Question for NYC Drivers.

Big Babooba

They're for "safety". I guess the Big Brown pkg car, parked illegally, is invisible.

Whether the big brown truck is parked legally or not isn't the issue. People don't pay attention. How many times have you put your signal on and pulled over to the curb. When you get out there is a car right on your tail with the driver all pissed off because he's stuck behind you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Whether the big brown truck is parked legally or not isn't the issue. People don't pay attention. How many times have you put your signal on and pulled over to the curb. When you get out there is a car right on your tail with the driver all pissed off because he's stuck behind you.
You are right Big. People don't pay attention and it seems like the bigger the vehicle the less attention they pay. My one unavoidable accident was an old lady that hit my right rear bumper when she was behind me trying to make an illegal left turn. She didn't even see the truck. In fact she thought I hit her. Makes me wonder.

tourists24

This all brings a question to mind? Where do all the package drivers that deliver in the city live? I know the standard of living is outrageous so how far away do you guys live? commute much?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What I thought was cool about the trucks in NYC were the NDA mail slots on the sides of the trucks. You could drop off air without going to the UPS store or finding a driver.

I agree, this should be nationwide.

The only problem with this is that people don't always check to make sure that the letter they are sending is actually going UPS. I have 4 dropboxes on my area and usually have at least 1 pkg a day that is non-UPS. The other day I had 6 small QVC USPS returns in one drop box. I simply drove to her house and put them by her front door.

The concept is a good one and works well in big cities but I don't see the need in Small Town USA.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The only problem with this is that people don't always check to make sure that the letter they are sending is actually going UPS. I have 4 dropboxes on my area and usually have at least 1 pkg a day that is non-UPS. The other day I had 6 small QVC USPS returns in one drop box. I simply drove to her house and put them by her front door.

The concept is a good one and works well in big cities but I don't see the need in Small Town USA.

I beg your pardon?:surprised:

Tiny Panda

What I thought was cool about the trucks in NYC were the NDA mail slots on the sides of the trucks. You could drop off air without going to the UPS store or finding a driver.

Such as........

I found that quite novel too, we don't have prepaid envelopes or the like in the UK so something like that is different.

Funny you should say that, i used to collect from the Royal Mail international hub at Heathrow and once every couple of months i would get an OCA and it would be 3 or 4 huge air freight bags of smalls that had been dropped into the mail boxes with UPS return labels on instead of giving them to a driver or booking a collection.
There was all sorts, Ipods, dongles, head phones, everything you could think of. All of this was potential claims i was told as it was missing items although it never entered our system so i couldnt see as to how it could be claims against us.
Anyway, one time they did a count on what was in there and they found 13 Ipods, 23 Apple mice, 24 sets of Apple headphones, 47 Laptop batteries (faulty Dell ones) 63 mobile phones and dozens of other random stuff.

Our sup was somewhat surprised when i told him i used to get it every few months as he had never been told about it before.

P

pickup

They're for "safety". I guess the Big Brown pkg car, parked illegally, is invisible.

he is not necessarily parked illegally steven. I believe he is parked on 42nd street (pointing west) between 7th and 8th avenues. You can't make out the regulatory signs on the lamp post very well, but here is what I think they say. The top sign says no standing , 7am -10am , 4pm -7pm.(this is so that the buses can have an exclusive lane during rush hour. So let's say he wasn't parked there during those hours, the middle sign now applies but I am going to paraphrase what I think it states "No standing excepts trucks actively loading, 3 hour limit" and here is where the bottom sign comes in " pay at the munimeter". This is what is being used in place of parking meters these days in new york in manhattan ,they are still around but disappearing but are being replaced by a central unit where you pay your money and get a timed receipt that you display in your dashboard window. Trucks are subject to the muni meter. You could argue that he should be closer to the curb but assuming the correct conditions: time and that he paid the muni meter and displayed his receipt, he is legally parked.

I wonder if he paid the muni meter and if he did, does he get reimbursed?

