Question to feeder drivers.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I'll keep it short and sweet. The tractor I've been driving for the past year has had a lot of issues. Which is expected sometimes, however I always have the same malfunction on the tractor. It will go to outside service to be "fixed", it will run for about 3 weeks then same thing. It literally shuts off while I'm going down the road, I lose power steering, harder to push the breaks and acceleration is gone as a result. The first two times it happened it didn't bother me, but it's the fifth time it's happened, and sooner or later I feel like it may happen while I'm in a dangerous situation. The mechanics keep saying they fix it and it keeps happening and I'm to the point now where I can't believe them. Can I refuse driving this tractor due to safety reasons even if the mechanic says it's road worthy? I have a family to think about and I don't want to get into an accident because of this. I hate complaining about equipment because I know things happen but it's actually starting to worry me.

Johney

Not yet, it messed up on me friday night so by saturday morning nobody was at at work. I was planning to when I came in later tonight. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought.
I wouldn't know for sure, I'm hope your steward may have an idea. I would document every indecent regarding this issue and maybe have a talk with the head of automotive in your area along with your steward. I couldn't image having that happen while getting off on an exit with a sharp turn that could be disastrous.

moldsporh

I don't think I have the correct answer for you, but working here for awhile I will try.

You said the brakes get hard, can you clarify since tractors have air brakes so the only thing I can think of is the fact the engine can't turn the compressor when off so you lose air pressure, eventually resulting in a brake lockup.

Is this a tractor? Or package car? Just clarifying since you mentioned that about the brakes.

Is this a ups vehicle?

Sounds like you have hydraulic brakes Sonim trying to figure this out based on what you stated.

So if this is a ups vehicle, and has air brakes, and you are a ups employee, I would talk to the head of your feeder department and refuse to drive the tractor.

Sounds like a crank sensor going bad if it's not a road tractor.

Sorry to sound like I'm doubting anything just gathering facts.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there is no advance warning like a "shut down " warning light going off? it sounds like you are completely losing power with no warning. BIG RED TAG ITEM!

i would not drive. speak to the shop manager and tell him your concerns. dot regulations state that you do not have to drive a vehicle that you feel is unsafe.

i am not sure what you can do if they "direct" you to drive it. write up the concern in safety section of the DVIR and they will have to sign off "Ok to operate." make your own copy on the copy/printer. that will alarm the shop manager to the point that he may take it out of service. if you get in an accident because of this you will have grounds for a lawsuit.

hopefully they will address the problem before it comes to that.

if it were me and there was no advance warning of a shutdown and i had given them several tries to remedy the situation , i would not drive it.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Does it have a regen system? I had a rental through peak that would only have the engine light come on for a regen. I was pulling through an intersection when it stalled but I hit the override button and it would make it for another 15 minutes or so.

This tractor needed to regen a lot for some reason.

Indecisi0n

If it happens on the road pull over and call in a break down. Tell them you feel unsafe. After this happens a few times more attention will be paid to it.

trickpony1

I bet the Federal, as well as the state, DOT would be interested in knowing that we are putting commercial vehicles (LCV) that lose power and, hence, controllability on the public highway.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Does it have a regen system? I had a rental through peak that would only have the engine light come on for a regen. I was pulling through an intersection when it stalled but I hit the override button and it would make it for another 15 minutes or so.

This tractor needed to regen a lot for some reason.
does a regen system problem come up when the mechanic plugs in the computer for a fault check?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
No idea on the mechanics side of things.

I think I was in an International...swap tractors so much it's hard to remember. All it did was put the amber engine up on the dash but I think the warning light would turn red and maybe even flash when it was going to shut it down. The tractor barely used any DEF, guessing that was the issue.

Buster 554

I am guessing one of the Kenworths with a 10 speed. They have done this since new. Air brakes have plenty of air in the tanks to bring to a stop unless your going down a mountain. The new trucks break down far more than the older ones and it is not just ours. I see them beside the interstate at least a couple times a week.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You can go your whole shift with the def light on. It will regen on its own on the freeway. If the light stays on write it up at the end of the day. The mechanics love a regen. Easy money

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I am guessing one of the Kenworths with a 10 speed. They have done this since new. Air brakes have plenty of air in the tanks to bring to a stop unless your going down a mountain. The new trucks break down far more than the older ones and it is not just ours. I see them beside the interstate at least a couple times a week.

Don't worry. Even if you run out of air you are going to stop. Whether you want to or not.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Don't worry. Even if you run out of air you are going to stop. Whether you want to or not.
if you wait too long and start going faster and faster and you lose air the brakes become weaker and weaker and hotter and hotter, thus less effective. when the spring brakes apply it will be too late and you won't stop.

however, you are right if you are not going too fast. pull over as soon as possible.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@greengrenades , I doubt you can refuse to drive that unit. It is being reported as fixed/ready to run. Unless your Business Agent has precedent setting decisions for this. I would reiterate what others have said about copying the DVIR (or have union request copies, probably a better idea). It sounds like you have a run (as opposed to CPU work). If you have to slow down to run the right lane (to make sure you can get to the breakdown lane/shoulder), you might want to do so. When it shuts down, will it restart? Right away or after waiting? Are you recording the breakdown on road every time?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Cant you switch it out for another truck from the hub? If i start at a different center and my a/c doesn't work i switch that truck out the next day on my turnaround at the hub