Question: Loading for a Cover Driver

laffter

If you are loading at warp speed and you enter a truck with 80 pkgs. on your left and 100 pks. on your right, how will you know where to place the three you are carrying, given there are no reference points.

Almost 3 years of the doing the same thing five days a week has trained my brain to remember the sequence number of almost every single package I place on a shelf. When I walk into the truck with a stack of packages, I don't even have to look for a place to put it (most of the time). I already know where it's going to go and where I have room for it. I feel like it takes a while for someone to get to this point, so until they do... you'd be right in saying that sequence numbers do help the loader.

By The Book

Came in today, driver bitched again about the load yesterday. They really shouldn't have told me that before the shift started... :devil3:

Easiest day I've ever had today. OHIO'd every single package, no crayon, no PALs.

At this point, I don't even care if I hear about a misload. "I'm doing the best I can" became my default response to everything this morning, and I think it's gonna be my new go-to phrase whenever I'm on the clock.

They want us to bust our ass and then grin and bear it as they talk :censored2:? I'll let 'em talk :censored2:, but I'm not gonna be breaking a sweat at work anymore.
Was it a cover driver with a problem? If he is bitchy before driver start time let your belt sup know you don't appreciate it. Now if you are custom loading like you do for your regular driver, stop doing that. Load it by pal to the best of your ability. Don't give up on who you are as a person for a negative person.

Z

ZQXC

Almost 3 years of the doing the same thing five days a week has trained my brain to remember the sequence number of almost every single package I place on a shelf. When I walk into the truck with a stack of packages, I don't even have to look for a place to put it (most of the time). I already know where it's going to go and where I have room for it. I feel like it takes a while for someone to get to this point, so until they do... you'd be right in saying that sequence numbers do help the loader.

When you do it for 9 more years (my part time years), your skill set will be amazing.

laffter

When you do it for 9 more years (my part time years), your skill set will be amazing.

It doesn't take one another nine years to figure that out. When certain businesses get the same stuff every week, you pretty much know which route a package goes on just by the markings/logo on the box. But yes, I'm sire one's abilities will only improve with time. Although, with how quickly I fly in and out of my trucks sometimes, I don't really even know what I can improve on.

J

jibbs

Only Handle It Once.

No reorganizing the truck. Let the smile* fall where it may.

Was it a cover driver with a problem? If he is bitchy before driver start time let your belt sup know you don't appreciate it. Now if you are custom loading like you do for your regular driver, stop doing that. Load it by pal to the best of your ability. Don't give up on who you are as a person for a negative person.

This morning? It was through the grapevine. Cover driver bitched after he went out yesterday, supervisor told me about it first thing this morning.

I was loaded up so quick today I didn't see a single driver on the belt. Shoved in irregs and surepost bags and peaced the friend* out.

wayfair

swollen member
I don't blame the preloader any more, just the dispatcher. Out of 130+ stops, I've got over 50 stops in section 8 today

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Only Handle It Once.

No reorganizing the truck. Let the smile* fall where it may.

This morning? It was through the grapevine. Cover driver bitched after he went out yesterday, supervisor told me about it first thing this morning.

I was loaded up so quick today I didn't see a single driver on the belt. Shoved in irregs and surepost bags and peaced the friend* out.
I've heard of don't double touch packages..never heard of OHIO'd..lol

oldngray

nowhere special
correctlift.jpg

J

jibbs

A few supes at my center like to say OHIO, i just threw the apostrophe-'d' on at the end to give a little past tense feel to it.

Fedex Guy

Load it by the PAL in order as much as you can and keep the same PALs together. Writing the PAL on the box is preferred but not every loader is skilled enough to do this. This way the driver can easily find the pkgs and also doesn't have to waste time sorting the entire truck because really that's the job of the preloader.
Seriously?

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Writing the PAL on the side of the package is a waste of time.

Pulling the PAL labels and placing them on the side of the package is a waste of time.

Get them on the right shelf and fairly close to where they are supposed to be.

Let us know when you have to move a stop to the floor.
Its helpful for some loaders though to keep track of the sequence on the shelf by making the number visible to them, so if it helps get a few more where they're supposed to be I'm all for it...but it doesn't do much for me personally

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Too bad the cover driver hasn't learnedly one of the cardinal rules of being a driver and that is TAKE CARE OF YOUR LOADER! I have found that the difference between a good load and a bad load is about ten minutes. If I have a problem with the load I tell the loader. If you tick off your loader they can make your life a living hell. Treat them with respect and consideration they will try to do a good job.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Too bad the cover driver hasn't learnedly one of the cardinal rules of being a driver and that is TAKE CARE OF YOUR LOADER! I have found that the difference between a good load and a bad load is about ten minutes. If I have a problem with the load I tell the loader. If you tick off your loader they can make your life a living hell. Treat them with respect and consideration they will try to do a good job.
I yell at mine when he does a s$)&@ job, unless he is in a really bad mood then I just let it go...
But I give him $150 at Christmas and randomly bring him mc d's breakfast. I hate having a long day then running 2 misloads. Happened twice last week. He laughed and said he caries them in in pairs.....no mcdonalds that week. Lol.

AKCoverMan

As long as all the boxes are in the right section I'm fine.

Disagree. A box paled say 2108 better be near the beginning of shelf 2 not back mixed in with the 2900s.

Not worried if every box is in exact numerical order but ought to be close so I don't have to spend too much time looking. As I do look I put them in exact order so package selection time gets better all day even if I am running (gasp) not in trace.

Fedex Guy

Disagree. A box paled say 2108 better be near the beginning of shelf 2 not back mixed in with the 2900s.

Not worried if every box is in exact numerical order but ought to be close so I don't have to spend too much time looking. As I do look I put them in exact order so package selection time gets better all day even if I am running (gasp) not in trace.

Yeah, I see your point. Doesn't really bother me tho.