Question about vacation week

deemoni

You had me at "Hello World!"
So I'm new to the forums and I got a question relating to my vacation week which I'm on right now (the week of labor day). According to my teamsters steward and other workers, I'm obligated to not come in on Monday but on Tuesday of next week, due to the fact that Labor Day was during my vacation. I asked my supervisors about this and they said I still have to come in on Monday. The steward told me that the reason they said that is because they assume I'm not knowledgable and I'll come in. Could someone clear this up for me? thanks!

brownman15

when you picked your vacation you had three options 1) get paid a extra days pay for labor day 2) take the friday before holiday or monday after vacation off 3) keep labor day as a floating option day. This should have been decided when you picked your vacation. If you did not choose option 2 when you picked your vacation you should go into work monday.

iowa boy

Here if we choose to take our vacation on a holiday week, we get the 5 days of vacation and the extra holiday pay, but no extra days off on the friday before or the monday after.

brownman15

what i quoted is from local 705 contract. Best thing to do is check your contract and work as directed and file if it is a violation

22.34life

Here if we choose to take our vacation on a holiday week, we get the 5 days of vacation and the extra holiday pay, but no extra days off on the friday before or the monday after.

same hear in texas,this is something that has always confused me.if i take 5 vacation days and one of those days falls on a holiday i actually only took 4 vacation days because of the holiday.so if i got paid for the holiday and that was a day off where the hell is my 5th day of vacation at.everbody always says the same thing "but you got paid for your holiday"thats not the point the point is i want a paid day off.no matter how you look at it you are losing 1 paid day off and yes i understand that you get paid but where is my paid day off.

22.34life

when you picked your vacation you had three options 1) get paid a extra days pay for labor day 2) take the friday before holiday or monday after vacation off 3) keep labor day as a floating option day. This should have been decided when you picked your vacation. If you did not choose option 2 when you picked your vacation you should go into work monday.

this must be supplement crap cause i have never heard or seen anything like this done.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

same hear in texas,this is something that has always confused me.if i take 5 vacation days and one of those days falls on a holiday i actually only took 4 vacation days because of the holiday.so if i got paid for the holiday and that was a day off where the hell is my 5th day of vacation at.everbody always says the same thing "but you got paid for your holiday"thats not the point the point is i want a paid day off.no matter how you look at it you are losing 1 paid day off and yes i understand that you get paid but where is my paid day off.

I am on vacation this week and was paid for the 45 hours of vacation plus the 8 hours of holiday pay. This is why I usually try to schedule my vacations to include a holiday. I am off the week of Thanksgiving so I will get 45 hours of vacation plus 16 hours of holiday.

22.34life

I am on vacation this week and was paid for the 45 hours of vacation plus the 8 hours of holiday pay. This is why I usually try to schedule my vacations to include a holiday. I am off the week of Thanksgiving so I will get 45 hours of vacation plus 16 hours of holiday.
i understand but dont you understand that you are losing a vacation day.if i have 5 vacation days and 1 holiday that equals six,so why would i only get 5 days off paid,again i understand that you get the extra pay but your losing those vacation days.now if ups would let us break our vacation days down like every other company out there it would not be an issue,you would simply use 4 vacation days and you would still have your 1 day left but since that is not an option your getting screwed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i understand but dont you understand that you are losing a vacation day.if i have 5 vacation days and 1 holiday that equals six,so why would i only get 5 days off paid,again i understand that you get the extra pay but your losing those vacation days.now if ups would let us break our vacation days down like every other company out there it would not be an issue,you would simply use 4 vacation days and you would still have your 1 day left but since that is not an option your getting screwed.

We don't get vacation days here--our vacations are in weeks only, starting with 2 weeks with a max of 6 weeks when we get our 25 yrs. For example, I am off this week. I received ny vacation check on the 27th. I was paid for 45 hours for my vacation and 8 hours for Labor Day. Now, if I had only received the 45 hours and was not paid for the holiday then I would agree with you but this was not the case. I did not get screwed.

22.34life

We don't get vacation days here--our vacations are in weeks only, starting with 2 weeks with a max of 6 weeks when we get our 25 yrs. For example, I am off this week. I received ny vacation check on the 27th. I was paid for 45 hours for my vacation and 8 hours for Labor Day. Now, if I had only received the 45 hours and was not paid for the holiday then I would agree with you but this was not the case. I did not get screwed.
ups did not operate on labor day so you would have that day off regardless so they only operated 4 days but you used a week of vacation not 4 days,so how do you figure you are not getting screwed out of one day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

ups did not operate on labor day so you would have that day off regardless so they only operated 4 days but you used a week of vacation not 4 days,so how do you figure you are not getting screwed out of one day.

I don't know how to make this any easier for you without using flash cards.

In our contract supplement it is agreed that we will receive 45 hours of pay for a vacation week. We do not have the option of breaking vacation weeks up--we have to take the whole week. Labor Day was 9/6. This was a UPS holiday. If I would have worked rather than be on vacation I would have received 8 hours holiday pay and whatever hours I worked the rest of the week, which probably would have been 32 at straight time and 2 hours OT, which would have netted me about $800. I received 45 hours of vacation pay and 8 hours of holiday pay, which netted me $1,025. (I have a 401k loan and United Way deduction that lower my take home)

Tell me again how I got screwed?

brownman15

I don't know how to make this any easier for you without using flash cards.

In our contract supplement it is agreed that we will receive 45 hours of pay for a vacation week. We do not have the option of breaking vacation weeks up--we have to take the whole week. Labor Day was 9/6. This was a UPS holiday. If I would have worked rather than be on vacation I would have received 8 hours holiday pay and whatever hours I worked the rest of the week, which probably would have been 32 at straight time and 2 hours OT, which would have netted me about $800. I received 45 hours of vacation pay and 8 hours of holiday pay, which netted me $1,025. (I have a 401k loan and United Way deduction that lower my take home)

Tell me again how I got screwed?

depends on your perspective. you did not lose any pay but you did lose a day off

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

depends on your perspective. you did not lose any pay but you did lose a day off

You do have a point in that I did lose a day but I chose to take the extra pay in lieu of the extra day.

Had I chosen the previous week I would have had the holiday off as well but then would have only a four day check the following week.

It all works itself out in the end. Dave.