Question: Is now a good time to buy a FedEx Ground Route?

bbsam

Staff member
Ok bbsam you are looking for some input so lets talk about the guys in California. Yes they still work for a contractor but the judge did rule that they are indeed employees correct. Once Fed Ex Express is done and on there way to a union vote look for the teamsters to start a building by building campaign. They will start in the states where the drivers are employees. So if you indeed do own lets say 7 routes how many of those routes do you drive by yourself chances are you have hired 6 drivers. 6 drivers will vote yes because they want benefits, vacatoin pay, holiday pay, hourly pay and overtime well right there your outvoted 6 to 1 chances are it will fall on the contractors at first and when you cant do it Fed Ex will have to step in buy you out probally for cost and bye bye contractor model. Now that California Drivers are classified employees I am sure it is just a matter of time. The Teamsters will come strong after express gets their right to vote. I am pretty sure every contractor has more employees working for them especially when you own multiple routes. The contractors will get out voted employees will win and happily go union to start earning that FAIR DAYS PAY FOR A FAIR DAYS WORK something that many contractors are unwilling to provide. This may be why there are already union members in th ground parking lots handing out their flyers.. We shall see
I think you continue to miss the point. Probably because you want to. I will not try to convince you otherwise. Ricochet addressed this earlier.

Dads 99

Banned
I cant wait for the Teamster comine and start fixing this mess of a company.When I come back to my station at night there is no manager present.NONE!

We have a lead that runs the show and basically everyone does whatever they want.Its like a party at night.

bbsam

Staff member
I cant wait for the Teamster comine and start fixing this mess of a company.When I come back to my station at night there is no manager present.NONE!

We have a lead that runs the show and basically everyone does whatever they want.Its like a party at night.
Welcome to the party Dads 99. If you start poking around other threads here, you might find the union a little lacking in the fixing category-- except in the needs fixing.

FedExer267

Ask any Ups driver it is almost impossible to get fired when the union has your back if you get fired for a lame reason the union has your back. I have seen guys get fired back in the day at Ups they got their jobs back a week later with the pay they missed while out. Thats job security

FedEX 4 Life

Ask any Ups driver it is almost impossible to get fired when the union has your back if you get fired for a lame reason the union has your back. I have seen guys get fired back in the day at Ups they got their jobs back a week later with the pay they missed while out. Thats job security
You are correct in that matter.Ever person that Ive ever known to get fired at UPS ended getting his job back thanks to the union.We dont have that at Fedex.Once we get fired,its pretty much for good.

bbsam

Staff member
Even if they deserved to get fired? That's not job security. That's stupid.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The union provides you with something that you guys fail to mention, the nerve to stand up for what you know to be right. Unions will never solve every problem, but knowing that the union provides a platform for you be treated fairly, in its self will raise morale. Ive been at UPS for many years and have seen many things that are both good and bad, but at the end of the day 30 dollars an hour will not only make the hard work required worth doing, but make it much easier to put up with the day to day B.S.. Ask yourself if the job that you are expected to do is woeth the compensation you get, if it is then you have no concerns but if the answer is no, then stand up and fight for something more. Also one last point, UPS invited the union down to organize its employees, too bad that Fed-Ex lacks both the courage and the integrity to even provide its employees the abillity to organize succesfully.

tracker2762

Even if they deserved to get fired? That's not job security. That's stupid.
That doesn't mean that a driver can do what ever he feels like. It also doesn't mean he should be fired for minor infractions. We are watched like hawks and every thing we do shows up on some report and I mean everything. Every second of our day is analyzed. For most drivers their HABITS have been so etched in there routine that it's second nature. Others need a little help but in no means should result in termination.

bbsam

Staff member
That doesn't mean that a driver can do what ever he feels like. It also doesn't mean he should be fired for minor infractions. We are watched like hawks and every thing we do shows up on some report and I mean everything. Every second of our day is analyzed. For most drivers their HABITS have been so etched in there routine that it's second nature. Others need a little help but in no means should result in termination.
Are you suggesting that the union does not protect the jobs of people legitimately fired? I am aware that UPS has some ridiculous policies, but that is why you get paid the "big" money, isn't it?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Are you suggesting that the union does not protect the jobs of people legitimately fired? I am aware that UPS has some ridiculous policies, but that is why you get paid the "big" money, isn't it?

I'm sure that the unions do occasionally protect people who should probably be fired, but it's the exception, not the rule. At FedEx is the exact opposite, where many people who should NOT have been fired have lost their jobs or been forced to resign. That's one of the major reasons why we do need to go Teamster.

Consider the FedEx "policy" on unemployment benefits, which is to NOT pay them. That's why employees are almost always given the option to "resign" under duress, negating their ability to collect unemployment. FedEx is completely crooked, and you have the gall to imply that a union would create some sort of illegitimate security capsule for employees. There needs to be a mechanism in place to check the unbridled power of little Napoleans like Fred....it's called the Teamsters.

Dads 99

Banned
GO TEAMSTERS!!

Its not a matter of if anymore.Its a matter of when.Going union can only mean good for Fedex,especially management,as they are the ones who get fired for the drop of a hat.

rocket man

I think you should buy both routes. IN a couple of months when you want to go on vactaion OH you cant because you have pay fedx to go. or better yet let us know how much the 4 tires you replaced cost. and the 3 oil changes possibly a water pump and the days your trucks wich we call cars were down how much were the replacements were.? and dont forget the cords on back door that broke. a taillite a bulk head door handle . dam transmission 2and gear went out again. your driver you hired wants a day off or better yet a vacation.some nerve. what do you mean he wants lunch every day. the card board factory you know the big account moved 20 miles out of your area but they still use fed x and your diver still needs a day off. BUY BOTH ROUTES NOW........:whiteflag::sick::angry::greedy: