question for canada upsers obout purolator.

over9five

Staff member
Speaking of Purolator....

I was making a delivery today, and the receptionist pointed to a pile of ARS.
Three were for me, but one was going to Dell by 'Purolator Logistics'.
Now I have never seen a Purolator truck around here (and I told her that), so we'll just have to see how long that box sits there.

DS

Fenderbender
Re: Speaking of Purolator....

I was making a delivery today, and the receptionist pointed to a pile of ARS.
Three were for me, but one was going to Dell by 'Purolator Logistics'.
Now I have never seen a Purolator truck around here (and I told her that), so we'll just have to see how long that box sits there.
Hey over9...tell her to call 1(888)ship 123
its toll free I`m curious what they'll tell her.
You know whats really weird here?Most Dell home PC systems are delivered by them,but when they send them back,we pick them up...
with call tag RS labels...
At work they have breakfast tomorrow for anyone
that submits a sales lead in thier diad today,
get it inya guys

hoser

Industrial Slob
Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough.

My specific case, about four years ago, (before I even thought of working for UPS) I had to send some papers overnight to a PO BOX half way across the country. Since they were going to a PO Box, I sent them via Canada Post. So far makes sense, right?

Unknown to me, they went via Purolator. The next day I got a phone call from Purolator asking for a street address for the recipient as they can not deliver to a Box #. I said I sent them through the post office just for this reason and that I don't have a street address for them. I was then told the package would be returned to me.

A week later I got a bill from Purolator for the return shipping. So not only were the papers not delivered, costing me money, but Purolator wanted more money out of me. I told them to send the bill to Canada Post.
Not that weird, but a bit more weird. As you likely learned, you can ship overnight documents via Purolator through any postal outlet, including all of those located those in 7-11s :rolleyes:

Big Babooba

Purolator Courier pulled out of the US in the 80's. They are no longer associated with the filter company. From Wikipedia:
Purolator Courier is a Canadian courier that is 97% owned by Canada Post.
The company was originally organized as Trans Canada Couriers, Ltd. In 1967 it was acquired by the US manufacturer of oil and air filters Purolator: the name was originally an abbreviated form of "pure oil later". In 1987 the company returned to Canadian ownership. Although it retained the Purolator name, it has since had no connection with the oil filter business.
Purolator has partnered with DHL for deliveries worldwide.
Kelowna Flightcraft operates Boeing 727 and Convair 580 cargo aircraft for Purolator.

As of April 28th 2008, the official union of Purolator, Teamsters gave employees a 72 hour strike warning. The reason was due to the fact that Purolator employees rejected the tentative agreement upheld. Purolator and its union are currently getting help from a federal mediator and since have reached a 2nd tentative agreement on April 30th, around 24 hours before the strike deadline.

I

iphone-savings

I work for a subcontractor for UPS in BC Canada. We got news on friday that all subcontracted routes in canada will be serviced via Purolator within the next 2 months.

Our company had a 5 year contract with UPS to service BC, and our first year anniversary of the contract would have fallen on July 1st. UPS has broken the contract, and all contracts of sublets across Canada to give this business to Purolator.

All I know is that i'll be looking for work in the next 2 months, possibly sending a resume in to Purolator, who doesn't have the manpower or facilities to handle the UPS work that is involved in our city. I don't know too much yet about this deal, and will hopefully know alot more next week. So much for working for UPS the last 8 years.

DS

Fenderbender
Purolator update\newsflash...
I guess the tiff is over because I heard,who knew,from the purolator girl in my area.that ups has reached an agreement to handle all southbound purolator pkgs in exchange for them delivering our way the hell up there pkgs.

Big Duke 6

The talk around the campfire at the Purolator Facebook site is that UPS is looking to buy Purolator. Is there any truth to this ? the topic seems to be creating some chatter amongst them.Both Purolator and UPS Canada are represented by the Teamsters.

DS

Fenderbender
I can't see this ever happening because Purolator is owned by the post office up here,and they are subsidized by the government.UPS recently lost a lawsuit here claiming Purolator was operating unfairly for this very reason.We lose thousands of accounts every year to them because their rates are lower in a lot of cases.If they did acquire them,it would surely be fought to the death by Fedex because UPS would have the predominant share of small package distribution in Canada.

Browner

My understanding is that when Purolator was up for sale (I don't know maybe 10 yrs ago) UPS wanted to purchase them but was denied due to monopoly laws. Then the Canadian Gov bought them (Canada Post)
Back in the Day we use to have a few communication meetings each year and they'd bring out the pie chart and Purolator share was approx 65-70% of all volume in Canada.
This latest deal with Puro for us to take all their international volume once it hits the border and for them to take all our backwoods northern volume in Canada to me makes sense as most of these areas the drivers will put like 300 miles on a day and you'd basically have one truck following the other (making their 20-25 deliveries) and in most cases (if not all) UPS was using a subcontracted ma and pa company to deliver the UPS packages so I dont believe any UPS jobs were lost!
In my service are there are 3 different Puro drivers covering the same area.
They seem to own the retail malls.

butter13

Either UPS pis ses off Puro. customers or vice versa......I heard the same about UPS buying puro.....who knows....our companies work together with IE shipments,delivering out of town packages, etc.......never say never.

We are the same only different colours.......maybe one day if this happens we can take the lead and wear blue and red rather then shi t brown lol.