Question from UPS hopeful...

mach

I've been interested in beginning a career with UPS for quite some time. And as I've read here that it is very difficult to transfer from one center to another, my question is this: would I have a better chance at a driving job (I realize such a thing would be several years away; just wondering if things could be sped up a little) ultimately by staying where I am (only a medium-sized town), or by moving to a large city?

hungrydude5

Our center is smallish, which means only 45 drivers that work every day, 5 reg temps, 1 shuttle. So when someone retires, the whole lineup moves QUICK. You'll be loading trailers for 5 years straight, qualified as a reg temp though because they don't need you, then one day you'll get a call "hey, you're on shuttle" or "hey, you're going out with *whoever your on road sup is* to learn a few stops". You'll be surprised. Seniority rules at UPS. Getting a full time position will take some time. A lot of insiders bypass reg temp bids and when they gain 8+ years inside they'll sign for the full time bid.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I've been interested in beginning a career with UPS for quite some time. And as I've read here that it is very difficult to transfer from one center to another, my question is this: would I have a better chance at a driving job (I realize such a thing would be several years away; just wondering if things could be sped up a little) ultimately by staying where I am (only a medium-sized town), or by moving to a large city?

I would say yes. I used to work at the Portland building and the driving list there was maybe 6 years long, and as I heard as short as 4 years at one point. I transfered to Spokane and the waiting list was more along the lines of 8 years.

mach

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. The only bad part now is finding an additional job to support myself for the time being. What would be a good second job while part-timing with UPS?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Try to find yourself a job that pays you in cash, off the books or "under the table", and is willing to work around your UPS schedule. Lawn care, construction, or any of the service sector jobs would best fill the bill. I actually delivered car parts while I was a casual driver and stocked shelves at a grocery store while waiting to go FT.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
UPS 's larger centers & hubs go thru people at a very fast pace. Sure one might spend a couple of years as a p/t , but their is always the chance of being one of those hired directly to driving. I know of a couple of drivers who spend their weekends doing other jobs; furniture moving, landscaping, plumbers, home repair construction , bartending , software geeks, etc.
All of these jobs are paid in cash.

But also keep in mind that moving to a larger city , your living expenses can become too expensive

Last edited:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Exactly, and really that's my main hang-up; I'm not really sure how I'd support myself if I picked-up and moved.

I find that my living expenses are more tolerable inner city. I've lived outside of Spokane for the last 3 years and it was much cheaper when we lived within city lines.

Last edited:

Jigawatts

mach, I believe it isn't so much the size of your city/town, but the growth rate. Where I live it takes at least 10-12 years to become a driver. Put the same building in a community with rapid growth rate, and you're looking at half the time or better.

New Englander

Try to find yourself a job that pays you in cash, off the books or "under the table", and is willing to work around your UPS schedule. Lawn care, construction, or any of the service sector jobs would best fill the bill. I actually delivered car parts while I was a casual driver and stocked shelves at a grocery store while waiting to go FT.

Painting works well.

New Englander

mach, I believe it isn't so much the size of your city/town, but the growth rate. Where I live it takes at least 10-12 years to become a driver. Put the same building in a community with rapid growth rate, and you're looking at half the time or better.

Not always growth either. Driver age/tenure is as much bigger factor.