Question that needs answering.

MJoGo14

so I work at a smaller hub, Fargo ND. I work on our air recovery and load a plane every night. We transfer packages from the hub to a jet center, and load a contracted plane.
Anyways my question is this, every night before we head out to the airport we fill out a manifest and then sign it. Here's my question, is the hourly employee responsible for filling out, and most importantly signing it? I feel as if the responsibility of the manifest shouldn't fall under an hourly employee, especially when a signature is involved.

I would like to know if this is managements responsibility.

MJoGo14

I asked my immediate supervisor, he didn't even know we had a manifest...he's only been with ups for 4 months. I think management is responsible for signing the manifest that's given to the pilot, I just can't comfirm it.

MJoGo14

The manifest has the total weight, # of packages, any hazardous packages that are being loaded, the type of aircraft that is carrying the packages. It's for the pilot and I'm unsure what he does with it.

MJoGo14

The thing is if something were to be wrong, they'll look at the signature and see whomever the hourly employee is, and I have no doubt it'll not turn out well for him/her.

I believe it should be managements responsibility to sign off on something so important.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The manifest has the total weight, # of packages, any hazardous packages that are being loaded, the type of aircraft that is carrying the packages. It's for the pilot and I'm unsure what he does with it.

It's much the same reason pkg car drivers are required to carry hazmat papers in the cab until the hazmats are delivered.

UPSGUY72

The thing is if something were to be wrong, they'll look at the signature and see whomever the hourly employee is, and I have no doubt it'll not turn out well for him/her.

I believe it should be managements responsibility to sign off on something so important.

If management isn't loading the Plane or containers than they shouldn't be signing the manifest. The person / persons that are loading the plane or contain should sign the manifest as they know what was loaded.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hey Michael, it's a violation of the TOS (and not very smart) to use your real name as a screen name.

Just sayin'.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Out air recovery guys are specially trained to load cans. I never had the training but I did assist at the air station back in my day.

The loaders always signed the paper work.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy.gif

MJoGo14

Okay, thanks. I guess I just thought with something of that importance that a supervisor would sign off on it, instead of a single part time package handler who doesn't even load the plane.