Question regarding SPH

Nolimitz

The counter is a regular pickup though so the time is when you open it.

I usually load everything into the truck before I even start scanning it but that's partly because I usually get there 15 minutes before their ready time.
Yes counter is a REG, BUT if you go into exceptions and select "rec fr FXO" it is treated as a DB stop.

l22

The stops you ADD yourself do not get calculated into your SPH. If you care about your SPH, then message dispatch for a walkup(and wait and wait and wait unless you have a good dispatcher) if your don't care about your numbers, ADD your own stop and keep on cruising.

I thought they do. Don't they make gap reports better?

Schweddy

Balls
Most days I only have 23 or 24 regular PUPs, plus 3 or 4 oncalls. Somedays, they will also give me a missorted package to deliver as well. Traffic is pretty thick in my area, which is why my SPH count is rather low, only 8.9 per hour...

Any updates? I'm quoting this because in your first post you said it took you 4.5-5 hours to complete. 4.5 hours with 25 stops would only be 5.5 sph. How close are you to 9 sph? 30 stops would be 6.6 sph. 9sph for you would be like 3.33 hours.

From what I recall in a conversation from a year ago, the on-road performance formulas are built for day routes, not pup routes. I wish I knew the formula(s) for mileage and speed and how they calculate the expected/allotted on-road time. It's easy to figure out what sph you've run but I have no idea how they take the same info and come up with an expected #. The gap report page shows an even more complex setup with plan/calc/actual times and variables.

I'm also revisiting this to ask if anyone knows the formula in the ORP sheet? For SnG's

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
From what I recall in a conversation from a year ago, the on-road performance formulas are built for day routes, not pup routes. I wish I knew the formula(s) for mileage and speed and how they calculate the expected/allotted on-road time. It's easy to figure out what sph you've run but I have no idea how they take the same info and come up with an expected #. The gap report page shows an even more complex setup with plan/calc/actual times and variables.

Pup routes are figured the same way as delivery routes.

There is no formula that determines what your goal is. Goals are determined by demonstrated performance to one degree or another -- some moreso than others.

Schweddy

Balls
Pup routes are figured the same way as delivery routes. Thanks for confirming what I was told ;)

There is no formula that determines what your goal is. Goals are determined by demonstrated performance to one degree or another -- some moreso than others.

Yes there is Dano. Both the Gap page and the ORP page have them. Specifically, ORP-wise, there may or may not be official formulas in that excel? sheet.. but there are "formulas" of some sort that figure up the expected stops per hour. Just like figuring out hours(x60)/stops = minutes/per stop (mps); mps/60 = sph. The expected sph works the same way with some small variations from mileage. pups don't mean crap (which makes no sense imo).. you could pick up 30 packages or 150 and it won't change sph. More miles supposedly equals "more time" but I feel like it's very minor. So.. manager, what's the formula? Just click on some of the cells on the right and tell me what they say at the top :P

HedleyLamarr

Any updates? I'm quoting this because in your first post you said it took you 4.5-5 hours to complete. 4.5 hours with 25 stops would only be 5.5 sph. How close are you to 9 sph? 30 stops would be 6.6 sph. 9sph for you would be like 3.33 hours.

I'm also revisiting this to ask if anyone knows the formula in the ORP sheet? For SnG's

The 4.5-5 hours did not include a break which I still have to take most days. Also, my sph goal is 7.8, so it is actually closer to 8 than 9. My average night is probably around 30 stops total.

Something I was told by my manager as he was reviewing my gap report with me is that the amount of time it takes to get to your first stop and the time it takes to get back to the station after your last stop are figured into your final score for the night. An issue that was hurting my score was that most nights, my final stop is a FedEx Office. I would grab the box first, then scan everything behind the counter last. It was showing on my gap report that it takes me 40 minutes to get back to the station from my last stop when it should only take 20. He let me know that I need to save the box for last and get everything behind the counter first.

It has been frustrating at times. There are nights where I felt I did well only to see a 92 score the next day and vice versa. Last night, I had a delivery in an apartment complex which I was completely unfamiliar with. Took me a while to find the building as the numbers were hard to find. But tonight when I checked the scores from yesterday, it showed 110 for me. Go figure.

