Question for non-management folks>>>

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Now that hurts! HA! Boy, have we seen YOU before too! Every new class we get, we get the sales pitch and the gung-ho-let's-go-team speach.

With your "People Workshop" training, oh, you DID have that years ago, didn't you, you should win over many a competition's volume.

Good luck!

just curious, how would YOU win over customers?

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I doubt it. His little fantasy bubble just got popped big time.

I have an account that ships out a LOT of machine tools and parts to international customers. A lot of them are oversized and over 70 lbs. We are talking major revenue here.

Their contract with us expired a couple of years ago so the owner decided he wanted a quote from both us and FedEx. He was very clear to the account execs from both companies that he didnt have the time or desire to do any negotiating or bargaining; he would accept one offer and one offer alone.

We made our offer and FedEx made theirs. He chose FedEx. Our account exec then went back and tried to renegotiate and make a counter offer; the owner of the business kicked him out of his office and told him never to return.

We had an opportunity to make a fair offer, but we didnt listen to the customer or respect his wishes. Instead, we tried to nickle-and-dime him and jerk him around, so we lost the account. They still ship 1 or 2 pieces a day with us, but 99% of that high-revenue stuff is now leaving in the FedEx truck every afternoon.

I have offered to adjust my pickup and delivery times for this account to provide superior service to this customer and win that volume back. As a driver, thats pretty much all I can do.

Sales leads? No thanks....the last thing I want to do is to give the idiot who lost this account the chance to screw up again and cost us even more volume.

we can't sell on price. if we do, we will lose every account. as a driver, you just proved you cant do anything to win the account. sorry, that is the real UPS.

did you take a pay freeze this year to help lower our costs? NO...but I did.

upsgrunt

there is plenty of arrogance in this thread, it's not all coming from me. how do you expect to make money? give away free shipping to everyone?

I do apolgize for saying bitchy drivers...but I was talking about the drivers who chose to come off that way IN THIS THREAD. nothing more.

and I know the real UPS. I am stuck in the middle. Brown Cafe is not the real UPS - if you think it is, this company is going down in flames. I can't accept that. I think things can be fixed, but all i hear on here are greivances and poor management. How about the driver in my center that got fired for falsifying pickup records? he screwed over his entire center and lost two accounts...but he is back at work 3 months later. that must be the real UPS.

So what makes you think YOU know the real UPS and none of us do?

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
So what makes you think YOU know the real UPS and none of us do?

i didn't say you don't know the real UPS. you said I didn't, though. someone said "I cant handle the truth." edit: if you dont know about the numbers, than you dont know the real UPS. That is why we are in business, to make money.

i am saying I know the real UPS, just like you guys do. the fact that you think I dont says a lot about arrogance. we are all in the trenches everyday.

tourists24

Hey look,,, I just discovered the true identity of SalesGuy:

[video=youtube;GYpBoYa4pno]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYpBoYa4pno[/video]

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
*** is that suppose to mean? is that your response?

let me respond to your you tube with my own you tube-

[video=youtube;laW_rI3Wo54]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laW_rI3Wo54&feature=related[/video]

tourists24

Pretty good one.... cept Im not crying.... Im getting a laugh from your rants. I enjoy what I do... just hate the way its run.... we are not a team.... but hey,,, whatever floats your boat:::

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Do you all care about the earnings reports? Do you look forward to seeing the news and take personal responsibility if the numbers are not good?

When UPS begins taking responsibility for customer satisfaction and integrity so will I. Have seen too many cases where the EMPLOYEE will go the extra mile for the customer but mgnt do not.

Final answer.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
oh, i just want to say this once. the reason we charge more than fedex is because we pay our drivers the most. I think that is fine becasue we also provide the best service.

And yet in other posts you describe us as overpaid, lazy ((union)) employees.

So which reality are you trying to spin today?

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
And yet in other posts you describe us as overpaid, lazy ((union)) employees.

So which reality are you trying to spin today?

i never said lazy, I never said union. you were quick to try to call me on that, but it never happened. i also said never said overpaid - i said over inflated and that struck a nerve. sorry to upset you, but I was fairly respectful. but whatever. I know what you all do and I respect the **** out of it, but I get bashed like an elitist who does this job for fun and drives a Bently?

edit: it was your brother driver that said something about dead weight

satellitedriver

upsalesguy,
I can understand your plight, if you are in the same position as our sales rep.
1,200 accounts to service and is being told to have a 20% increase in new accounts this quarter.- His job lays in the balance, if he does not reach the corporate objective-. The same holds true for 2 drivers having to cover 3 routes, and meet service, and being under the DOT laws for road hours.
That is my new, improved UPS world.
Everyone is under unreasonable expectations at UPS and it has always been that way, in my 23yrs experience.
If you think I am just another bitching driver, I guess you are correct.
I care about UPS and it's future, because it is entwined with my future.
You come on with an attitude in Brown Cafe, then chastise the criticism you receive from BC members. Your attitude towards "non-management" (that term speaks volumes) is symptomatic of the inevitable downfall of UPS.
Are you going to use the new UPS Corporate mantra?
"Our employees are internal customers. "
Please, explain that term to me.
I vote that we change the name of the company from UPS to UP.
Service is no longer the aim.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
i never said lazy, I never said union. you were quick to try to call me on that, but it never happened.

From another thread....

i make my drivers money, don't worry about that.
the origional point was that it is not cool for someone to want this change from the RLA to happen, but not willing to help.

i'll replace union with (((lazy)) so I dont offend everyone.

You have a rather selective memory.

You also have an extremely condescending attitute towards the people who do the actual work of providing the service that you are trying to sell.

Perhaps in the future you might reconsider the wisdom of insulting and demeaning the very people who you are trying to get on board "your team."

You need us. We dont need you.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
well for future reference, should I say hourlies or union? i serisouly just wanted opinion from people not getting MIP. i am sorry if I rubbed some the wrong way, but it was nothing more than me getting defensive. I never and would never call any driver fat or worthless or and I resent that people took that as my attitude.

no, i dont have 1200 accounts, I have about 40, and they represent about $42,000 per day in UPS revenue - about $10.6 million per year.

the one area we need to seriously consider as a company is the small to medium sized customers. We as an organization think they can be self serviced and serviced by the driver and I think that is completly illogical.

I started as a sales representative pre-project emerge and if it wasnt for the drivers and blowing out my business plan, i wouldnt have my job now. We dont even have sales reps, we have sales support representatives that do everything from drop box audits to sales leads.

we need more people in BD. plain and simple.

Last edited:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
From another thread....

You have a rather selective memory.

You also have an extremely condescending attitute towards the people who do the actual work of providing the service that you are trying to sell.

Perhaps in the future you might reconsider the wisdom of insulting and demeaning the very people who you are trying to get on board "your team."

You need us. We dont need you.

sorry the ((())) was for sarcasm. i did forget I typed that, my bads. emotion bro - yes that was in another thread, referring to another topic. thanks for trolling me.

and you dont need me huh? you do know fedex is out there with people like me bashing our company to win business?

you are some kind of miracle worker.