Question on health insurance premiums

I wanted to know how the weekly premiums work on our checks. Like when we pay this weeks premium, how far out does that give us coverage? Hypothetically, if i resigned yesterday how long would i have coverage? Any insight would be great! Thank you!

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
You typically have coverage through the end of the month terminated. You remain active as an employee until someone actually enters your temination into GEMS. If they forget or delay entering the termination, (which often happens) your benefits remain active through the end of the month when the termination is entered. You can call 800 UPS 1508 to confirm your coverage.

Fracus, thank you for the info! So even if you make 1 payment for the first week of the month, you will be covered through the end of the month??? I'm a p/t supervisor and not hourly. Steward, be glad you won't ever have to worry about premiums.....

moreluck

golden ticket member
What's the full story about 15,000 spuses not covered by UPS med. ins ???
I only heard bits and pieces on the news and I know there are 300,000 employees at UPS (or thereabouts). Who are the 15,000 spouses they are referring to?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
What's the full story about 15,000 spuses not covered by UPS med. ins ???
I only heard bits and pieces on the news and I know there are 300,000 employees at UPS (or thereabouts). Who are the 15,000 spouses they are referring to?

UPS recently decided to force FT/PT supervision into booting their spouse off of their insurance if they (the spouse) have health care offered through their job. This was in conjunction with the $150/month increase in premiums to tobacco users.

cynic

UPS recently decided to force FT/PT supervision into booting their spouse off of their insurance if they (the spouse) have health care offered through their job. This was in conjunction with the $150/month increase in premiums to tobacco users.

What an incentive to fall into the PT sup trap, eh? I'm hoping they are NOT charging for dependent children?

All the new PT sup's at our hub are single 19 to 21 year olds, seasoned leaders...

moreluck

golden ticket member
Found something on it.....thanks, Piedmont (it's just like you said).
Via Atlanta Business Chronicle:

United Parcel Service Inc. plans to remove thousands of spouses from its medical plan because they are eligible for coverage elsewhere. The Atlanta-based logistics company points to the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, as a big reason for the decision, reports Kaiser Health News.

The decision comes as many analysts are downplaying the Affordable Care Act’s effect on companies such as UPS, noting that the move reflects a long-term trend of shrinking corporate medical benefits, Kaiser Health News reports. But UPS repeatedly cites Obamacare to explain the decision, adding fuel to the debate over whether it erodes traditional employer coverage, Kaiser says.

Rising medical costs, “combined with the costs associated with the Affordable Care Act, have made it increasingly difficult to continue providing the same level of health care benefits to our employees at an affordable cost,” UPS said in a memo to employees.

According to Kaiser, UPS told white-collar workers two months ago that 15,000 working spouses eligible for coverage by their own employers would be excluded from the UPS plan in 2014.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
There's actually a staffing shortage in supervision in my area -- not just in my hub, but in the hub and nearby package centers. They're literally hiring 19 year old kids off the street to be supervisors; we have a couple of babies that have been stashed in the training department until their "packages" drop and they get some bass in their voice. The new hires are the only people they can sucker into turning in a letter to go into management.

BLACKBALLED

Fracus, thank you for the info! So even if you make 1 payment for the first week of the month, you will be covered through the end of the month??? I'm a p/t supervisor and not hourly. Steward, be glad you won't ever have to worry about premiums.....
To answer your actual question, you have the option to keep your current coverage through COBRA for up to 18 months, of course you will pay the premiums, they will be the same premiums you are paying right now, you only have I believe 30 days to do this, you will need to call benefits on the 1-800-UPS-1508 number and they will explain everything to you. Dont delay or you will not be able to keep it, they should send you something in the mail but dont wait for that to happen call that number I gave.