Schweddy

Balls
Yeah, that includes the total time. I was not taking out your break though, so good call. So with a 45 minute break, 3.75 hours (225 min), 30 stops = 7.5 mps; 60/7.5 = 8sph.

yeah, there's on road and on area. I think on road is total and on area is from first scan to last scan.

I found some posts a few weeks ago on here about 95% being the real goal, but 100% is what they push for. I forget what I was looking for that led to that. I've also been told that it's mainly 100% average for the week. So one low day isn't as big of a deal. Do you keep your ORP sheets, especially the good ones? Did you drive more on those days? Incremental miles I believe are what add time but idk enough.

59 Dano

Yes there is Dano. Both the Gap page and the ORP page have them. Specifically, ORP-wise, there may or may not be official formulas in that excel? sheet.. but there are "formulas" of some sort that figure up the expected stops per hour. Just like figuring out hours(x60)/stops = minutes/per stop (mps); mps/60 = sph. The expected sph works the same way with some small variations from mileage. pups don't mean crap (which makes no sense imo).. you could pick up 30 packages or 150 and it won't change sph. More miles supposedly equals "more time" but I feel like it's very minor. So.. manager, what's the formula? Just click on some of the cells on the right and tell me what they say at the top :P

Here ya go.

We've installed 3 new routes so far this year. The SPH goal was calculated by looking at the previous 2 weeks of work before they were officially put into the system. The average SPH during those 2 weeks became the goals for those routes.

Whether you like it or not PUPs count just like deliveries.

There can be minor daily variations, but the SPH goal is whatever the manager, senior manager, engineer, or OSS says it is. In these parts, they are (usually) based on demonstrated performance and the managers may adjust them as needed.

59 Dano

I found some posts a few weeks ago on here about 95% being the real goal, but 100% is what they push for.

95% is the goal for swings.

I've also been told that it's mainly 100% average for the week. So one low day isn't as big of a deal. Do you keep your ORP sheets, especially the good ones? Did you drive more on those days? Incremental miles I believe are what add time but idk enough.

100% for the month is the expected performance.

Schweddy

Balls
Interesting.. my goals change everyday.. if I run 9 stops an hour, it's close to 9.. if I run 8, it's close to 8. And it changes whether it's drastic or not.

thanks for the 95-100 info

59 Dano

Something I was told by my manager as he was reviewing my gap report with me is that the amount of time it takes to get to your first stop and the time it takes to get back to the station after your last stop are figured into your final score for the night. An issue that was hurting my score was that most nights, my final stop is a FedEx Office. I would grab the box first, then scan everything behind the counter last. It was showing on my gap report that it takes me 40 minutes to get back to the station from my last stop when it should only take 20. He let me know that I need to save the box for last and get everything behind the counter first.

Ah, he did you well. You have 2 stem times; from station to 1st stop and from last stop back to station. The way you were doing it was jacking up your stem time.

It has been frustrating at times. There are nights where I felt I did well only to see a 92 score the next day and vice versa. Last night, I had a delivery in an apartment complex which I was completely unfamiliar with. Took me a while to find the building as the numbers were hard to find. But tonight when I checked the scores from yesterday, it showed 110 for me. Go figure.

Your route is probably like most others. Different parts of your shift may have different SPH goals. For example, from 1431 to 1600, it's 8 SPH. From 1601 to 1730, it's 10.2 SPH. From 1731 onward, it's back down to 8 SPH. The more stops you make during the easier time segments, the more it boosts your productivity for the night. It may not be a big factor but it helps if you want to improve your score.

59 Dano

Interesting.. my goals change everyday.. if I run 9 stops an hour, it's close to 9.. if I run 8, it's close to 8. And it changes whether it's drastic or not.

thanks for the 95-100 info

Each route has a specific goal for that day. Your manager may give you the same goal for all five days, but in the system an entry has to be made for what the goal is to be for each of those five days. Some routes consistently have more (or fewer) stops on certain days (and in certain time segments) and this allows SPH goals to reflect those variances.