Question for Shop Stewards and (maybe) Management

code42

I have seen one of the stewards ( who's new to it ) trying to battle management over 1 driver that is layed off. The driver gets 8 hours in either preload, or local sort. Why would he fight to get them back in driving so hard? He writes the sups for shuttling packages, and is always trying to ask employees if management shuttled them anything and the times and dates. Is he getting paid for that? Sometimes the driver gets to work, and sometimes not. Today the driver came to work but was told there was no work and to come back tonight to unload. He filed for 8 hours for them to get paid. I am new to UPS and was wondering if this steward was going overboard or not. I don't want to be represented by a guy that management hates ( should the day come ) How does management react to these grievances, and would you file them?

jimstud

Banned
first of all how do think ups feels about money for nothing? 2nd do you think management should be doing teamster work with one of your brothers laid off? 3rd the driver that is laid off makes more per hour driving than on the morning or twi shift. sounds like your stewatd is doing right by his people i would rather have my steward hated by management than be in bed with them.

UPSNewbie

Sounds like a steward that actually does his job. I'd be impressed if any of the stewards at my old center would ask about sups working. It's what I get for being in the reddest state. No one cares here.

3HrsOverAllowed

I have seen one of the stewards ( who's new to it ) trying to battle management over 1 driver that is layed off. The driver gets 8 hours in either preload, or local sort. Why would he fight to get them back in driving so hard? He writes the sups for shuttling packages, and is always trying to ask employees if management shuttled them anything and the times and dates. Is he getting paid for that? Sometimes the driver gets to work, and sometimes not. Today the driver came to work but was told there was no work and to come back tonight to unload. He filed for 8 hours for them to get paid. I am new to UPS and was wondering if this steward was going overboard or not. I don't want to be represented by a guy that management hates ( should the day come ) How does management react to these grievances, and would you file them?
I too am a steward dealing with the same issue of drivers working preload and not driving. I also deal with sups shuttling misloads while these guys are sitting at the house. Just yesterday i won a grievance for sups working($230). Today, there is a new procedure in place to make sure this does not happen anymore. I guess we'll see how long it lasts.

drewed

Shankman
Sounds like a steward that actually does his job. I'd be impressed if any of the stewards at my old center would ask about sups working. It's what I get for being in the reddest state. No one cares here.
What makes you think youre in the reddest state?

DS

Fenderbender
What makes you think youre in the reddest state?

You know you live in Oklahoma if....
The Blue Book value of your truck goes up and down depending on the amount of gas in the tank.
It doesn't seem odd to see the term "chicken fried chicken" on a menu.
Q: What's the last thing an Oklahoma stripper takes off?
A: Her bowling shoes.
Well drew maybe not the reddest state. . .its OK with me
just funnin' ya

drewed

Shankman
From the latest presidential election: not one county voted blue. There was at least one blue county in every other state.

And yes, DS. Those are so very true. :whiteflag:
AK doesnt have counties, and hasnt voted dem in nearly 50 years.....So whos the reddest state?

evilleace

Your steward is definitely doing the right thing if he didn't question about sups working he would be a bad steward stewards and management are almost always at odds with each other.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

CODE ,

Heres the best advice anyone is going to give you.. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

The steward is exactly right and is doing what he is suppose to be doing.

Until you have some time under your belt, stay out of the way or you will get run over.

:wink2:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
AK doesnt have counties, and hasnt voted dem in nearly 50 years.....So whos the reddest state?
OK went for McCain by the largest margin in the election, 65%. WY was in second with 64%. AK was about 59%, somewhere around 6th or 7th.
Going strictly by the last presidential election, OK is the reddest state.

code42

thank you all for the information. the only way to learn is to ask. I never knew that there was so many games ( so to speak ) played between management, drivers, and the Union. I guess I should study the contract and get to know the stewards. is there a link to a online contract book anywhere?

UPSNewbie

thank you all for the information. the only way to learn is to ask. I never knew that there was so many games ( so to speak ) played between management, drivers, and the Union. I guess I should study the contract and get to know the stewards. is there a link to a online contract book anywhere?

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement.335360/

You should ask your steward or call your Business Agent for your own handbook.

Jones, thanks for the percentages. I didn't remember them.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Code, get to know your steward. That steward could one day be saving your job. I would be happy to have your steward here. Get to know your contract. Ask Questions. Billy had it right. Ask your steward.

And what ever you do, IGNORE T.O.S. :wink2:

Dustyroads

If your steward weren't doing all of those things, he wouldn't be doing his job. Sometime you should buy him a Coke, or just thank him for all of the hard work he does. Imagine having to go head to head against management every day, protecting the rights of other guys. That's what your guy does. There is no end to the steward's job, and there is no pay. In our building we have the best stewards in the business. I'm happy for that

Steward773

Alot of good post's in here. It's nice to hear of a shop steward that is doing the right thing. Supervisors supervise, drivers drive. Period.:thumbsup:

Braveheart

Sounds like a good steward to me. They should use the full timer to do the work. Why should he work a split shift if he could just do preload and go straight to airs and shuttling.