Question about Pay

ups_wife

Hi all:

My husband is a driver in WI. He received his full time seniority February 2012 and just received his 2nd year progression this year.

We have been following the contract issues and the negotiated wage increases. We looked at his pay stub this morning and noticed no $.70/hr. in his pay. It was the same as it has been since February.

When he asked the sup. they said that his pay rate was correct (20.75) but that he would get a retro check? It doesn't make sense to me that he would be owed $.70/hr retroactively but not entitled to a raise as the new contract has come into effect.

I have watched the company do just incredibly confusing and asinine things before and I'm terrified that I don't understand what's going on.

He was supposed to get a $.70/hr raise last August yes? And he is entitled to retroactive pay yes? And, he should have gotten that $.70/hr raise starting last Monday right??

I am scared that because he is in progression that he somehow not going to get a raise and we had sort of been planning on that happening (not to mention making plans for the retroactive pay).

Thanks for the help!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not to be rude but you'll never know what's going on at this place. Be happy your husband is in 3 year progression and a year from now will be making $33-34 an hour.

ncupser82

He's in progression, he'll get his raise at the end of the progression. I had to wait until I got my raises to make top pay...we all do! He's probably entitled to a retro check because he's still entitled to this raise and the company's not going to want to pay out retro checks when all these drivers finally make top pay...just a guess!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Hi all:

My husband is a driver in WI. He received his full time seniority February 2012 and just received his 2nd year progression this year.

We have been following the contract issues and the negotiated wage increases. We looked at his pay stub this morning and noticed no $.70/hr. in his pay. It was the same as it has been since February.

When he asked the sup. they said that his pay rate was correct (20.75) but that he would get a retro check? It doesn't make sense to me that he would be owed $.70/hr retroactively but not entitled to a raise as the new contract has come into effect.

I have watched the company do just incredibly confusing and asinine things before and I'm terrified that I don't understand what's going on.

He was supposed to get a $.70/hr raise last August yes? And he is entitled to retroactive pay yes? And, he should have gotten that $.70/hr raise starting last Monday right??

I am scared that because he is in progression that he somehow not going to get a raise and we had sort of been planning on that happening (not to mention making plans for the retroactive pay).

Thanks for the help!
Welcome to UPS, the home of confusion!...He Is making $40 bucks an hour, he just isnt telling you!...lol

ups_wife

He's in progression, he'll get his raise at the end of the progression. I had to wait until I got my raises to make top pay...we all do! He's probably entitled to a retro check because he's still entitled to this raise and the company's not going to want to pay out retro checks when all these drivers finally make top pay...just a guess!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Are you saying that he isn't entitled to the $.70 until he reaches top rate? Our regional union guy told him that he will get a retro check but that the company isn't going to give him the raise (??) and that he has to join this national grievance. ??

So confuse.

cmoll

Don't ever count on what the union or UPS says. Just cross your fingers and hope you get a retro check. My wife hates UPS almost as much as I do

teamster 804

Have to agree with cmoll.Working for this miserable thankless company will definitely make you hate working here.Paying dues to a Union that seems to be in your employers pocket.Will also create hate toward our union.The question is asked so why do you stay.Maybe most employees stay because they have a lot of years invested in this miserable place and it is not easy to walk away from the money.But I for one would not wish this job or this union on anyone.Way too much B/S from both sides.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Quigley

Here we go again. Folks do a search before you post. This subject has been beat to death. Read the contract and if you dont think you are getting what you deserve call your BA. Asking here will get you five different answers.

saintrick

Hi all:

Thanks for the help!

He should get the .70 retro pay from Aug 1 till his 2 year progression rate kicked in.

bumped

Are you saying that he isn't entitled to the $.70 until he reaches top rate? Our regional union guy told him that he will get a retro check but that the company isn't going to give him the raise (??) and that he has to join this national grievance. ??

