Question for old timer/experienced drivers...

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
If they haven't done it by now, I find it unlikely they will ever do it.

Do any of your centers still have the 4? We still use it, although very little. Pretty much everything has been the 5 for a year now.
We have a handful of 4's that they were using for helper boards but I don't think I even saw those this past peak.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I loved rainy days working with paper-------all the evidence UPS could use against you was for the most part destroyed. How many stops did you want to say you delivered today? What do you mean you can't read the signatures---you can't read anything on that water logged wad of TP.

I remember there being a certain pen we had for awhile that would write on wet paper just as well as dry paper. Seems like it was a black barrel papermate pen.

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember there being a certain pen we had for awhile that would write on wet paper just as well as dry paper. Seems like it was a black barrel papermate pen.

Wow---we were never issued those. All we had were fine point pens that did an excellent job of shredding wet paper.

clean hairy

If they haven't done it by now, I find it unlikely they will ever do it.

Do any of your centers still have the 4? We still use it, although very little. Pretty much everything has been the 5 for a year now.
Still got tons of 4s here.
The abc keyboard has not been a problem once you get accustomed to it.

oldngray

nowhere special
And don't forget the carbon paper and needing to switch pages for different delivery areas. I used 2 or 3 clipboards with paper because of switching around.

oldupsman

I used 1 through 4 and really thought 4 was the best. I retired before the 5. My driver has the 5 and it just seems too small
to me. But I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it. You young guys must get a laugh out of the 1. It was like carrying
a book around with you all day.

EasyTrucker

When I first started part time air driving after preload, we had just gotten DIAD 1. They didn't have any extras so I delivered on paper. The best part was coming back to the building and calling in every NDA I delivered while on the clock. Easy money!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I thought each version was a little better than the previous one, the problem was that company seemed to think that each new version made us more productive so every time we got a new diad the stop counts went up.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
And don't forget the carbon paper and needing to switch pages for different delivery areas. I used 2 or 3 clipboards with paper because of switching around.

I still have my old clipboard I used all those years. The corners are all rounded off from dropping it and general abuse.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Still got tons of 4s here.
The abc keyboard has not been a problem once you get accustomed to it.
I've gotten better at typing on it. Though I honestly don't use it all that much. Whenever my counter clerk has something that needs to be sheeted or delivering a package to an insider I ask him to bring it to me so I can get some practice in on it. My job description doesn't really involve anything with the DIAD besides downloading them. But I think if you're in operations and are clueless on the DIAD you shouldn't have that position.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I used 1 through 4 and really thought 4 was the best. I retired before the 5. My driver has the 5 and it just seems too small
to me. But I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it. You young guys must get a laugh out of the 1. It was like carrying
a coffee table book around with you all day.

fixed it for you;)

clean hairy

I thought each version was a little better than the previous one, the problem was that company seemed to think that each new version made us more productive so every time we got a new diad the stop counts went up.
Yup!
Just as each version of Orion will be better than the last one.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I still have my old clipboard I used all those years. The corners are all rounded off from dropping it and general abuse
I used the same clipboard for several years, and I've still got mine somewhere in my garage, complete with the stainless banker's clip and a tablet of 50 line delivery record. It was indeed hell when rained. Always carried it paper side down on top of the box, and I had a piece of laminated cardboard over the page to keep it dry also. There were no diads in service when I went into feeders in '87. Sorry I missed that technology. lol.

By The Book

What was the first year each of these were used and was each one significantly better than the previous?

UPS-Photo-1.jpg
I would say in this scenario that bigger is not better.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I loved rainy days working with paper-------all the evidence UPS could use against you was for the most part destroyed. How many stops did you want to say you delivered today? What do you mean you can't read the signatures---you can't read anything on that water logged wad of TP.
I've heard stories of old timers taking 2-3 hour lunches and punching in liscense plate numbers as shipper numbers for fake deliveries.