P

pickup

We used to eat these, while selling fireworks on Canal St. You could get them at the Chinese restaurant on the Corner of Canal and Mott St. Don't know if that restaurant is still there.

if you go to google earth, type in canal street and mott street, hit the picture for the street view and you will get shot of 88 mott street which is very close to the intersection , you can follow the arrows to get at the intersection and then panoramically view what was there at the time google did the photography. You can see what is at that corner. I tried but wasn't able to take advantage of the full treatment due to my spotty wifi connection. You can do this for a lot of areas of nyc including your old stomping grounds if you want to want to go down memory lane.

Tiny Panda

he is not necessarily parked illegally steven. I believe he is parked on 42nd street (pointing west) between 7th and 8th avenues. You can't make out the regulatory signs on the lamp post very well, but here is what I think they say. The top sign says no standing , 7am -10am , 4pm -7pm.(this is so that the buses can have an exclusive lane during rush hour. So let's say he wasn't parked there during those hours, the middle sign now applies but I am going to paraphrase what I think it states "No standing excepts trucks actively loading, 3 hour limit" and here is where the bottom sign comes in " pay at the munimeter". This is what is being used in place of parking meters these days in new york in manhattan ,they are still around but disappearing but are being replaced by a central unit where you pay your money and get a timed receipt that you display in your dashboard window. Trucks are subject to the muni meter. You could argue that he should be closer to the curb but assuming the correct conditions: time and that he paid the muni meter and displayed his receipt, he is legally parked.

I wonder if he paid the muni meter and if he did, does he get reimbursed?

And geek of the day award goes to pickup!

Just cross referenced my pics with Google Streetmap and you are correct, he was parked outside Regal Cinema on 42nd St

Tiny Panda

if you go to google earth, type in canal street and mott street, hit the picture for the street view and you will get shot of 88 mott street which is very close to the intersection , you can follow the arrows to get at the intersection and then panoramically view what was there at the time google did the photography. You can see what is at that corner. I tried but wasn't able to take advantage of the full treatment due to my spotty wifi connection. You can do this for a lot of areas of nyc including your old stomping grounds if you want to want to go down memory lane.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?frien...p=12,28.792870177395205,,0,-1.257812499999998

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?frien...bp=12,203.66005767739532,,0,2.890625000000002

According to the clock thing on 42nd St the pics were taken in Dec 2007, pretty poor quality compared to what has just been released in the UK

Compare that to our version

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?frien...p=12,349.09525932238085,,0,11.468749999999996

P

pickup

And geek of the day award goes to pickup!

Just cross referenced my pics with Google Streetmap and you are correct, he was parked outside Regal Cinema on 42nd St

I only knew the parking regulations because many many years back, I used to deliver to the b.b. kings just up the block from where the ups truck is parked. Nice pic by the way, it is really clear! I might have been off in the word by word description of the second sign, but I had the jist of it down.
By the way, this street can generate a lot of revenue for parking enforcement agents on a sunday. People tend to read the top sign and see no standing does not apply on sunday and then assume they can park their cars on this side of the street because they don't bother reading the other signs which indicates it is still for trucks only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiny Panda

I only knew the parking regulations because many many years back, I used to deliver to the b.b. kings just up the block from where the ups truck is parked. Nice pic by the way, it is really clear! I might have been off in the word by word description of the second sign, but I had the jist of it down

12 Megapixel SLR and no idea how to use it :biting:

P

pickup

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?frien...p=12,28.792870177395205,,0,-1.257812499999998

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?frien...bp=12,203.66005767739532,,0,2.890625000000002

According to the clock thing on 42nd St the pics were taken in Dec 2007, pretty poor quality compared to what has just been released in the UK

Compare that to our version

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?frien...p=12,349.09525932238085,,0,11.468749999999996

The negative must have gotten reversed, it looks like everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road.:wink2:(save your corrective posts, it is a joke!)

you're right, your quality is much clearer, hmmm!