question to all

LaUpser

ok i started in Nov. of 2006 during peak. then i came back 1/2/07 according to documents i seen that was my hire date so as far as senoirty(sp) goes how many years have i been at ups and how do I move up in the ranks to get closer to driver cover or fulltime?:smart:

barnyard

KTM rider
There's nothing you can do to speed the process. Show up everyday.

Your hire date/seniority date is your anniversary with UPS. You should be able to do the math.

TB

The time you worked in '06 was kind of like a dress rehearsal for the real thing. No seniority gained. Your '07 hire date becomes your seniority date once you work the required number of days to become a permanent employee, so you have 19 months roughly. When they post a bid sheet for cover or full time anyone wanting to move up signs the sheet. The person/s with the highest seniority win the position/s. The only way your position is improved is by people moving out of the line above you, either by going to another job classification or by leaving the company. Seniority sucks when you are on the bottom of the totem pole, but it's great when you are on the top.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

ok i started in Nov. of 2006 during peak. then i came back 1/2/07 according to documents i seen that was my hire date so as far as senoirty(sp) goes how many years have i been at ups and how do I move up in the ranks to get closer to driver cover or fulltime?:smart:
I started in Jan 2002 and went fulltime Aug 7 2006. That was more or less by accident as a bunch of people ahead of me were disqualified.

Every center or hub is different. Put your name on every bid on the job posting board in your workplace. Eventually you'll get your shot, and do not fret that there's people ahead of you with their names on the bid sheets. Yes, it may be a number of years, but there's no garauntee that the people ahead of you will qualify either. Put your name up and hope for the best.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Do like IDLWTM said.
Every center has " the usual suspects " , people with lots of time in, who always put their name on every bid sheet, but NEVER accept the new job.

helenofcalifornia

Ain't that the truth. I thought that was just our center. One of the "regular" signers of all bid sheets had a hard time convincing the center manager that he really did want one of the jobs he bid on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have one of those here, too. He is a part-timer who was hired in the early '80s who insisted each time a new bid run came up that he was going to go driving but each time he would "change his mind" and stay P/T. Actually, he makes well over $30K part time as the contract he was hired under has him close to if not over $20/hr. so he would be foolish at this point in his career to drive.

upsman519

upsman519
I'm in Knoxville TN. Been with UPS for 11 years next month and guess what i'm still part-time. I still have 1 to 2 years before i'm full-time :angry: lucky me.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

We have one of those here, too. He is a part-timer who was hired in the early '80s who insisted each time a new bid run came up that he was going to go driving but each time he would "change his mind" and stay P/T. Actually, he makes well over $30K part time as the contract he was hired under has him close to if not over $20/hr. so he would be foolish at this point in his career to drive.

If he was hired in the early 80s he probably makes more than 20/hr part time. I know of one 22 year part-timer ('85) up this way making over 22/hr.