Question about paying drivers: Fedex vs. UPS

DontThrowPackages

Can you explain why a job that requires no schooling and no particular skill set should pay more?
For one, its a very taxing way to make a living.Two, we see the business model Brown has set forth and they're not crying poverty for paying every driver enough to by a home, and living the way Americans were meant to live.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Can you explain why a job that requires no schooling and no particular skill set should pay more?

You just answered your own question. Whatever schooling and/or skill you feel you have ... doesn't mean "jack" when you have no "common sense".

hypo hanna

Because 30 years ago it was a livable wage for the Middle class. The cost of living has gone up but FedEx and many other US corporations have kept wages artificially low to increase their own profits. UPS doesn't because the union members will strike.

STFXG

Everyone gripes about a livable wage. Well what's the hourly wage classified as a livable wage in your areas? Post some numbers.

MAKAVELI

Everyone gripes about a livable wage. Well what's the hourly wage classified as a livable wage in your areas? Post some numbers.
For someone who is young , living with their parents, and no kids , they could scrape by on $15 an hour in my hood.

STFXG

For someone who is young , living with their parents, and no kids , they could scrape by on $15 an hour in my hood.

Thats not the question. What's the living wage for your city? It's online. Look it up. In my city for a single person it's $8.75. For two adults it's $13.75. 2 adults 1 child $16.50. 2 adults 2 children $18.00. (All within $0.10 of actual numbers)

MAKAVELI

Thats not the question. What's the living wage for your city? It's online. Look it up. In my city for a single person it's $8.75. For two adults it's $13.75. 2 adults 1 child $16.50. 2 adults 2 children $18.00. (All within $0.10 of actual numbers)
And I'm answering your question. Your numbers are probably for the poorest of areas in the country.

STFXG

My city is decent sized and not the cheapest city in my state.

Example: Houston, Tx. Single adult $9.24. 2 adults $14.54. 2 adults 1 child $18.06. 2 adults 2 children $19.42

Example: New York, Ny. 1 adult $12.75. 2 adults $17.75. 2 adults 1 child $20.93. 2 adults 2 children $22.32.

CJinx

I suggest you get out from behind your desk and into a fully loaded truck to find out. Btw your position doesn't require any special skills other than to chug the kool-aid.
I get paid more to sit behind my desk and drink koolaid. Besides; we're not talking about my job, we're talking about your job.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Those figures are absolutely ludicrous...so much so that I'm almost tempted to suspect that Fred S probably came up with them himself.

hypo hanna

IMO a livable wage is one that keeps up with the cost of living index as calculated by the United States dept of Labor.

As an example.
A full time driver in 1986 made 27,000, which was good money for the times. That 27K in today's dollars in the same market would be worth 57,523. Working the same job with the same amount of OT, I don't know of a single driver making that much. Usually its in the 48 to 52 range. That may seem like a lot to someone in a third world country or someone just starting out, but this is after 25+ years.

MAKAVELI

I suggest you get out from behind your desk and into a fully loaded truck to find out. Btw your position doesn't require any special skills other than to chug the kool-aid.
I get paid more to sit behind my desk and drink koolaid. Besides; we're not talking about my job, we're talking about your job.
Just what does a lackey get paid these days? Since you're offering your opinion about my job and the pay we deserve, I'm going to offer my opinion about yours. You're probably worth about minimum wage.

MAKAVELI

Example: Houston, Tx. Single adult $9.24. 2 adults $14.54. 2 adults 1 child $18.06. 2 adults 2 children $19.42

Example: New York, Ny. 1 adult $12.75. 2 adults $17.75. 2 adults 1 child $20.93. 2 adults 2 children $22.32.
I don't know where you are getting your numbers but there is no way they are even close. Try doubling those numbers especially NY.

Nolimitz

there is no freaking way a person can have a "decent" life in NYC on $12.75 Those number are full-O-crap