Question for ST LOUIS drivers

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Krys88, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Krys88

Krys88 New Member

My husband is a UPS driver in a smaller city in Missouri and we are considering moving to STL. He has a pretty good rural route where we are at and worries about moving, but I really want to. How bad of a route would he end up on in STL with about 12 years under his belt at UPS here? Also, is there any other info you can add about being a driver in STL...especially anything positive?!

2. rod

rod retired and happy

Don't get on one that includes Freguson

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

He would fall to the bottom of the seniority list in the new center. He wouldn't have his own route

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Is the building in the same local? Are you sure he can transfer?i don't know of any places where you can move to another location without a change of operations.

5. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I'm assuming he's in local 688. That's essentially the eastern half of the state. There are 4-5 centers in the greater St. Louis area.

Here's the problem your husband is going to have. He can only transfer by bidding an area wide job. This would be a retirement or a new route creation. The problem is with 12 years of seniority the chances of getting a retirement route are slim.

So that leaves him with a newly created route. These are few and far between and usually crappy routes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Krys88

Krys88 New Member

Hmmm ok..thanks for the info!

7. Krys88

Krys88 New Member

I'm not sure

8. Brownslave688

What are your reasons for wanting to move to St. Louis?

You can pm me if you need more info

9. Krys88

Krys88 New Member

I am from there and want to move back there. I would also be getting a job with a large pay increase.

10. reginald396

reginald396 Member

Unless you husband has already been approved for a same LOCAL transfer then he won't just get a job at a new center. He would have to commute to his same job.

11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

How far is it from your present location to St. Louis? If it is 2 hours or less, perhaps you could find a home midway between the two and you both could commute to your respective jobs.

12. Brownslave688

He would have to bid a job in the new center like I said.

13. Brownslave688

There are centers in earth city crystal city Farmington and downtown that I know of.

14. Brownslave688

Your husband would likely be pretty miserable moving from a rural route though.

15. UpstateNYUPSer

Brownslave, this is kind of like your situation.

Would you start your UPS career all over again if your wife was offered a job making even more money but had to move to accept it?

16. UpstateNYUPSer

Going from the sticks to the hood? Piece of cake. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  17. Krys88

Krys88 New Member

It's less about the job for me and more about wanting to move back to St. Louis...i didn't realize the transfer policy was so difficult with ups

18. Brownslave688

Your husband didn't tell you it's almost impossible when you brought up moving?

19. Brownslave688

I already knew it was gonna happen when I took the job. We made a decision to do what was necessary. We have been very lucky that everything to this point has worked out great for us.

But we also lived 2-4 hours apart Monday-Friday for almost 4 years. Most wouldn't make that sacrifice.

20. Brownslave688

Been there done that. It is not.