question:no healthcare for 1st year, how will we get loaders

LKLND3380

A part time job has always been a position for young people in school or just entering a company. At that age, many have little need for medical care; I remember I rarely used it. UPS is one of the few companies in America that offers the kind of benefits to part time employees that allow them even to retire. I admit that the low starting salary is failing to attract quality applicants, but the huge costs of benefits for employees forces the company to find cost savings somewhere.

Most 18 to 25 year olds don't care about health care, pension or 401k... They care about Myspace, Wii and Halo 3... A job starting at $8.50 an hour isn't very attractive...

Braveheart

This is about the only thing that ups can dangle in front of new hires to get them to start. Spin it anyway you want, how will ups find new people to load for 8.50 an hour with no healthcare. Ups spends big money in training and turnover...even for edd centers. Ups has one of the highest turnover rates for part-time employees, I have seen numbers on line as high as 400%. Even with the healthcare issues, there are still many places that gives their employees "decent" healthcare. If you want to point a finger at anyone on the healthcare issue, thank walmart, and smokers, anong other problems.
Thank all the for profit insurance companies and all the so-called not for profit hospitals!!

Braveheart

True, some only want the money. So explain to me how a pathetic .50 cent bump at 90 days which is only an extra $400 for the remainder of the year is a fair trade off from the very very expensive but necessary health care premiums. The premiums are more than $400 per month so it sure seems that the part timers get the shaft again!!!!!

1timepu

This is about the only thing that ups can dangle in front of new hires to get them to start. Spin it anyway you want, how will ups find new people to load for 8.50 an hour with no healthcare. Ups spends big money in training and turnover...even for edd centers. Ups has one of the highest turnover rates for part-time employees, I have seen numbers on line as high as 400%. Even with the healthcare issues, there are still many places that gives their employees "decent" healthcare. If you want to point a finger at anyone on the healthcare issue, thank walmart, and smokers, anong other problems.

Let the company worry about where they are going to get the workers, it is not our problem staffing! And I cant worry about somebody who HASNT worked for the comapny YET!

Cezanne

Another good question is whether these new hires will be able to purchase health coverage when they start and how much would it cost them?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
The premiums are more than $400 per month so it sure seems that the part timers get the shaft again!!!!!

This would be accurate if you were talking about COBRA. I've found an Emergency, etc plan for about $85/month. The deductible is $1,100. Careful about your posts on this subject. Some of us are a little better informed....-Rocky

This would be accurate if you were talking about COBRA. I've found an Emergency, etc plan for about $85/month. The deductible is $1,100. Careful about your posts on this subject. Some of us are a little better informed....-Rocky

rocky my currect health care plan provided by ups of paying jack and **** everytime i go to the doctor and dentist can hardly be compared to the worthless plan you keep mentioning