't know the correct one.

brown_trousers

No, not at all. You would have to resign in order to do that. They will not hold your job for 5 years for voluntarily joining the military. They will hold it if you are already enlisted and your unit deploys.

wow... I am really hearing this? USERRA protects your job for reserve and "volunteer" active duty enlistments. There are some technicalities about a 4 year vs 5 year enlistment, but it sounds like you are in the clear on this one. From my experience UPS goes above and beyond what USERRA requires. I worked briefly with a part-timer who had just got reinstated at UPS from a 4 year enistment, he worked with us for about 6 months and decided to do another 4 years in the army. UPS granted him another military leave. They were only required by law to give him the first leave, but surprisingly approved him for an additional 4 year term.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yes, you can join the military and no, you don't have to resign to so. In addition there are exceptions to the cumulative "5 years away" rule that will cover you for a lot of situations.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, you can join the military and no, you don't have to resign to so. In addition there are exceptions to the cumulative "5 years away" rule that will cover you for a lot of situations.

So you can enlist in the military, go active and they will hold your job for you? I didn't realize that and apologize for my incorrect posts on this subject.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So you can enlist in the military, go active and they will hold your job for you? I didn't realize that and apologize for my incorrect posts on this subject.
Unless I'm completely misreading USERRA (always a possibility, but I don't think I am). Even so, I would always advise someone to confirm it with a military lawyer, don't just take the word of some guy on the internet.