Question on calling/texting in?

Asinine

I've been with UPS for about a month and a half, and I was wondering how bad it would look if I call in today. I've never called in so far, and never been late except for a day that I could not control. I woke up as sore as ever and on top of that, a pretty bad head cold. Everytime I stand up, it gets hard to, and I get a little bit nauseated I suppose. As a new hire, I know I don't have any days to take off, but this seems like it could possibly turn into something worse and be less productive if I get in there loading and sweating, because with it being Monday, the flow is going to be heavy.

washington57

take some dayquil and an ibuprofen and go in. you will probably start to feel fine once you get moving around.

edit: i would get used to feeling like that for a few more weeks maybe a couple months.

Asinine

Well I took some Theraflu stuff, I'll try Ibuprofen, and of course trying to keep my water levels up. And actually soreness hasn't really been so bad until today. Every time before this it was just pain, and the weekends usually took care of it.

Asinine

I am, but he contributed nothing to the post except a bad and stern attitude right off the bat. I don't need that in here.

av8torntn

I am, but he contributed nothing to the post except a bad and stern attitude right off the bat. I don't need that in here.

You asked what you should do correct? I also think you should just go to work.

I think(I am not in management) that it would look bad to call in sick after you've already been late to work in such a short time with the company.

Bristol Brown

If you genuinely feel unwell and do not think you can work then call in,your sup or manager will spin you a load of bull about how busy it is and that they desperately need you in thats what they are trained to do as a guy calling in sick goes against their figures.

You manager or sup will not think twice about disciplining you if you have an accident even if you came in when feeling unwell as officially they will say you shouldn`t have come in if you were not feeling 100%.

Call in and when they start their BS about needing you in politely say I am not negotiating with you this is a courtesy call to say that I will not be in today as I am unwell.

Take no notice of the idiots telling you to take a pill and you will feel well enough to work.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Its a 3 hr stint. You can do it, if not, call in. That is how they sort you all out. 3 hrs is a walk in the park, get paid to puke and be sore.
Sorry but that is my humble opinion.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've been with UPS for about a month and a half, and I was wondering how bad it would look if I call in today. I've never called in so far, and never been late except for a day that I could not control. I woke up as sore as ever and on top of that, a pretty bad head cold. Everytime I stand up, it gets hard to, and I get a little bit nauseated I suppose. As a new hire, I know I don't have any days to take off, but this seems like it could possibly turn into something worse and be less productive if I get in there loading and sweating, because with it being Monday, the flow is going to be heavy.

What do you want - a medal? Good God-- its only for 3 hours. The world will eat you alive if you expect everyone to feel sorry for you every time you get the sniffels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asinine

Thanks Bristol. Depending on how I'm feeling when I wake up tomorrow, I may.

@ Everyone else. Actually I have done 5 hour days since I got through training, and did a 6 in and half hour today. Quit shooting your mouths off without making sure you have information straight. Yeah, I'm still doing part time blah blah blah, not that bad, blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is I am overall less productive if I can't be focused as much as I usually would be, and if I'm not, of course my Sup may say something. It's more than "sniffles".

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Not picking on you just telling you how they look at it. We get no sick days you may. You gotta be real real sick to call off. They expect you to work when most wouldnt. Thats what separates us from the rest of the work force. Not saying its right, just the way it is. It is one thing to have seniority and go on sick leave, with a doc note, if you are not in yet, you most likely wont get in, if you call off, docs note or not!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

@ Everyone else. Actually I have done 5 hour days since I got through training, and did a 6 in and half hour today. Quit shooting your mouths off without making sure you have information straight. Yeah, I'm still doing part time blah blah blah, not that bad, blah blah blah. The fact of the matter is I am overall less productive if I can't be focused as much as I usually would be, and if I'm not, of course my Sup may say something. It's more than "sniffles".

Suck it up and go to work.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Go in, just have a DR bag and a Tote Box near by in case of emergency.

CustomerConcern

It doesn't matter if you were the star employee they always wanted, perfect in every way....the minute you call in you are just a pile of crap like everyone else. Call in dont call in....do what you think you gotta do to survive. And yes, all true UPSers will mock you when you return to work wuss. :laughing:

rod

Retired 22 years
What do you want - a medal? Good God-- its only for 3 hours. The world will eat you alive if you expect everyone to feel sorry for you every time you get the sniffels.

Dang DS------you censored the best part and left the stuff that makes it sound like I'm a heartless tyrant. Me thinks you are letting the "moderator" job go to your head.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think you guys are forgetting what a part time job at UPS has become over the past few decades.
The job isn't what it was when we were coming up.
It's really not a very good oportunity anymore.
The pay sucks and benefits don't kick in for a year, 18 months for dependants.
There has been 1 driver hired in my building in the last 4 years and that was only because they got burned on a grievance.
Here they can't keep part timers, so I would doubt that 1 absence would stop anybody from gaining seniority.
They actually have a part time supervisor who's title has the word "retention" in it.
So if your sick and want to stay home OP, go for it.
I'm willing to bet anybody here, provided we are getting accurate facts, that nothing aside from verbal harrassment will happen to him.