Question- work on Sunday?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by coolslice, Nov 13, 2014.

1. coolslice

coolslice New Member

I don't visit here much, but I was just curious if anyone has been told that you will be working a Sunday? We are having a normal workday the day after Thanksgiving, and just this week we were told we would be working on Sunday Dec. 21st. They said other sunday's may be a possibility. This is not going over well at our building, and the union is clueless (as usual) as to the pay, etc.. Has anyone else heard this?
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  2. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I get the bad feeling they are going to pull out all the stops especially if we get some nasty weather.
  3. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

If a person works a Sunday, the next Friday is time and 1/2 (Since it is working a 6th day)
  4. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

34 hour reset?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. BrownTexas

BrownTexas Well-Known Member

They can't force you to work a Saturday or a Sunday. It is all voluntary unless you sign up for it.
  6. Bottom rung

Bottom rung Active Member

Sunday was double time here last year. Volunteer only. Not allowed to work Saturday if you wanted to work Sunday.
  7. OLDMAN3

OLDMAN3 Guest

Just try to force me to work Sunday! See what happens.:2guns:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

In my local, you can't be forced to work on Sunday....
  9. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

You can be on the clock 60 hrs a week. And you need a 34 hr reset window. You can't work 7 days a week as a UPS package car driver. Your ORS fall under the same rules.
  10. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

They are talking about the Sunday before Christmas. With Christmas being a day off (for now) that would satisfy the no 7 day rule.
  11. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

I agree. However if they are talking about the Sunday before x-mass than they will probably want to work the Sat before x-mass in that case they would a issue.
  12. smapple

smapple Member

I can't work Sundays, I use the weekends to get my life together.
  13. bleedinbrown58

Lol if you want a chance to stay on past peak....if they ask you to work an extra smile and ask what time?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. smapple

smapple Member

Can I reapply in January if they let me go after peak for that? Because I've been letting HR and supes know since beginning that I can't work Sundays and they say okay don't worry about it.
  15. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

If we do work a Sunday, their attitude will change. I would think the only Sunday we'd work is Dec 21, and that is crunch time, so saying no might very well upset management enough where you'd get a "no rehire" status. Hope this doesn't happen to you, but sups probably don't know we'd be working any Sats, so they say what they say.
  16. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

The Day Sort in my building will be working every Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving. Would not be surprised it they start a week before. Brings in a lot of double shifters.
  17. bleedinbrown58

You can reapply but a lot of buildings don't hiring again till around March.
  18. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

March Madness!
  19. Capt. Awesome

Capt. Awesome New Member

I heard from a supervisor that changes are coming for people coming under the new contact and they said "be ready for anything.."
  20. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

Working Saturday or Sunday year round:rofl:

Working Saturday or Sunday during football season:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: