Question about the union....

Rusty

Feeder Driver
The reason feeder drivers shouldn't help with over weight packages is because if the driver is injuried someone else would have to run hi load back. That is what my sup said

30andout

The reason feeder drivers shouldn't help with over weight packages is because if the driver is
injuried
someone else would have to run hi load back. That is what my sup said
Ya right, does that mean that pkg. drivers
shouldn't
lift either, someone else may have to run their route.

satellitedriver

And why didn't the P/T management person order the Feeder Driver to pick up the packages? I thought we as "bargaining units" were supposed to work as directed. If you are making 100K a year, getting your hands dirty every once in a while doesn't seem to be too much to ask. And I have gotten into arguements with P/T Supes that I don't work for telling me to do something. I have to admit that I don't know the fine line about if I have to obey a P/T Supe that I don't normally work with. The bottom line is that everyone's job in this company is to move a parcel from point A to point B. If a Teamster is available, they should help another "brother".:confused:1
You said it in a nutshell. I agree.

Keepingthemhonest

Bring'n sexy back
I am sorry 'big arrow up' but I disagree with you. We have a problem whenever a management personal advances a package...helping with an overweight is a very grey area, but anything that involves production should be done by a teamster. Lets say a part-time sup was helping unload...the sort gets shut down earlier, their numbers look good, uppermanagement gets their bonus, and the teamsters working the sort are told to punch out earlier, cutting their time...that's it in a nutshell and it's wrong...don't ever falter when it comes to your job security or the only numbers that matter...the ones on your paycheck!

Slowestdriver in America

Drive to stay Alive
I have been a loader for about 4 months now in Fort Wayne, IN. Today, I saw something that bugged me. We were just about done filling a trailer except for a cart full of bulk packages. My supervisor (non-union) told me to stay in the trailer while he threw the bulk up to me to load. One of the semi drivers saw him lifting the boxes up to me and was completely angered by this and made him stop since my supervisor was non-union. At the time, all of the loaders in the area were busy from the amount of flow we were getting so I couldn't get help from them and since my all my supes are non-union, I had no help lifting large, 120+ pound boxes up to the trailor. Not only did that driver slow down the process he wouldn't even help me after causing this unnecessary conflict. I just don't understand why there is a rule for non-union workers and touching packages. Can anyone explain how this works and why?? And, why would it anger a driver that bad?? I have heard that I could get paid by documenting the times that supervisors load (filing a grievance i guess), but I wouldn't do that anyways because it keeps the belts running and everything running smoothly. Everyone I have asked this to says that "they are taking away our union work". I just dont get the legalities of this. If anyone is bored, shoot me a response that more clearly explains that. Thanks!

Scott
the truth is that they should have had another Union worker available to help. That is part of the problem. They do not schedule enough people to handle the workflow and then they wonder why so many people hurt their backs.

cpio

I see supes working every night in the hub. They are either clearing jams, loading trailers, moving missorts or the usual other activities.
The excuse is always like, "we are short handed", or "I'm training" or "to prevent a delay" or anything else they can pull out of their lower extremities.

The company does this for a number of reasons:
1) it's a jab at the union, the contract and organized labor;
2) it indoctrinates and brain washes the poor PT supes that are working harder now than when they were hourly;
3) it helps make the PT supes numbers look good (see #2);
4) it keeps the environment in a constant state of upheaval;
5) it perpetuates the "us versus them" mentality (see #4)
6) it reinforces the PT supes self esteem.

The company knows it's cheaper to pay a grievance than to hire another PT'er or two so.......keep filing.

I don't think the agreed upon contract says "supes can work every once in a while" I think it says, to the effect, that supes will not work.......that's why they are called "supes".

It's good to hear one of my fellow union members say that. What goes on at my place in regards to abuse of that section of the contract is just insane. And yes, when you casually ask a part-time supervisor the answer is always
1. "So-and-so called out,"
2. "So-and-so no-call/no-showed,"
3. "It's ok, I do this all the time in front of the shop stewards and they don't say anything about it."
4. "I do this when the union reps are here and they don't say anything about it."
5. "So-and-so manager guy told me I have to."

