question for you guys in the pacific northwest

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I'm looking at putting in for a transfer next year. I'm wondering if there is a hub near port Angeles WA. Or what hubs are up near that area. I want nothing to do with Seattle. I'm already in a concrete jungle and I'm looking for some fresh air and open spaces to raise a family and all that jazz. Any info would he appreciated. Also I tried googling for ups hubs up there but the only thing that pops up is ups stores. Thanks in advance.

tadpole

There's a center in Port Angeles - I think it's 9830 slic?. Also, Elma, Port Townsend, and Chehalis.
I've never been to any of these centers but know we build those loads. I think they are small centers with minimal employees.

All the buildings that are available are attached to the transfer sign up sheet every October.... I think Discovery Bay is the building you are looking for... But you sound more like a homer alaska kind a guy.

PackageDonkey

Box Delivery Man
Yep. The Port Angeles center is a small center. Somewhere between 17-20 routes a day. Plenty of open space and fresh air. Good area to deliver as we dont deal with much snow, are in the rain shadow in Sequim, and the summers rarely get warmer than 80 degrees with low humidity. We are also a driver sort center, so most guys load their own route. We just had a transfer and a few guys are retiring this year, so a transfer is realistic within the next couple of years. Discovery Bay is an even smaller center. They run 8-9 routes a day. Easy work up here. Also, we dont have any of this orion stuff or edd. We rely on route knowlege and a good ole fashioned map.

Last edited:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Yep. The Port Angeles center is a small center. Somewhere between 17-20 routes a day. Plenty of open space and fresh air. Good area to deliver as we dont deal with much snow, are in the rain shadow in Sequim, and the summers rarely get warmer than 80 degrees with low humidity. We are also a driver sort center, so most guys load their own route. We just had a transfer and a few guys are retiring this year, so a transfer is realistic within the next couple of years. Discovery Bay is an even smaller center. They run 8-9 routes a day. Easy work up here. Also, we dont have any of this orion stuff or edd. We rely on route knowlege and a good ole fashioned map.
Be nice to Bill.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Thanks for the replies. Wouldn't mind loading my own route. Would kind of prefer it actually. Everything sounds great but the fact that the building is so small I would be worried about getting laid off. I might have to settle for a bigger building around the Seattle area and just live 45 minutes away.

brownrod

The hubs to avoid are Seattle (downtown), Tukwila (ghetto) and Redmond (hub with 4 centers).

North of Seattle are Everett, Arlington, Burlington and Bellingham. All of these centers have a mixture of urban and rural routes. Nothing special here.

If you can afford to be low man and miss a lot of days of work I would suggest you transfer to the port angeles area.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
As long as Everette and Arlington and the like are large enough that I won't miss any days of work I will go check them out. I'm not even close to retirement so I can't miss a bunch of days. I wouldn't mind working in a big hub like Seattle so I'm always working. But I would like to live out side of the city. I live in so cal and I'm over the rat race and insane housing prices and insane cost of living and non stop traffic to and from work. I live 25 minutes from my hub with no traffic. But it takes me over an hour every morning with traffic. Oregon and Washington look amazing and I'm taking some vacation this year to go up there with the wife and check it out. I'm sure we won't want to come home lol. Thanks for the info everyone. Anyone from Oregon feel free to post up too. I'm also looking around the Portland/beaverton area.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Brownrod how big are those hubs you mentioned. Everette Arlington burlington and Bellingham. Are they large enough that if I transfered up the I would work everyday?

brownrod

Brownrod how big are those hubs you mentioned. Everette Arlington burlington and Bellingham. Are they large enough that if I transfered up the I would work everyday?

30-50 routes. burlington being about 30 or less. I couldn't tell you if you would work everyday.

brownrod

As long as Everette and Arlington and the like are large enough that I won't miss any days of work I will go check them out. I'm not even close to retirement so I can't miss a bunch of days. I wouldn't mind working in a big hub like Seattle so I'm always working. But I would like to live out side of the city. I live in so cal and I'm over the rat race and insane housing prices and insane cost of living and non stop traffic to and from work. I live 25 minutes from my hub with no traffic. But it takes me over an hour every morning with traffic. Oregon and Washington look amazing and I'm taking some vacation this year to go up there with the wife and check it out. I'm sure we won't want to come home lol. Thanks for the info everyone. Anyone from Oregon feel free to post up too. I'm also looking around the Portland/beaverton area.

seattle is not that big. it's just stupid downtown seattle. Redmond is the big one and it's on the east side of lake washington. it has 4 centers and at least a couple hundred routes. if you can handle city delivering then transfer to redmond. you would probably work all the time. centers north of seattle and out by port angeles have rural routes. That's where I want to be!!! city delivering sucks.

seattle is not that big. it's just stupid downtown seattle. Redmond is the big one and it's on the east side of lake washington. it has 4 centers and at least a couple hundred routes. if you can handle city delivering then transfer to redmond. you would probably work all the time. centers north of seattle and out by port angeles have rural routes. That's where I want to be!!! city delivering sucks.
Seattle has about 200 routes. Redmond has more. Arlington, everett, Burlington all looked for a transfer last year. Everett/Arlington are bonus centers.

All you can do is sign up for 2 buildings in October, and see what that brings you in 2016. If you are offered a position, call the center mgr. asking about what your layoff chances are.

llamainmypocket

If customer care center =/= hub then it's 3216 East Highway 101, Port Angeles, WA. I couldn't find the building itself but it says it's located in the middle of the highway. Personally, I'd pick a larger facility. One thats closer to seattle but doesnt enter the concrete jungle.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Thanks for the info. I've never done a rural route. It sounds awesome though. The building I'm in now has 4 centers and about 250 routes. Kind of the norm in so cal.