Question about vacation pay

AZChris

Back on 8-15-2014, I put in a vacation request form in which I requested 2 weeks off.

The 2 dates I chose for my vacation time were

9-8-2014 thru 9-12-2014

and 9-15-2014 thru 9-19-2014

2 weeks.

After waiting nearly 2 weeks without hearing back from the main supe(the guy I gave my vac request form), I decided to approach him in order to find out if I was granted the days off or not?

He didn't give me a direct answer, but he somewhat assured me that I'd have the days off.."The answer is more than likely yes" in his words.I got the sense that he hadn't actually scheduled me off in the system, but he was going to.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday, I see him walking through the hub, and I ask him again "I'm good to go for next week, right?" and he told me yes.

So I wake up this morning and go to upsers to view my check.I was expecting to see 3 checks, but I only had one, my regular work week check...no vacation checks.I'm quite sure he didn't put it in.

I'm heading out of town Sunday and was really depending on my vacation pay.Being that you have to give them 2 weeks notice for vacation time, I'm afraid I won't get my vacation checks for another 2 weeks..basically, I feel like my whole vacation has been sabotaged at this point.

Is there anyway I could possibly receive my vacation pay by next week?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm confused. In my local...we pick vacation weeks in Oct or Nov for the following year. We then automatically receive our vacation checks 2 weeks before our scheduled week(s) off. You need to talk to your center manager.

AZChris

I'm confused. In my local...we pick vacation weeks in Oct or Nov for the following year. We then automatically receieve our vacation checks 2 weeks before our scheduled week(s) off.

I work out of the Phoenix, AZ Hub.There's really no set time to schedule for vacation.They always told me it's not a problem just as long as I give them at least a 2 week notice.That's the way I've been scheduling my vaation time for the last 10 years.

Never had a problem until now.The supe I'm dealing with is new(Just got promoted to the position 5 weeks ago).Not the guy I normally deal with.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We put our vacations in and don't get paid. It's just how UPS operates...or more appropriately doesn't operate.

What you do is notify management and steward of the shortage. It should be paid in two business days by next day air "green check", otherwise you will have a case for some nice extra grievance money for untimely payment.

AZChris

We put our vacations in and don't get paid. It's just how UPS operates...or more appropriately doesn't operate.

What you do is notify management and steward of the shortage. It should be paid in two business days by next day air "green check", otherwise you will have a case for some nice extra grievance money for untimely payment.

I never knew they could NDA vacation checks? I really have no faith in management right now.I don't even think they'd do it lol.The only thing they're quick to execute is a write up.

Thanks for replying

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I never knew they could NDA vacation checks? I really have no faith in management right now.I don't even think they'd do it lol.The only thing they're quick to execute is a write up.

Thanks for replying
Yeah, supervisor puts request into payroll and it needs to be authorized by someone up the chain. Please don't immediately blame your supervisor, since it's quite possible they put it in but it was denied by someone else.

AZChris

Yeah, supervisor puts request into payroll and it needs to be authorized by someone up the chain. Please don't immediately blame your supervisor, since it's quite possible they put it in but it was denied by someone else.

The guy I gave my request to is actually a full time supe.He's a step away from becoming hub manager.The guy I used to run my vacation request through got promoted to hub manager.The new guy that I'm dealing with now took his old spot.He's pretty high up.I guess you could say it's Divison Manager, Hub Manager, and then him--the new guy.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The guy I gave my request to is actually a full time supe.He's a step away from becoming hub manager.The guy I used to run my vacation request through got promoted to hub manager.The new guy that I'm dealing with now took his old spot.He's pretty high up.I guess you could say it's Divison Manager, Hub Manager, and then him--the new guy.
That is far, far , far From "pretty high up". Vacations should be chosen in senority order before each new year. This system you guys got going on is crazy. It should be in writing how vacations are chosen in your local supplement. Contact your ba. Guarantee this is not how vacations are suppose to be handled.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That is far, far , far From "pretty high up". Vacations should be chosen in senority order before each new year. This system you guys got going on is crazy. It should be in writing how vacations are chosen in your local supplement. Contact your ba. Guarantee this is not how vacations are suppose to be handled.
Agreed...I never heard of that either.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
FT supervisor is "pretty high up"? That's one lowest rank from the bottom...how much lower can you go?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That's the way they run things at our hub.He was the guy everybody pointed me to when I asked about requesting my vacation time.
Okay....then why are you asking us instead of calling your sup and finding out about your checks?? Or were you just planning on waiting till next week in the hopes that they remember and pay you?

AZChris

Okay then why are you asking us instead of calling your sup and finding out about your checks??

I don't have his number and I don't go in till 6:30pm.Like I said, I just left upsers.com, and saw that my vacation time wasn't put in.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a discussion about the various ways hub operating.

I just wanted to know if there was any way I could get my vacation check(s) before my vacation was over.

I figured maybe somebody on this board may have had a similar experience.

Sleeve_meet_Heart
already answered the question for me.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I don't have his number and I don't go in till 6:30pm.Like I said, I just left upsers.com, and saw that my vacation time wasn't put in.

I wasn't trying to turn this into a discussion about the various ways hub operating.

I just wanted to know if there was any way I could get my vacation check(s) before my vacation was over.

I figured maybe somebody on this board may have had a similar experience.
Sleeve_meet_Heart already answered the question for me.
Sleeve meet heart was under the assumption that you had put in your vacation at beginning of new vacation year how most centers operate and did not receive your check. Telling you now no way you will get a green check air mailed to you. The way your center is ran id just be happy to get A check for the week.

AZChris

Sleeve meet heart was under the assumption that you had put in your vacation at beginning of new vacation year how most centers operate and did not receive your check. Telling you now no way you will get a green check air mailed to you. The way your center is ran id just be happy to get A check for the week.

Funny you say that because they actually lost my check last week lol.The Phoenix Hub is all I know, but from what I hear from outside sources, we're pretty much behind the times.I guess I'm friend*cked.The earliest I'd be able to get my vacation pay is next week...maybe

CHALLY9TX

I work out of the Phoenix, AZ Hub.There's really no set time to schedule for vacation.They always told me it's not a problem just as long as I give them at least a 2 week notice.That's the way I've been scheduling my vaation time for the last 10 years.

Never had a problem until now.The supe I'm dealing with is new(Just got promoted to the position 5 weeks ago).Not the guy I normally deal with.

There IS a set time. How long have you been driving? Our hub schedules vacation starting the 2nd week of jan until the first week of feb. It goes by seniority. Top 25% schedule during that 1st week and so forth.

Sent using BrownCafe App