If your part-time supe says any of the above he is lying. His Quality Performance Review weighs things like how well his department has performed as of late. Having an extra person working speeds things up and gets union members off the clock faster, so these part-time supes aren't "helping" or "filling in," they're trying to increase their bonuses. A supervisor is only supposed to work when any available people have been called in earlier or called in for a second shift, and when all other established local practices have been exhausted, per the contract, or there is a bona fide emergency.

According to my shop steward, the company denies almost all of these kinds of grievances at my hub because of the aforementioned excuses, and the ones they don't deny they just pay out on so the incidents don't get documented.

Any shop stewards reading my post, please weigh in.

LRG 391

Please understand, when a supervisor works he/she is taking work away from a bargaining unit employee. UPS is notorious for putting pressure on workers so that they are at each others throats. Remember, just because the work isn't being stolen from you personally, it is being stolen from one of your Brothers or Sisters. We stand together or we stand alone. I speak from experience. After waging a personal war against UPS for taking work from workers and allowing Supervisors to do the work I became an International Organizer. Believe me. It is hard out here for all the workers we try to help. Workers desperately grasp for union representation. At UPS we already have it - but we must fight to enforce it. Work at a safe pace and do what you can. Eventually, they will have to get you help. Each time we let a sup. work we deny work to one of Brothers. Please be strong and stand for principles- others have done that for you.

FeederGod

Here's the deal: The contract says that supervisors will not perform hourly work and they should not. But, as you know, there are times when a supervisor is going to have to move a package, break a jam in order to make service. All we offer is service to our customers, and if we don't provide the best service, the customers will go to non-union FEDEX. That Feeder driver in question should have been instructed to help move packages or shut up!!!!!!

hoser

Industrial Slob
When supervisors work, you lose money. Even your part-time stupidvisor is on salary. They get special incentives for getting you off the clock as soon as possible, thus running their department under budget. If supervisors were supposed to work, there would be far less union jobs at UPS.

According to the National Master Agreement, the company and union agree that a supervisor's job is to supervise you and not to work. That includes supervisors being forbidden from setting up the departments before the beginning of the shift. They're not supposed to be setting up rollers, backing package cars up to the lines or anything like that. The company also agrees that they won't order managers and other non-union employees to perform union work. Your solution:

When you see a supervisor working, make note of what job they were doing and for how long, and find out if any other union members witnessed it. See your shop steward at the end of your shift and tell them you want to file a grievance. If you file a grievance and feel as if you are being excessively supervised, assigned more difficult work, harassed or experience any other poor treatment in retaliation, file another grievance.

Yeah I'll be sure to do that :rolleyes:.

Reason 10982308 why I hate unions right here...

Who cares about the business needs when we can waste more energy whining about a supervisor making our life easier, than if we were just to do the bloody task?

When ever my supervisor helps out, I pretty much watch his dumb a**!

Being paid salary and coming out on the dock to lift stuff is plan old stupid of his/herself. Of course, this type of thing does not happen all the time and thats why I just watch when it does.
Do you have problems sleeping at night, wondering why companies push against unions, or why many American jobs go to third world countries? Or why non-unionized workforces are normally more satasfied with their jobs? I think you nicely summed up why in this display of yours...

I myself cannot wait for the Union to step in. This will stop all the back-stabbing going on in Overnite with Supervisors and Lead Dock Men w/ their employees.
Translated into modern english: "I want the union to step in, thinking that they have all the solutions to my problems, like having to work for a living, or having to deal with workplace interactions that may not be fully just, because I can't realize and/or accept that life is not always fair. Although I have it good, I don't have it good enough."

If you think a union is going to solve all your problems (let alone the teamsters) like politicking, unfair work balance (but you wouldn't be against this when you get the 'milk man' job after everyone quits due to the union BS and you stay because of the union BS), or "back-stabbing", you are in for a huge suprise.

Last edited: