Question on seniority, breaks, Sups working and the 3.5 guaranteed hours.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You have to ask for your guarantee. Just tell the sup you know your rights and are not working your break. If he tells you to do it. Get a Steward.

J

jibbs

The whole break thing varies by state, to a degree. Most states legally require these amazing breaks you guys talk about-- several don't.

Maryland is one of the states that doesn't legally require employees to be given a rest break.

This makes me think, though, if it's written in the contract, then UPS has to abide by it, right? Just because rest breaks aren't a written state law doesn't relieve the company of certain contractual obligations, does it?

Maybe I can make a big deal out of this and get official breaks at my center...

p8.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Supplements supersede the master so any language regarding how breaks operate in individual states which may differ from that in the national would be found there.

EmraldArcher

My state does not require breaks regardless of hours worked (yay for 9 hour pre-load shifts with one 10 minute break during peak) but the supplement requires we get one ten minute break to be given between the first and third hour.

We work through break fairly frequently. Again, what's the penalty for the company if they make you work through break? Nothing.

UPSGUY72

If they tell you to go home before your get 3.5 hrs and you agree your not guaranteed 3.5 hrs. If they tell you to go home before your 3.5 hrs and you tell them your want your guaranteed 3.5 than you should get your 3.5. hrs of pay. Just tell them you want your guarantee and be nice about it as there is always someone that would like to go home early...

If your a prick about and your the lowest person on the seniority list they could lay you off. Not saying it right but I have seen it happen...

If SUPs are doing union work then file a grievance every time you see them doing it. In the building I started at one feeder driver would file every time he got back to the building in the morning and he saw a SUP working so much that when he got to the building in the morning the word went out that he was there....

Jersey Strong

Jersey Package Handler
You are GUARANTEED 3.5 hours of work a day - meaning they have to pay you for your guaranteed 3.5 hours, even if they only use you for an hour and send you home - unless of course you accept time off available (which is without pay).

No member of management (PT sup, on car sup, dispatcher, center manager, etc.) or any non-union employee should touch a package - whether it be breaking a jam, taping boxes, loading cars, splitting the belt, pulling boxes from the belt, etc. Their job is strictly to supervise. If they are having to work, then they need to hire more employees.

As for them sending you home and then doing the work themselves, well I would file a grievance on this and ask for back pay for the hours they worked and you were sent home. Find one or two people who can verify that the sup was working that day and have them sign a statement to attach to your grievance.

-I'm a new part timer I've made it past my 30 day marker.
-I only get about 3 hours a day or 15 hours a week due to my super telling me are specific dept is done for the day go home, seems I'm being shorted 2.5 hours a week.... hmmm :(
-I know of 5-6 if not more like 7-8 supers that constantly daily sort, empty recycle cart to belts, help load trailers or scan packages. basically touch packages all the time.
-How do grievances work....
-Can I be demoted/fired/reassigned or mistreated for filing grievances?
-I can tell were under staffed.
-I was hired to do one thing and I do:
~ODC line duties, sort the odc line, load pallets for ground, scan package put to correct belts, scan packages make up bags , do recyclings for different dept, load trailers, move pallets around our large hub, load air recovery pods, bring packages to clerk, sort at pick off.

I joke with my wife and a few co-workers I say I should wear a nice dress and red lip stick to work, that way I'll sure look pretty while I'm getting :censored2:ed.
A few times when one my supers asked me to work as designated in a different dept for a few minutes while I was slammed in my dept... I quietly responded next time use the lube it's starting to hurt.....lol the super said "What...?" I responded I'll get on that work right away, hehehee..

working up a sweat

Upstate is correct about Supplements superseding the master. I work in an air hub without 17.5 gaurentee work hours. Many people here try to call me out as BS when I say I work only 10 hours a week. I have worked as few as 48 minutes and was sent home. We are gaurenteed 3.5 hours credit for health and pension every time we punch the clock here. Our hub PTers are career UPS PTers and work for the bennies and pension. Turnover here is so low, maybe 2 people on night sort a year who are vested quit the job. The paycheck I get is 30% of my labor the other 70% deferred is invested into the health benifits and pension payout. Here the pension is over 100 dollars a month per year worked. Tell me, where else could I get a PT job like that. I call that sweat equity.

The Range

In too deep
If your hub is anything like mine, every supervisor works nearly all shift. This includes loading, sorting and being a perma jam breaker. If you file and persist through the five stages of their grief: denial > anger > bargaining > depression > acceptance, you will get paid more in grievance money than hours worked. During the bargaining stage you can also land a laid back pick off position as a bribe to stop the hurt.

floyd.gif

If your hub is anything like mine, every supervisor works nearly all shift. This includes loading, sorting and being a perma jam breaker. If you file and persist through the five stages of their grief: denial > anger > bargaining > depression > acceptance, you will get paid more in grievance money than hours worked. During the bargaining stage you can also land a laid back pick off position as a bribe to stop the hurt.

floyd.gif
Would this be considered a PT career. I know it would be in my building. You could get a Union job of "Watcher". Sit back and watch the PT sup do your work while you get paid. Used to be PT sups watched Union hourlies work.