Question about vacation sellout

upserslady

My husband got his vacation sell out (5 weeks) last Friday. On this check was his past weeks pay along with the sell out with 401k taken out (all one one check). I was wondering if any others have had this happen. Usually, he would get his weekly check with another check for sell out minus his normal 401k contribution. Nothing like sinking more than $1500.00 in 401k right now they way the market is tanking. Any feedback would be appreciated!

ih8tbrn

Banned
Now is the perfect time to be sinking money into the 401k. You are getting more shares for your money and when it comes back you will be glad you did.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Sellout is right. selling back all five weeks of vacation is why we have drivers sitting home because of people who live above what they need so to sell all of the vacation

Good job

terrymac

User name, do you have enough information to say that? If so its really none of your buisness.. just my thoughts

BigBrownSanta

That's happened to me in the past. It sucks because you get really slammed on the taxes. I went from a total tax of 24% to almost 32% for that paycheck.

Maybe next year he should sell them back a week at a time. Maybe that will lessen the tax pain.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sellout is right. selling back all five weeks of vacation is why we have drivers sitting home because of people who live above what they need so to sell all of the vacation

Good job

My Mom always told me as a kid if something didn't concern me then I should:

MIND MY OWN BUSINESS!!

Sounds like user's Mom either didn't pass along that advice or user just blew her off.

My Mom always told me as a kid if something didn't concern me then I should:

MIND MY OWN BUSINESS!!

Sounds like user's Mom either didn't pass along that advice or user just blew her off.
Be careful there UpState, that could apply to anyone that offers an opinion on any thread.

I actually post in front of a mirror to remind myself of just that fact.

(I will admit that this doesn't always work which is why I have you as my reminder.)
And all this time I just thought you did that because you liked how you look. Seeee, how all that works?
Seriously, I agree that User Name went a little too far in his post. Even though he was technically correct, there could be a multitude of reasons why someone would sell off their vacas other than being in a financial bind. To assume and post that is out of line, plain and simple.

upserslady

The reason for the sellout of vacation is because we take one big vacation a year. My husband takes days here and there if needed for anything else. 6 weeks vacation a year is alot. Some people may opt for that. He sells the other weeks since 1) we cannot afford to go on vacation 6 times a year. 2) having time off is nice but who wants to sit
around for a week with nothing to do 5 times a year. (Any projects we have going on around the house are done on weekends and weeknights or we pay to have them done while we work) He has been with UPS for 25years this March and we both have great paying jobs.

To User Name - We have everything we need and most of our wants so we have no reason to live above and beyond what we make and can afford. We both have worked hard and saved money all our lives. The money from the sell out goes in to a savings for our children and a car fund for our 12 year old. That way when it is time for her to get a car it will be paid for. I do understand some people in our society tend to live one check away from poverty but I think you were wrong in hinting that maybe that is why he sold his vacations.

I wish UPS would not make the employees pick out vacations so early on. I makes it really hard to makes hard to plan that far ahead with 1 in college and another in middle school that is involved in athletics year round. His center makes them pick vacations in October for the coming year. I also wished that you could take vacation in days instead of weeks but hey --- I am just happy he has a job.

ih8tbrn

Banned
upserslady......Good for you, but you don't need to justify yourself to anyone here or anywhere else. What you and your husband do is your business.

ups767mech

The Union has fought hard to get that vacation. If you do not use your vacation the company uses that to not give you anymore. " why should we give you another week when 50 employees dont use what they already have and sell it back to us "

I for one use every bit of my vacation plus as much unpaid time off as i can.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Union has fought hard to get that vacation. If you do not use your vacation the company uses that to not give you anymore. " why should we give you another week when 50 employees dont use what they already have and sell it back to us "

They are using it, in a manner of speaking. They are cashing it in and using the funds from the 5 weeks to enjoy the one week that they kept. I agree that vacations should be used as intended but this truly is no one's business other than those involved. This guy has 25 years in so I am sure he is well aware of the vacation policy.

To his wife--I agree that picking vacations in October for the following year is very difficult, especially if you have kids. They let us pick for the first quarter (if we wanted vacation during that time) during Peak and are currently selecting the remainder of our vacations. I would also like to have the option of taking vacation weeks one day at a time but realize what a bookkeeping nightmare that would be.

We have had threads here discussing employees who work through their vacations and the majority here frowned upon this practice. This is different but then again it isn't.

Me too, it would suit me just fine that if someone wanted to sell their vaca, I would be able to buy it. LOL