Question for non-management folks>>>

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Do you all care about the earnings reports? Do you look forward to seeing the news and take personal responsibility if the numbers are not good?

29th Christmas

Believe it or not, after almost 29yrs I still have pride in the company. I certainly have my gripes, and feel there could be some minor changes to help the company image and grow the business.
AND:
A healthy balance sheet helps to ensure the highest wages in the sector coming and superior benefits also!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
29th

I think that your post speaks volumes for many on this board and at UPS in general. Ive been gone a while, and even now the brown pride runs deep. Still pick out one of our vehicles from miles away.

Wife still thinks I am pulling her leg about the package car sitting in front of the hospital on House.

and take personal responsibility if the numbers are not good?
Sales guy, are you for real? The numbers reflect things that are way past our level of affecting.

We can run stops better than anyone, turn in sales leads, sell leads and the list goes on. And when we see money being spent on really bone headed stuff just to make brown seem more green, that affects our bottom line more than what I or any single other person does at the ground level.

We do our jobs day after day. IF the numbers are not good, how can that be that we need to take personal responsibility for that?

Maybe you need to rephrase your thoughts?

I know, if every driver just turns in one lead that you can flip to a new customer, then we will have created 40,000 new jobs at UPS. Problem is that UPS will only hire 20,000, of which 19,980 will be min wage part timers, and the other 20 will be for the IE department to show us why we did not have to hire any new drivers to handle the extra pickups.

I hate to tell you, we have lost more customers over the last 10 years due to UPS management arrogance than we will bring on board over the next 10. Try keeping some of our already customers. That would improve our bottom line and the earnings reports.

Besides, it is a whole lot cheaper to keeper than it is to get a new one.:wink2:

d

I would like to think all upsers want to see earnings reports with profits. However I personally don't take any responsibility with respect to the earnings. I am a measly part timer, I don't think my actions can make a dent in a company that has over 50 billion dollars in revenue every year.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
All I can do is continue to smooth over with my customers the mistakes mgmnts poor planning and dispatching cause. On paper if we deliver a pkg between 9 and 5 we made service on it. To the customer, consistancy used to be our biggest selling point. Not anymore. The late start times don't help matters.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am fortunate in that they don't mess with my route all that much and any add/cuts that I get are primarily residential and they don't really care when you get there (for the most part). My commercial stops are within 15-30 minutes every day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That's how it used to be and should be. Leave the core business area of a route alone and adjust on the back end with resis. Not always the case though. Supes used to know areas and what was being moved around. Now it's just keystrokes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do you all care about the earnings reports? Do you look forward to seeing the news and take personal responsibility if the numbers are not good?

I think there are different ways of interpreting what your question is asking.
I interpret it as, "Do you as an individual have the authority and power to make a difference?"

If an employee (management or hourly) does not have authority, they do not have responsibility - Management 101 as taught by UPS.

UPS used to be a company where an individual felt and many times could make a difference. Now the company has become centralized and everything is micromanaged from the top down according to posters on BC.

So how about some opinions with Salesguy's question clarified this way?

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

No to both questions.

In my 22 years with UPS, I can point to particular decisions made by upper-level management people that have cost the company many millions of dollars in wasted time and overall inefficiency.

There is a huge amount of fat that could be trimmed from the ranks of management if only someone with enough cojones would step forward to do it.

In my building alone we are wasting tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on activities that serve no purpose other than to keep our management looking busy.

We have sups who spend hours parked at intersections in their personal vehicles doing "posture audits" of drivers to make sure they are sitting fully upright in their package cars.

We have sups doing constant, never-ending on-area-observations and OJS rides with good drivers whose only crime was to get screwed over on a timestudy.

We pay management people to write bogus, contractually irrelevant warning letters and we pay the driver plus his shop steward to sit in pointless meetings to discuss these meaningless letters. We pay management people to spend hours trying to micromanage away minutes worth of supposedly overllowed time.

We waste thousands of hours per year in the preload and hub operations due to overcrowded facilities and poorly designed equipment.

We have safety committees that accomplish nothing other than to distribute muffins and create an ever-expanding list of slogans, acronyms and commentaries for the drivers to recite on cue like trained parrots.

I cant fix these problems.They were caused by people I will never meet, who are too high up to be accountable. They will not be solved by me turning in a sales lead, participating in yet another "campaign" or anxiously awaiting the next earnings report.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
what do you mean, am I serious? Earning are coming out next week and I wanted to know who feels "all in". Being in sales, I know when my numbers are good I am contrubuting to the bottom line.

Most of the responses are what I expected - if they are good, I have a job. I don't think that is the right attitude, but that is my opinion.

Brown being green is important - for customers. Also, the calenders this year were crap, i hope they never go so cheap again - but it costs money we do not have.

i guess in some sort of romantic way, I wanted everyone to buy in that we are all part of a team.

on another note, some of the posts while I typed this lead me to beleive some of you all forget sometimes that this is a job and not a right.

edit: and maybe I think this way because in management, we have no contract. you can be let go with no excuse and in this economy, I hold my breath every monday when i look at my numbers.

sano

Personally responsible? Not really, but I am very interested in the report and how the company performs.
Maybe its a bit like when my Packers win. Did I personally have much to do with it? very little. However, I sure feel good when they pull out a W on Sunday.
At UPS though it is even more so, because if we string together enough losses (say like the packers in the 80s:happy-very:) My job will be affected.
That makes me a stake holder and a fan.