So confuse.
I'm pretty sure whatever was top rate when he was hired on is locked in through his progression. When his 3rd year is up he makes current top rate at that time. He then receives raises at the scheduled times August 1st and February 1st(if applicable). He would not receive a raise check. Its hard to ask a supervisor because every contract has different rules for new hires such as after 1997 contract personal days are used from seniority date to seniority date. Before 1997 is May to May for personal days.

ncupser82

So confuse.
While in progression you don't get raises because you're progressing in pay! Once he gets top pay next year he will be up to whatever the top pay rate will be...for me it would be 33.69...also I was saying that they may be saying that he will be getting the retro check, because he will, technically, get that raise when he gets top pay...so in a round about way he's entitled to the retro check, but not the immediat raise...but to be clear they will not add .70 to what he's making right now, because that's not what his pay progression is!

upschuck

Art 41 Section 1 says
Section 1. Full-timeWage Increases

All full-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1,
2013 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year. In the first three years of the contract, the increase will be effective on August 1. In 2016 and 2017
, the increase shall be paid in two (2) equal installments. The first half of the increase shall become effective on August 1 of the specified year. The second half of the increase shall become effective on February 1 of the following calendar year. The total wage increase for the year will be as follows:

2013 seventy cents ($0.70)

2014 seventy cents ($0.70)

2015 seventy cents ($0.70)

2016 eighty cents ($0.80)

2017 one dollar ($1.00)

Full-time employees still in progression on the effective date of this Master Agreement shall receive the above contractual increases. They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with Article 41, Section 2 below.
The second to last sentence says they get the 70¢. If you do not get it, grieve, and get penalty pay too. How can anyone say anything to the contrary?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
According to my information here is the way it will work for him:

Feb. 2012 start:$16.10
seniority:$18.75
Feb. 2013 (12 Months):$18.45
Aug 2013 +$.70= $19.15
Feb 2014 (24 months):$20.75
Aug 2104 +$.70= $21.45
Feb 2015 (36 months) Top Rate
Aug 2015 +$.70

He will get the retro check for the time of August 1 2013 to his seniority raise in February to $20.75. So he should get 7 months.

Quigley

Had another meeting this morning with the Center Manager and Business Agent. This is what was decided.
If you were in progression prior to Aug 1 2013, you get the .70 raise. If after getting the .70 you stll make less then the new rate, then you go to the new rate.
Example: Driver started June 2013 $16.10, after seniority $17.25, Aug 1 .70=$17.95, new rate is $18.75 so driver goes to $18.75.

Now I know there will people here say thats all wrong. Thats fine if you want to get payed less then this, then do nothing. Me on the other hand will be happy to see my fellow drivers get the bigger checks.

ncupser82

Had another meeting this morning with the Center Manager and Business Agent. This is what was decided.
If you were in progression prior to Aug 1 2013, you get the .70 raise. If after getting the .70 you stll make less then the new rate, then you go to the new rate.
Example: Driver started June 2013 $16.10, after seniority $17.25, Aug 1 .70=$17.95, new rate is $18.75 so driver goes to $18.75.

Now I know there will people here say thats all wrong. Thats fine if you want to get payed less then this, then do nothing. Me on the other hand will be happy to see my fellow drivers get the bigger checks.
Sounds fair to me! I was in progression 8 years ago so the language probably changed since then! I'm glad too because having to wait until the end of your progression to get your raise is bulldookie!

Sent using BrownCafe App

ups_wife

According to my information here is the way it will work for him:

Feb. 2012 start:$16.10
seniority:$18.75
Feb. 2013 (12 Months):$18.45
Aug 2013 +$.70= $19.15
Feb 2014 (24 months):$20.75
Aug 2104 +$.70= $21.45
Feb 2015 (36 months) Top Rate
Aug 2015 +$.70

He will get the retro check for the time of August 1 2013 to his seniority raise in February to $20.75. So he should get 7 months.

This is what we're expecting them to say today - that he will get the $70/hr until his progression raise in February. It seems stupid to me that a driver who got his 24 month progression bump before august of 2013 makes more than my husband just because of timing. My understanding was that general pay rates would incrementally increase by the $.70/hr. no matter where in progression you were. It says that every seniority employee is entitled to those wage increase - it doesn't say "entitled to those increases unless their progression raise exceeds the $.70/hr of their previous pay rate". It says every employee is entitled to those increases. He is likely going to grieve it.