Question about the identification criteria HALP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barack Odrama

ok i went to the ups in NYC on 43rd st. the HR spoke to us. he seemed straight forward. i had no problems until he said to bring a social security card and a photo id..the thing is..he said bring a drivers license, state id or passport..and i have neither of those. all i have right now is a school id from high school that i just graduated from. i just turned 18 on the 18th of september...he seems like a strict dude.. he also mentioned for everyone to wear a shirt and tie with slacks (he pointed to me as an example becuase i had on a shirt and tie thinking i was going to get interviewed today). my question is..is it normal to bring a school id from high school?..i can apply for a state id but it qould take weeks to come in the mail..and i really want to work for UPS :( HELP!

Barack Odrama

You can go to the post office and get a Passport. I could be wrong, but I don't see anything wrong with a school I.D. Seems to me that is a form of a picture I.D too.

This may get you started http://studenttravel.about.com/od/planyourtrip/ht/applypassport.htm

i donty even have enough documentation to even get a passport and getting a passport mailed to you will take months..i cant believe school id isnt considered good enough..i have an interview on the 30th..and all i would have is a temp state id paper my social security card and my school id..time isnt on my side

upsgrunt

How are you going to get to work if you don't have a drivers license? You have to be 21 to get a driver position, so if that's what you were after you will have to wait. I'm not seeing the need for a tie at an interview for UPS, but that is not a bad thing; better that than the saggy pants that you have to hold up while you walk.:happy2:

Barack Odrama

How are you going to get to work if you don't have a drivers license? You have to be 21 to get a driver position, so if that's what you were after you will have to wait. I'm not seeing the need for a tie at an interview for UPS, but that is not a bad thing; better that than the saggy pants that you have to hold up while you walk.:happy2:
what?..im not applying for the driver position. im going for the package handler sir...and i live in NYC..so having a car isnt a must...i just want to know now if my student id card isnt sufficient identification so i can cancel my appointment on the 30th.

i guess all HR's are different.this guy was very strict with his rules..because i went to a diff ups location and the lady told me they dont ask for id and social security until they hire you..so idk..i tried to call the specific hub and ask but it keeps ringing..do they expect for ppl who just turn 18 to already have a drivers lisence in NYC?..cmon!

upsgrunt

Sorry, I forget not everyone's hub or center is located in the bowels of a donkey. Mine is in the middle of nowhere and you have to have transportation to get there.
Again, sorry- and don't call me sir----that is my dad!:happy2:

browniehound

i donty even have enough documentation to even get a passport and getting a passport mailed to you will take months..i cant believe school id isnt considered good enough..i have an interview on the 30th..and all i would have is a temp state id paper my social security card and my school id..time isnt on my side

Mr. Barack,
I wouldn't hire you for the simple fact that you can't prove your identity. For all I know you could be a terrorist trying to use the UPS system to carry out your attacks.

A school ID? I can make one of those on my home PC.

If it was my company there is no way I would accept that.

helenofcalifornia

EVERYONE has to have a social security card now. They sent back my tax forms, way back when, when my 2 year old boy did not have an SS number. And I think that your student ID would be adequate until you get a better one that you could show them later. They want warm bodies now, they can't afford to be so picky.

Last edited:

atatbl

yea im going to go on monday..to receive one. but i heard it takes weeks to actually get the card in the mail..i was hoping i would get the state id card that same day

If you do go get a state ID they will give you temporary papers that will do the job. Also, you could talker to a customer rep (whoever fills out your paperwork when you get the ID) and tell them your situation and see if they will call UPS and confirm your situation. If so, I do not see UPS saying no. If they do......... well what is your race and/or sex? Maybe we can make a plan from there..... TOTALLY kidding....... maybe.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Helen is right, UPS needs anybody that is able bodied right now. A Passport takes too long and I think I paid $75 for mine last Spring. In our state, you can get a State Photo ID at the DMV and they make it on the spot and hand it to you. I would think that the UPS HR people there are familiar with the local issues about IDs in their area. Working in NYC or any other large urban area doesn't require having a Driver's License to get to work for an inside job.

Mike Hawk

When I got my drivers license they gave me a temporary paper ID while the plastic card one is in the mail. And SS number, you will need that if you want to work anywhere, memorize it now.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
EVERYONE has to have a social security card now. They sent back my tax forms, way back when, when my 2 year old boy did not have an SS number. And I think that your student ID would be adequate until you get a better one that you could show them later. They want warm bodies now, they can't afford to be so picky.

They can in NYC. More people in NYC than in my entire state of Washington.

drewed

Shankman
It needs to be a goverment issued ID and you need to get a ss card....they need these to fill out your W-2s, backgroud checks.....If youre going to be working at an airport, you need them to get badged so you can work....so the school ID just isnt adequate for this

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The following information is from the NYS DMV website:

If you do not drive, you may choose a short-term non-driver ID card valid for 4 to 5 years, or a long-term ID card valid for 8 to 9 years. The exact period of your ID card and your fee depend on whether you select a short-term or long-term ID and the relationship between the date you apply and the expiration date (your month and day of birth). A short-term ID card will cost between $9.00 and $10.00. A long-term ID will cost between $13.00 and $14.00. These fees include a $5.00 photo document fee.

You will receive a temporary non-photo driver license, learner permit, or ID card when you apply. You should receive your photo license, permit, or ID card through the mail within five weeks. When you receive your photo license, permit, or ID card, examine it to make sure the information and photo are correct. If correction is needed, or if you have not received your photo license or ID card within three weeks, or if it has been lost or stolen, contact a DMV Call Center. Your photo license or ID card is durable, but not indestructible. Keep it from getting wet. Protect it with a plastic sleeve in your purse or wallet, but do not laminate it. Laminating could destroy special built-in security safeguards and make it invalid. The replacement fee is $15 for a "duplicate" photo license. The photo-ID replacement fee is $8.00 for cards valid up to 8 years, and $6.50 for 10-year discounted cards.

DMV assigns point values to acceptable documents that prove name and identity. To qualify for a license or ID card, your documents of proof must total at least 6 points. These documents must be original or copies certified by the issuing agency. At least one must include your signature. Photocopies and documents with erasures or changes will not be accepted. NOTE: To see the current acceptable proofs of identity and proof of date of birth, please refer to the ID page of the website.

I hope this helps you.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Helen is your s.s number in the single digits? j/k

Barack Odrama

It needs to be a goverment issued ID and you need to get a ss card....they need these to fill out your W-2s, backgroud checks.....If youre going to be working at an airport, you need them to get badged so you can work....so the school ID just isnt adequate for this

if thats the case..why on the ups career application theres an option to bring in your school id?..i have a social security and a school id..why isnt that enough?..but yes..i guess ill have to cancel the appointment..OR beg the HR to accept my school id as proof then let them know i will be recieveing my state id in about 2 weeks..hopefully he/she will understand my dilemma.

any HR's in here?..would you guys accept a school id and a social security card?

by the time i get my state id mailed to me..it would porbably be mid october already..which would be obviously too late..and im too slow for the driver helper position:sad-little:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Drama Queen, read my post. It tells you all you need to know about the NYS Photo ID card which you could have in your hands Monday, not in 2 weeks.

Barack Odrama

Drama Queen, read my post. It tells you all you need to know about the NYS Photo ID card which you could have in your hands Monday, not in 2 weeks.

you tell me where it says i can acquire my actual state id card the same day and not in 2-5 weeks..i read what you posted already a awile ago..it clearly says you have to wait up to 5 weeks...tuesday (the interview) is in 3 days

Status
Not open for further replies.