DS

Fenderbender
Scott Davis made 5.6 million dollars last year,up 115% from the year before.I try to avoid information like this because I will most likley be eating catfood when I retire.

M

Mike23

I'm proud to say I'm brown (even if I whine and gripe worse then anyone else). I enjoy coming to work on a normal kind of day (which seem to be few sometimes) and running all my stops. I take pride in how I deal with my customers and go the extra mile to help them.

My truck broke down today, 9km and 15 stops into my run. Instead of sitting on my butt I walked off another four airstops (20 min walking) and didn't manage to have late air. I had a customer ask where my car was and I told'em I was a mail man for the day because of the breakdown. He laughed and said 'that's dedication'. Customers notice these small things that FedEx and others just won't do.

I also know a lot of senior drivers in my building that wouldn't do that. I really couldn't care less about the numbers with UPS as long as I have my job and my customers are extremely happy. If I take care of my little UPS world that's all I can do.

Now, I'm not trying to push any 10+ year drivers buttons but we all know that there are dead weights in the building that just collect a pay check with a 'who gives a crap' attitude. The thing that bothers me is that if all my customers are happy and all his customers hate him, if there's a layoff, it'll be me, not him. Then the 'disease' spreads with that driver to unhappy customers because he doesn't care. Not to mention if I generate 100 sales leads a year (ok, wishful thinking) and sell 90 of them (even more wishful thinking!) and he generates 0 because it's 'more work on my truck' he still gets to keep his job before me even if I created that job FOR him.

To me, this is where the union really bites the big one.

I've done my area for around a year now and as soon as I see a new business go up, even if I don't have a delivery there, I go and ask them who they ship with. Customers notice these things. It shows we WANT their business while FedEx and others just completely ignore them.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I vote for soberups for a staff level position........you fix anything of the things you listed I will follow you to he)) and back!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm proud to say I'm brown (even if I whine and gripe worse then anyone else). I enjoy coming to work on a normal kind of day (which seem to be few sometimes) and running all my stops. I take pride in how I deal with my customers and go the extra mile to help them.

My truck broke down today, 9km and 15 stops into my run. Instead of sitting on my butt I walked off another four airstops (20 min walking) and didn't manage to have late air. I had a customer ask where my car was and I told'em I was a mail man for the day because of the breakdown. He laughed and said 'that's dedication'. Customers notice these small things that FedEx and others just won't do.

I also know a lot of senior drivers in my building that wouldn't do that. I really couldn't care less about the numbers with UPS as long as I have my job and my customers are extremely happy. If I take care of my little UPS world that's all I can do.

Now, I'm not trying to push any 10+ year drivers buttons but we all know that there are dead weights in the building that just collect a pay check with a 'who gives a crap' attitude. The thing that bothers me is that if all my customers are happy and all his customers hate him, if there's a layoff, it'll be me, not him. Then the 'disease' spreads with that driver to unhappy customers because he doesn't care. Not to mention if I generate 100 sales leads a year (ok, wishful thinking) and sell 90 of them (even more wishful thinking!) and he generates 0 because it's 'more work on my truck' he still gets to keep his job before me even if I created that job FOR him.

To me, this is where the union really bites the big one.

I've done my area for around a year now and as soon as I see a new business go up, even if I don't have a delivery there, I go and ask them who they ship with. Customers notice these things. It shows we WANT their business while FedEx and others just completely ignore them.

In the process of tooting your own horn you got a little off the topic didn't you?
With this in mind I will follow suit with a rebuttal.
I'm tired of hearing you greenhorns talk about what great, company oriented, super employees you are. All the while bashing the "senior slacker".
Did you ever stop to consider how these veterans got the way you perceive them to be?
It's the unions fault right?
What do you suggest we use instead of seniority?
Maybe a "dog year" super driver award for guys like you?
7 years in 1, you deserve it right?
How has management let you slip through the cracks?
As you progress through your career at UPS I predict you will see things from a different angle, slowly but surely.
I suggest that most, not all, are a product of their environment and experiences.
Sorry if this stings a little, but I'm betting one day you'll understand perfectly what I'm saying.

M

Mike23

mike23 - great post man. you make UPS great.

Darnit, don't say that! Now all the drivers will start teasing me :sad-very:

I've already come to this realization with management at UPS. There's no pleasing them and no matter what you do you'll be told differently by another sup because they'll be told differently by ANOTHER sup. There's 0 communication when it comes to rules and regulations. They need a 1000 page manual to be created for THEM to follow. The best thing you can do is take care of your customers because they're the ones that'll take care of you.

Man, it was Stampede week last week in Calgary. The big thing for Stampede week are the free breakfasts and BBQ's for lunch! I crashed at least 5 of them! I was even specifically told by some customers I NEED to come and it's at such and such a time.

Free hamburgers, hot dogs, pancakes, hashbrowns, eggs, juice and pop. Only downside was they all had beers :( Maybe I could claim it's a cultural insult if I didn't have a beer with them next year ;)

There wasn't as many as last year with the recession and all but I was still able to get free lunch for most of the week :D