Question from another discussion thread.

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all UPS management employees:

Have you read the UPS Policy BooK?

This question was brought up by Brown Cafe Member JonFrum in a recent discussion thread.

If you are not a management person, I ask you to please refrain from interrupting this thread with frivolous, hurtful and mocking comments.

I know I can't control what anyone posts, I am just asking this as a courtesy but please feel free to post as your needs require.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've read the Policy Book maybe 10 times over the years.
We discussed changes from the previous version to the newest version.
We tend to read more from the Legacy Books than the Policy Book these days.

beentheredonethat

I've read the policy book cover to cover when I was a new supv. Also, at all of our meetings we would read a small section of the policy book and discuss what it means. However, it seems that we do the policy book reading less and less over time. Now it's only at the big meetings that we bring it out.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've read the policy book cover to cover when I was a new supv. Also, at all of our meetings we would read a small section of the policy book and discuss what it means. However, it seems that we do the policy book reading less and less over time. Now it's only at the big meetings that we bring it out.
beentheredonethat,

Thank you for your participation!

Have you read the current revison?

Have you seen the roll out for the revision in the Inside UPS Magazine?

Have you seen the video pertaining to the roll out of the current revision?

In your opinion, does the local management in your area make it their priority to uphold the values and integrity of the UPS Policy Book and the Code of Conduct?

or

Do they have the "do whatever it takes to get down" mentality that comes from a fear based, numbers based culture and not a value based, character based and integrity based culture

Your thoughts on these questions would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
I

Rallyguy

We read the policy book every day in Presort. We talk about team work, partnership, and safety. For every operation I've seen the only thing management cares about is "did we get down on time", and "did we hit production". It doesn't matter if they torch the building because they ran under plan staffing (trying to force production), or if every PT was in a truck loading.

Why? Because staff level management, and above, only come in when you consistently miss those two elements.

Also, every FT sup in my hub has to work at least 11 hours a day. If they hit production they know they will not have to attend post sort and extend it to 12 or 13 hours.

Integrity

Binge Poster
We read the policy book every day in Presort. We talk about team work, partnership, and safety. For every operation I've seen the only thing management cares about is "did we get down on time", and "did we hit production". It doesn't matter if they torch the building because they ran under plan staffing (trying to force production), or if every PT was in a truck loading.

Why? Because staff level management, and above, only come in when you consistently miss those two elements.

Also, every FT sup in my hub has to work at least 11 hours a day. If they hit production they know they will not have to attend post sort and extend it to 12 or 13 hours.
Rallyguy,

Who actually reads the policy book during the presort and are you using the current revision?

Is your operation like you describe?

If so, how do you feel about working under these conditions and do you think there is hope for change?

Sincerely,
I

beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat,

Thank you for your participation!

Have you read the current revison? I skimmed through the 2011 edition when they rolled it out.

Have you seen the roll out for the revision in the Inside UPS Magazine? I don't recall exactly when\where\how the rollout was presented to us.

Have you seen the video pertaining to the roll out of the current revision? I don't recall

In your opinion, does the local management in your area make it their priority to uphold the values and integrity of the UPS Policy Book and the Code of Conduct?

or

Do they have the "do whatever it takes to get down" mentality that comes from a fear based, numbers based culture and not a value based, character based and integrity based culture

Your thoughts on these questions would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
I

I'm not in operations any longer. I'm in a subset of B.D. So upholding values and integrity is important to my group. The more accurate we are with the delivery records, scanning etc. the easier and better it is for my group. I'm a big believer in Karma and I think the people who break the rules will eventually pay the price. It hasn't always happened (yet). Internally I have to fight with local operations to make sure the right thing gets done.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm not in operations any longer. I'm in a subset of B.D. So upholding values and integrity is important to my group. The more accurate we are with the delivery records, scanning etc. the easier and better it is for my group. I'm a big believer in Karma and I think the people who break the rules will eventually pay the price. It hasn't always happened (yet). Internally I have to fight with local operations to make sure the right thing gets done.
beentheredonethat

A subset of B.D.?

Internally from a B.D. stand point how to do deal with the blatant chronic abuse of customers packages?

Where I am from package care isn't even on the radar?

I often wondered how BD people justified sellling a service(proper treatment of a customer's parcels) that just doesn't intentionally happen.

Maybe you could shed some light on this inconsistency with what we claim to offer and what we truly offer.

Thank you for your participation in this discussion.

Sincerely,
I

Rallyguy

Rallyguy,

Who actually reads the policy book during the presort and are you using the current revision? Every FT has to rotate including support functions.

Is your operation like you describe? Yes.

If so, how do you feel about working under these conditions and do you think there is hope for change?

I didn't like it, so I found a different job/career. For me, Corp. taking 25% of my MIP without saying anything was the last straw. They simply do not compensate enough for the job they are asking us to do. Yes, we can change... But will we? Absolutely not, Upper management (Corp.) has seen that all they need to do is ask for higher and higher performance goals and the operators will deliver or die trying. From my perspective we often sacrifice cost for the sake of a leading indicator (PPH,PPT,OTN..).

Those who can leave this terrible work environment will, while those who can't/wont/don't want to (Various reasons: can't get compensated as well at other jobs, too many years of service, risk averse) will stay and produce the results. Unfortunately the culture is "Get it done" instead of "Get it done right".

Sincerely,
I

beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

A subset of B.D.? Yes, I'm in a support role and do not directly do "sales", although I assist the sales folks.

Internally from a B.D. stand point how to do deal with the blatant chronic abuse of customers packages? Well believe it or not, damages are a relatively minor issue to the customers I deal with.

Where I am from package care isn't even on the radar?

I often wondered how BD people justified sellling a service(proper treatment of a customer's parcels) that just doesn't intentionally happen. Although UPS does need to improve, I see worse handling conditions by the customer before UPS gets the packages. Does that make it right? No Keep in mind, you make it sound as if we shouldn't do our job of selling (or helping to sell) UPS services if UPS isn't perfect. By going on that same logic, how can you justify working for the same company delivering pkgs that are damaged? Expand the question, how can Microsoft sell software with bugs in it? How can coca cola sell soft drinks that are bad for you? How can AB Inbev sell beer considering many people become alcoholics and others drink their product then get behind the wheel? I could go on.

Maybe you could shed some light on this inconsistency with what we claim to offer and what we truly offer. Again, although I wish we were perfect 100% of the time for 100% of the packages. Very often a pkg that looks to be in shoddy shape still has contents in good condition. We offer a reliable service of getting the package on the day we committed and giving information on the package to the shipper and consignee. We do have issues on occasion with customers pkg care. In some cases customers are knowingly using boxes that are used multiple times. Ironically the customers that care the most about package quality are the ones that use the cheapest cardboard and treat the packages the worse in their own operation.

Thank you for your participation in this discussion.

Sincerely,
I

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I can't believe that I just read two paragraphs shifting blame on to the customer, for damages. Worse, I can't believe someone wrote it. ;) Even than that worse, they're in "management".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can't believe that I just read two paragraphs shifting blame on to the customer, for damages. Worse, I can't believe someone wrote it. ;) Even than that worse, they're in "management".

I wonder if he realizes that drivers have the right to "politely" refuse to accept a package that appears as though it may not make it through our system. I am known as "The Shaker" as I shake suspect packages and will refuse to accept them if they don't pass the "Shake" test. If I have a potential damage on my car I will assess it and bring back undeliverable ones and let the customer inspect those that are not as bad.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Meanwhile at the UPS store where someone just dropped off a Kellogg's Raisen Bran box taped together with Hello Kitty stickers that gets put in the daily drop off pile that the store made .50 on......

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sleeve_meet_heart,

Blame shift is a common form of shirking responsibility and accountability.

This happens in a faulty corporate culture.

It also happens in the lives of individuals.

This is wrong.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Meanwhile at the UPS store where someone just dropped off a Kellogg's Raisen Bran box taped together with Hello Kitty stickers that gets put in the daily drop off pile that the store made .50 on......
Jackburton,

The UPS pickup driver should refuse this package if it in not packed in a manner that can withstand the UPS system.

It should be left at the UPS store.

If it is accepted as acceptable for shipment then UPS is fully liable for the safe delivery of this parcel.

Sincerely,
I

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sleeve_meet_heart,

Blame shift is a common form of shirking responsibility and accountability.

This is wrong.

Sincerely,
I

C,
It is your opinion it is wrong.
Some days, it seems like 80% of the threads on here reflect "Blame Shift" on the part of the poster.
Blame shift lets imperfect people keep on keeping on without feeling bad about themselves.
It is commonly known in the medical journals that people are happier and feel better about themselves when they don't feel guilty.

Why do you want people to exist in a living hell?

Integrity

Binge Poster
C,
Some days, it seems like 80% of the threads on here reflect "Blame Shift" on the part of the poster.
Blame shift lets imperfect people keep on keeping on without feeling bad about themselves.
It is commonly known in the medical journals that people are happier and feel better about themselves when they don't feel guilty.

Hoaxster,

Where have I ever said this?

I am not inclined to look up this medical information, but if possible send a link and I would definitely check it out.

Experience has shown me that many individuals are in very bad spots in life because they have failed to accept the whole truth about how they have lived or are living their lives.

Denial of sorts has led many to try to be "happier and feel better about themselves" through, materialism. workaholism, alcohol, drugs, sex addictions.....

Just because humans can falsley feel not guilty doesn't mean that they are not guilty.

My experience has shown that taking responsibility for one's actions and guilt, accepting it, and being sorry for it, is what truly brings eternal joy and happiness.

Sincerely,
I

UnconTROLLed

perfection
C,

It's just my opinion that , most of the time, the living hell is created when a shell game exists of moving blame and fault around, and no source of trouble can be identified.

beentheredonethat

I just reread my post again.
There were two paragraphs/questions. On the first answer I start that ups needs to improve. On the second answer I started off with I wish we were perfect 100% of time for 100% of pkgs. To me that's not starting off blaming the customer. I also listed that for my (current) customers damages aren't an issue.

I have had customers who expressed concerns on pkg quality. But these customers that I have dealt with also reuse boxes that aren't in great shape. They do it to save money. We (ups) have even paid to send their pkgs to our own pkg test labs to demonstrate the durability of their packaging in a small pkg environment. The customers who did complain the most used the cheapest packaging materials.

So in some cases the customers hurts their own items by using substandard packaging.

To be clear I want ups to do better.

Also let's be clear, the question was how can we sell ups services knowing we aren't perfect (ESP as it relates to pkg care). I answered that question. I followed that with along the same line, if that's how you feel, how can ou justify working here also? Did not get any response from that yet?

I'll admit I don't know what happens in every ups facility. In fact I spend way more time at customer facilities then I do at ups facilities. I'm just relaying what I see from my customers which currently represent 300 Million in ups revenue. Also what I have seen from prior customers.